New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

I have a pre-Nehalem Mac Pro running Snow Leopard and an Epson 3880 that have worked beautifully together, printing from Lightroom 4.1 and sometimes Photoshop CS 5. I've kept Epson drivers updated.

Very suddenly, after making a good print through LR, nothing seems to print. The USB connection seems fine - supply levels are reported, and there are no error messages. When I finish the dialog and hit the print button, I hear the HD doing its usual chatter as if it's spooling the data to the printer, but the printer (which says Ready) does nothing.

I don't see any references to this in Epson or Mac support forums, so I thought I'd see if I could get a quick answer here.

TIA.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:56 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

I suggest trying a computer reboot and printer off/on. If still a no go uninstall/re-install the printer. I run MACPRO Nehalem and 2880 and "sometimes" have to do this..

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

gpchase wrote:
I suggest trying a computer reboot and printer off/on. If still a no go uninstall/re-install the printer. I run MACPRO Nehalem and 2880 and "sometimes" have to do this..

I already tried reboot, printer off/on, and reinstalled printer driver. Is there a way to uninstall the hardware?
I just tried printing to an old Epson 3800 with a different USB cable in a different port - same behavior.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

Tried a print from "Numbers"; no go either, so I guess it's a Mac problem or a Mac/Epson problem. What seems most bizarre to me is that I did a print with no problems, then suddenly nothing.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

OK, got it. I had re-installed the printer driver to no effect, but uninstalling the printers through system preferences and reinstalling got them both printing. Craziness...but a simple fix if it should happen again. I thought I was going to have to get into Time Machine...

gpchase, thanks very much for the idea!

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:46 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

look up reset osx printer system........

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x

To use the Reset Printing System function in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x, follow these steps:

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

Thanks howardm4. I chose to simply remove and reinstall, figuring that reset would delete my preset print parameters. In any case, it worked. Thanks for taking time to post detailed steps. It may be of use to the next person with a similar problem!

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:51 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mac Pro, LR and PS won't print to Epson 3880

Glad it worked..not sure why this happens...usually for me it's when I reboot my machine..something re-numbers my MACPRO

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.