Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

rushmore22
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

This was taken at the mid point of a hike near Vail. Hot enough to swim, so why not? I used an SB-28 set with Cactus V5 and an Omni-bounce diffuser. Mid afternoon.

NIKON D7000    AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens    50mm    f/5.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Aug 06, 2012 at 01:59 AM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

Flash looks a little low as noted by the catchlight below her pupil. But the shadow on the left side of her nose and from her hands casting on her neck are the more awkward aspects of the lower flash position for me.

I'm curious at distance of flash to subject regarding the falloff (or is that PP) from her stomach to her hip. I think I like the falloff, but not the low angle so much. Depending on your intent, the tonal value of her face could be a touch brighter to draw your eye up a bit more, (product of lower flash placement).

Those are a couple of things that grab my attention regarding the lighting. Typically our eye will draw first to brighter tonal values, so what seems to be your flash placement creating a central bright area would suggest by intent, her face isn't your primary effort to draw the eye.

Maybe you could speak a bit to your flash placement intent. Otherwise, you've handled the strong backlighting fairly nice regarding exposure levels.

BTW ... ya might want to include a NSFW (not safe for work, or wives ) warning in your title.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:49 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

Too bright fill ight from below, as Kent mentioned, is a problem. It casts shadows on the top of the nose and into the under-eyes that seem unnatural and sometimes a little sinister. That's why the old flashlight-under-the-chin works on Halloween.

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:36 PM
rushmore22
• •
p.1 #4 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

Great advice. Thank you Kent and Auntipode! Kent, my intent was to light up the whole subject, if anything at all. I should start planning in specifics based on what I just learned. Thanks again.

Jay

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:31 PM
sadja
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

She got some mighty nice humors. I guess I would have used a reflector, or flash fill bounced off a small card, or similar.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:12 PM
rushmore22
• •
p.1 #6 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

Thanks Sadja... we're proud. Yes, a reflector or even a second fill flash could have gotten me a cleaner result.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:29 AM
rushmore22
• •
p.1 #7 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

RustyBug wrote:
Flash looks a little low as noted by the catchlight below her pupil. But the shadow on the left side of her nose and from her hands casting on her neck are the more awkward aspects of the lower flash position for me.

I'm curious at distance of flash to subject regarding the falloff (or is that PP) from her stomach to her hip. I think I like the falloff, but not the low angle so much. Depending on your intent, the tonal value of her face could be a touch brighter to draw your eye up a bit more, (product
...Show more

Kent, the shadows on the nose seem obvious now. The distance was about 4 feet from her. I like the falloff as well; that was original in RAW, though there's some obvious vignetting in the corners, PP. Do you think either a second fill or reflector could have gotten rid of those shadows, or would a single flash at a higher level do the trick?

-Jay

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:34 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

It's all a matter of position - height, angles and distance.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

I really wanted to comment on this image because I like it and we need more participation here. But I am so out of my element on this style for a number of reasons. I am totally ignorant on people, flash and B&W.

I am only making this lame reply because I like this forum and hope it becomes more popular.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:14 PM
rushmore22
• •
p.1 #10 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

ben egbert wrote:
I really wanted to comment on this image because I like it and we need more participation here. But I am so out of my element on this style for a number of reasons. I am totally ignorant on people, flash and B&W.

I am only making this lame reply because I like this forum and hope it becomes more popular.

Thanks Ben. I learn much more from this forum than if I post my images in the others; seems to be more critique and less criticism.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

+1 @ critique vs. criticism

We largely try for the former ... understanding that it still remains a mix of objectivity & subjectivity in varying degree, up to and including "micro-nits" at times.
Just extra sets of eyes to offer varying perspective, consensus or variance, from which one can choose to "use or lose" as it strikes them.

As always, S&P to taste ... but "bring on the pics".

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:17 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

I *love* micro-nits.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Zalllon
• •
p.1 #13 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

Other than what others have said about the fill light, I would definitely source fill above camera slightly to the left reducing shadow from her nose. Also, would have shot it at larger aperture, F/2-3.5.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:51 AM
evillemperor

p.1 #14 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

Well, besides the light not filling in (I also did this on some senior portraits for a couple of my friends) this is great! Good photography starts with a good subject! And you succeeded here! How were you able to convince her?

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:08 AM
rushmore22
• •
p.1 #15 · NSFW: My wife humoring me

evillemperor wrote:
Well, besides the light not filling in (I also did this on some senior portraits for a couple of my friends) this is great! Good photography starts with a good subject! And you succeeded here! How were you able to convince her?

Didn't take much convincing. The lake is not well traveled and the water seemed awfully inviting. thanks for the feedback everyone.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:40 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password