Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Film and Digital Harmony

Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film and Digital Harmony

I appreciate the feedback/comments I have been getting on my recent film uploads. When I sold my digital camera, I knew that there would be some "challenges" that I would have to deal with. Film is not cheap, takes a while to get developed, doesn't have the tools that we take for granted in the bodies we have now (Live View, Histogram, etc) - but that is what makes this fun. I enjoy challenges. My buddies who I shoot with (they post mostly over at NPN) thought I was kinda crazy to go to film - so I kinda have something to prove with every roll of film I shoot with.

I am posting a few images from the same location; in both mediums. Sadly I have no interesting stories to go with these or how they were made. An uninteresting quick 40 minute hike from the trailhead and I was here. The digital ones were taken mid afternoon on a dreary day, and the film one was made mid morning. I wanted to get the sunstar on my last visit to this place.

Obviously you can tell what is digital and which one is film. When I pick up a D3 I may head back up here to compare if the equipment used will make even more of a difference.. I do get tired of using old equipment and being at a "disadvantage"

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0qsF4aXrnWw/T2pIFED9m7I/AAAAAAAAFjw/9B9FWKoXo3k/s800/Ruckel-Oregon-Live.jpg

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fO2aiG-b0Rc/Tyx-dbH6VyI/AAAAAAAAGFk/GsVHiE62CxQ/s893/Ruckel-in-Motion.jpg

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-zyU2GmS2nac/UB9BXtQeovI/AAAAAAAAG6U/iHlwW7aGnXI/s900/Ruckel-Drunk-Film.jpg

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:05 AM
Garrick L
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film and Digital Harmony

All three are nice shots Dustin. Number 2 to me is the best comp and best overall of the three, motion blur and all. Number 1 is my second pick and number 3 in last place of the three mainly because the shadows are a tad to dark for my taste. With all this said, I really applaud you for your recent adventure with film. I've been there and done that for a lot of years and for me, I have no desire to shoot film again with the versatility of the DSLR.

Cheers,

-Garry

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:40 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film and Digital Harmony

Hey Dustin,

Nice shots here. And remember, not every photo has to have some life threatening story to go with it to make it interesting...

#1 I think is my favorite here.

As to a D3... I think if you could get your hands on a D3... well... you might just forget how to even spell the word "film"...

Jim

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:57 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film and Digital Harmony

Thanks for the feedback guys. I only posted these images from this place, as I haven't yet gotten stuff developed from anywhere else that I have shot both film and digital to compare the two. It was said that the 1Ds had a "film" look to it, but I am not seeing it, lol.

And Jim, you are perhaps correct about the D3 .

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:35 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film and Digital Harmony

Interesting comparison, I think you would need to take the pictures at the same location and time to really get a good comparison though. You can't really tell if the big differences are the medium or the time of day.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:44 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film and Digital Harmony

Dustin,

Great set. Interestingly, there is a similar image to your no. 2 posted by Mark on this forum also. His is a digital manipulation of 15 images!

You have achieved almost similar effects more simplistically, I hope

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:19 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film and Digital Harmony

I actually cannot tell which ones are film or digital.
My best guess is that number one is digital while the others are film?

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

helenica
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Film and Digital Harmony

Lovely set! The abundance of green radiates peacefullnes.

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Amador
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Film and Digital Harmony

Very nice. the 3rd is a bit contrasty for my taste, but the first two are very nice.

Chris

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Film and Digital Harmony

Thanks for the comments! The first two are digital and third one is film. I took the first two shots last year or the year before, and took the film one this past june.

Marks shot is great! He no doubt knows much more than i do about photoshop and it shows . My approach is simple. I have never owned a camera with live view, my lens is fully manual and i dont own any filters, so makes things easier. These images are all single shots.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:29 PM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Film and Digital Harmony

Lovely works. First 2 for me. The 3rd's contrast feels a little too strong for me.

Barry

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:27 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Film and Digital Harmony

I am with Barry here about 3. I love the first two and especially 2 is a wonderful image with so much detail and awesome light.
Ute

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:54 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Film and Digital Harmony

The first is sharper and better exposed and I think digital. it is also a stunner

Morris

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password