New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · PSDs vs laptop for storage & initial filtering

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PSDs vs laptop for storage & initial filtering

I am going on a major photo tour (Great Bear Rainforest) in two months. I have been advised by the photographer who leads this tour that it is best to shoot in high burst mode in most cases and that my current PSD (Personal Storage Device) capacity of about 4500 pictures is very likely insufficient. My PSD is an old Hyperdrive. I have already upgraded the internal drive to 128GB, which is the max the unit can hold.

So I am now considering alternatives (I may still take it with me and start off doing dual backups). I first thought of an iPad but didn't realize 64GB is top end storage. Same problem with tablets. I am thinking about 350GB minimum for a PSD or 500GB minimum for a laptop.

What I like about a PSD is it is more compact and lightweight. What I like about a small laptop (like the Dell Inspiron 13z) is that it would be very usable for doing some initial filtering of pictures (in the evenings after a shoot, waiting for flights, on the flights). I know some PSDs have screens for viewing images, but I would think they are too small for a 'serious' (avid, passionate, etc.) photographer to make real determinations on.

Have I overlooked any options besides laptops, tablets, iPads and PSDs? I am open to suggestions for compact, lightweight options for dumping cards onto (and preferably doing some filtering).

Thanks!

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:50 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PSDs vs laptop for storage & initial filtering

Forgot to mention. I am looking for a solution under $700; preferably in the $400 to $600 range.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:27 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PSDs vs laptop for storage & initial filtering

Unfortunately the market or PSDs has petered out. You may be able to fInd a used colorspace UDMA. They are fine up to 750GB.

EBH

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:29 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PSDs vs laptop for storage & initial filtering

Thanks EBH. It seems like the market for the 'mini' laptops has petered out too. Just curious, what do you use?

Must be a lot of people out there using some form of backup devices; some with screens for reviewing images. I would really like to hear what you are using (keeping in mind that I don't want the bulk, weight nor cost of a full size laptop).

Thanks

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:52 AM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PSDs vs laptop for storage & initial filtering

Lots of mini laptops on the net...try B&H and Asus 11" - 13" (approx.).
I'd buy another Hyperdrive if they included USB 3.0 FYI.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:35 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PSDs vs laptop for storage & initial filtering

matt4626 wrote:
Lots of mini laptops on the net...try B&H and Asus 11" - 13" (approx.).
I'd buy another Hyperdrive if they included USB 3.0 FYI.

I recently inquired about this myself...but after seeing the costs for a PSD and what you get, I thought a mini 'netbook' would be a better choice. The smallest mini laptops are surprisingly small and will simply do (almost) everything a PSD does for less money while being far more useful. Even the battery life ratings are generally much better on the small netbooks than on any of the PSD's I've seen. About the only thing you might give up is some space (but not as much as you might think) and maybe a little faster 'boot-up time but for the additional flexibilty, I think a small netbook is far more useful.

Omar

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:07 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.