FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Palouse Sunset

Aaron Cowan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Palouse Sunset

This set is mostly from a Sunday afternoon drive a couple weeks ago. The first shot, though, has been hanging around for over a month. I haven't gotten out too often, but considering how busy I've been my photo time hasn't taken a big hit. Here are a few shots from the Palouse at sunset. Any and all C&C is very welcome and much appreciated.

1. Sunset below Kamiak. This is a single shot cropped to a 1x2 pano format. The field in the middle is for grazing horses. They ended up being distracting specks to me so I cropped them out (three or four total).
http://www.aaroncowanphotos.com/Recent-Additions/Recent/i-ksZCVM2/0/L/Abbott-Rd-Sunset-L.jpg

2. Not sunset, but getting closer. During the drive I happened to find a road going up to some wind turbine construction. As usual, I liked this lone tree. The sun rays were very faint. I brought them out more with a layer painted in. This is a wider shot taken with the 24-105L.
http://www.aaroncowanphotos.com/Recent-Additions/Recent/i-BvrT9Dk/0/L/Steam-Shovel-Hill-Tree-L.jpg

3. Further up the hill and later in the day this scene caught my eye. Taken with the 400 F/5.6.
http://www.aaroncowanphotos.com/Recent-Additions/Recent/i-mSBwm2p/0/L/Steam-Shovel-Hill-Sunset-L.jpg

4. Finally sunset. I didn't have a particular sunset place in mind. However, the clouds and color were pretty nice and this scene finally made me pull over when viewed through my rear view. I used a 2-stop reverse GND.
http://www.aaroncowanphotos.com/Recent-Additions/Recent/i-x8fhhgj/0/L/Greer-Rd-Sunset-L.jpg

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Palouse Sunset

Nice set. 1 & 3 are my favorites.

John

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Palouse Sunset

Hey Aaron,

It's great that you are getting out still and shooting a bit. #1 and 3 are my favorites too here, but all of them are nice.

Jim

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:53 AM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Palouse Sunset

Love the soft colors of the first--they lend a very pastoral feeling to the image. I also like the third. I'm always a sucker for the "detail shots" around the Palouse, especially when the light is captured as you've done here.

Dave

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:27 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Palouse Sunset

Lovely series! #1 really catches my eye the most. Very nice work!

-Nick

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:34 AM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Palouse Sunset

NIce set Aaron, The first, second and third all catch my eye. Great light throughout. Love the rays in the second one. Rick

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:12 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Palouse Sunset

Great set, my favorite is No. 3. The layers and the lighted tops just make for a great painting like effect.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:12 AM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Palouse Sunset

Delightful set, here, Aaron. The 3rd is terrific!

Barry

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:19 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Palouse Sunset

Wonderful set, Aaron. 1 and 2 have a slight edge for me. Nicely done on all.

JBR

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Palouse Sunset

Thank you all very much for the feedback; its much appreciated.

Rick: The rays were really faint and I'm surprised they showed up well enough for me to attempt to locally increase the contrast but not overdo it.

AMaji and Dave: I too love the early morning/late afternoon light just skimming the hills. The Palouse is a great region.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:11 PM
paddy19

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Palouse Sunset

All are gorgeous but I like #1 and the clouds in 2 are wonderful Aaron!

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Palouse Sunset

Thank you very much for the feedback, Paddy.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:36 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.