New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

I know the AF of the 5D3 blows these out of the water but was there a big difference in AI Servo mode from the 5D to the 5D2? I had a discussion with my brother about this and he didn't think there was. I haven't played with AI Servo much but the times that I did, I thought the results weren't bad. To clarify, we are talking about optimal center point focus in AI Servo mode, with or without the extra center focus points option turned on.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7247/7598229518_b30f663336_c.jpg

I tried searching but not much popped up with the keywords I was using.

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:14 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

AFAICR no difference between the two in AI Servo.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

Very little real world difference despite some mention of tweaks and improvements for mk II. Both overall average performers in servo once the subjects moved reasonably fast or erratically.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

AI Servo works well with oncoming objects as long as the veocity of the approaching object does not exceed 180mph...somewhat less effective if an extender is used...center point only of course...

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:52 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

Jefferson wrote:
AI Servo works well with oncoming objects as long as the veocity of the approaching object does not exceed 180mph...somewhat less effective if an extender is used...center point only of course...

Thanks for sharing. Your findings are similar to mine since the dog wasn't running anywhere close to 180mph.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:06 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Very little real world difference despite some mention of tweaks and improvements for mk II. Both overall average performers in servo once the subjects moved reasonably fast or erratically.

Can you elaborate on what improvements were there for the mk II? It's been a while and I forgot.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

Haha, the improvements were minor and I suspect mere tweaks to the AF algorithms and processor. Same old AF array. I didn't notice much difference in AI servo but I'm not a servo freakette. On the other hand, the outer AF points worked a wee bit better for me in one shot, especially when using my 50 1.2L. Basically the outer pts hardly worked at all with that lens even in moderately good light (worked fine with my slow zooms). With the 5D2 the outer pts work fairly well with my 50 1.2L save for low light.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

Basically the same.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

In many action pictures, both are not up to the level of 1 series cameras. In many relatively slow pictures in AI servo, with additional center points activated, both can be surprisingly good.

The AF hardware module is the same. The 5DII has a significantly faster processor.

Here is one rare situation, where that processor difference is evident:

I was shooting in AI servo of flight (hovering) pictures of hummingbirds with extremely tight framing (300f4L IS with extension tube at 4.9'). At that close distance the slightest mis-focus is evident.

I pre-focused the lens, and waited for the bird to pop up above the feeder and look around. In perhaps 0.8 seconds, I had to find him in the tight frame, place the focus point on his gorget, acquire focus, have the mirror flip, and get the shot, before he darted back down to feed, or to fly off.

I tried that about 30 times with a 5D1, and it missed 30 times. I gave up and went to zone focusing.

I tried the same thing with 5DII, and it nailed the focus every time. People here on this board didn't believe that, when I showed pictures here about 1.5 years ago. So I showed 4 consecutive (not cherry picked) full frame shots, and the same 4 frames at 100% crops, showing that the focus was dead on. In one of the four pictures I showed, there were TWO ants on his beak (Keep in mind he is flying, not perching on a branch). In that 100% crop you can count 10 individual ant legs on his beak (because two of the 12 legs were behind other ant legs!!!

That said, 7D and 1 series are a better choice for action pictures.

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

datousteve wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Your findings are similar to mine since the dog wasn't running anywhere close to 180mph.

slow dog

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

5D2 tracks pretty well unless the subject is close and then it can be fairly bad

tracks better than my 20-50D did, tracks better than 7D in many circumstances too although worse in others

1D2n tracked well, although for distant objects the 5D2 could be about the same, but closer and especially close and rapid speed or speed change 1D2n was much better

5D3 appears to track as well or better than all of them under any situation, in very limited usage so far

never used the 5D, some say the AF is the same but others say the 5D2 is a bit faster and acts like a few things have definitely been tweaked

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

5Dc...200 f/2.8...AI Servo...and a fast dog...

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-JBLFDDw/0/L/i-JBLFDDw-L.jpg

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:07 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

ears lifted for takeoff!

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · AI Servo of 5D Classic and 5D2

Jefferson wrote:
5Dc...200 f/2.8...AI Servo...and a fast dog...

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-JBLFDDw/0/L/i-JBLFDDw-L.jpg

fabulous shots!!!

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.