Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

Lovin_Photos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

Hello All-

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, so mods, please feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

For those who use the Canon 100mm L Macro, do any of you experience the focus shift/move when trying to focus on a subject handheld? When halfway pressing the shutter button, the focus locks until the IS activates, then the focus starts to move/shift.

I'm not sure if this is normal for this lens or if I'm doing something wrong, but I would appreciate any input on this matter.

Thanks!

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:10 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #2 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

Do you have the camera in One Shot mode? AI Focus and AI Servo will continue to update focus. Also, do you have the beep turned on or off? If off, it's quite possible that the focus isn't actually locked. IS comes on as soon as you begin metering, and doesn't care if the camera is focused or not. The beep is annoying, but can sometimes be helpful for confirming focus lock.

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Lovin_Photos

p.1 #3 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

Thanks for responding. I had the camera on One Shot and with the beep on - and yes, I agree it is annoying but it does help. It's the strangest thing, but I've never had a macro lens with IS so I wasn't sure if I have a defective one or if it's a normal thing with IS on a macro.

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:35 PM
birdfreak12
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

I thought I might be going wacko myself. I noticed my 100L does the same thing; changing focus points. I couldn't figure out what was happening. Is there specific settings I can set camera to so this doesn't happen? I normally shoot in One shot and manual settings.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lovin_Photos

p.1 #5 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

Manual setting here as well. I've tried AV & TV and the shift/movement still occurs.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:39 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #6 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

Have you guys tried it using a single focus point, such as just the central one?

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:43 PM
birdfreak12
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

I keep the central point selected. I also notice that my focus seems to be off to the right? If I send to Canon will they do calibration check when cleaning?

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Lovin_Photos

p.1 #8 · Canon 100mm L Focus Shift?

I do. I'm usually shooting with the center point.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:54 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password