New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Film Scanner Question

rattymouse
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film Scanner Question

Hello all,

I have NO idea how to shop for a film scanner as the terminology and specs don't mean much to me. I'd like to buy a film scanner but am bewildered by the options. Epson's V700 is most often mentioned as the one that gives the best bang per dollar. In China it is particularly expensive compared to the US, about $1000. I see the V600 for less money but can't really tell what I would give up if I went with that. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Also, the CanoScan 9000F is priced nice. How does that compare to the Epsons? Canon does not seem to get good reviews for their scanners.

Thanks!!

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:44 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film Scanner Question

I suppose you want it to scan 120 film from your recently acquired Fuji 645? According to reviews, the Canon is in the same league as the Epson, but both nowhere near a dedicated film scanner.

You can take a look at: www.filmscanner.info they've got some good reviews.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:48 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film Scanner Question

edwardkaraa wrote:
I suppose you want it to scan 120 film from your recently acquired Fuji 645? According to reviews, the Canon is in the same league as the Epson, but both nowhere near a dedicated film scanner.

You can take a look at: www.filmscanner.info they've got some good reviews.

Thank you, I'll have a look at the link you supplied after work.

You are right, my interest is only in 120 size film.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:53 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film Scanner Question

I own the V600 and have used the V750 extensively. The V700/50 can do 4x5 for one thing, so that's a big difference. You can do contact sheets with a 700, whereas you can't with the 600.

I've been able to do okay scans of 120 film with my V600. I think the V700/750 holders are a bit better, but the 600's holder is okay. The 700/750 lets you do two strips at a time, whereas the 600 limits you to one strip (which is essentially two images, at least if you're doing 6x7 like me).

The software's a bit different, I think, but not much. It's mostly just a different download.

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:05 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film Scanner Question

If you don't mind a bit older Epson scanner, the Epson 4990 is a very good flat bed scanner.
It's not quite up to the Epson 700/750 series but I do all of my MF negatives with it

Dan

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.