Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Dropped Canon Camera

John Rose

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Dropped Canon Camera

I dropped my Canon 1ds with a 24-70 F1.4 lens on it. It bent the end where the filter fits but it works fine. Could Canon rebuild the lens for me and would it be worthwhile ?

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Dropped Canon Camera

A 24-70 1.4
I think everyone around here wants to see that beast. Please post images

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:54 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Dropped Canon Camera

24-70 f1.4??

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Dropped Canon Camera

I'm guessing you mean something like the 50/1.4?

If its that one then a repair may not be a viable cost. I know canon service them quite cheaply for the motor issue but I'm not sure about anything else

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:56 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #5 · Dropped Canon Camera

Canon can rebuild the lens, assuming they have the parts. Double check which lens you have as f1.4 is not available on a 24-70mm lens. Whether it is worthwhile is up to you....Canon will give you an estimate and you can decide on whether it is worth it or not to repair it.

I personally would recommend sending it in to Canon as dropping a lens can do more damage than what you can visibly see and they can inspect it internally. by dropping it, did it shift one of the elements inside?

some more details might help everyone---how far was the drop, did it land on concrete?, what part of the camera/lens did it land on? Did it just slip off your shoulder or was it more forceful than that? If you can give a pic of the damage that would help also

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:14 PM
vetkrazy
• •
p.1 #6 · Dropped Canon Camera

I am going to assume that you dropped your 24-70 f/2.8 Several years ago my 5d and my 24-70 hit my concrete driveway. Was not a pretty sight. Like yours the filter ring was bent. A trip to Canon Irvine also revealed a damaged focus motor. Don't remember the exact cost but between $200-300. The lens came back just as good as new. Been over 2 years and still works perfectly. Go ahead and send it in for an estimate.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Dropped Canon Camera

Sorry about the damage, but I have to wonder, ... no lenshood, hunh?

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:39 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #8 · Dropped Canon Camera

I've dropped lots of stuff. Check at 100% and keep shooting. Why fix it if it still works. Although at some point you might have to if/when it quits working. My 18-135 has something rattling around inside and other issues but if i get it focused iq seems fine

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:40 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #9 · Dropped Canon Camera

Dropped my 50/1.8 and popped front group out twice. Popped it back in use it on aps but not 5d. Seems sharp enough.

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #10 · Dropped Canon Camera

Dropped my 1D2 & 16-35L. Both needed repair total cost around $500.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:30 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #11 · Dropped Canon Camera

i would send both in for service and repair, been there myself almost 10 yeas ago with the 1Ds and 24-70L, except my lens snapped in half.

camera didn't look affected, but apparently things inside had gotten loose, that was a 6 feet drop on a tripod to a concrete floor.

sorry to hear this

Henrik

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:08 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Dropped Canon Camera

Sorry about the damage, send it in and get a quote. Canon will be more than glad to fix it for a price...

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:12 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #13 · Dropped Canon Camera

If it aint broke.....

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:36 PM
michaels photo

p.1 #14 · Dropped Canon Camera

AmbientMike wrote:
If it aint broke.....

... dont fix it!

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:44 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #15 · Dropped Canon Camera

Tons of older mf metal lenses have filter rim dings. Mostly nobody cared just mark it down $10-20 on a $200 lens and put it in description when you sell it.

There's really no guarantee it was going to work next time anyway.

Hahaha michaels photo!

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:53 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #16 · Dropped Canon Camera

Might be a good time to join CPS to get a discounted and expedited repair before you send it in . . .

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:02 PM
langdoy
• •
p.1 #17 · Dropped Canon Camera

Hey, I actually bought a 24-70 a long time ago on ebay with the same issue you have now. The end was bent in so that means no filter could be used. I didn't know before I bought it, but they gave me some cash back. The glass was perfect. The kicker was that the seller took a wrench to bend it back. You could even see the teeth marks from the wrench, which bent in all the threading.

Anyway, I used it as is, like others said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can always use a hood.

Eventually the lens went haywire on me. There was lots of lens creep, the zoom ring was very loose, and the final straw was that it wouldn't AF other than at 24mm. So I signed up for CPS gold to get the 2 free clean and checks and used one on the lens. Surprisingly, they fixed everything! It was like a new lens. Shocker?...no charge!

Not bad for a $600 bent up lens which I ended up using for 3 years and selling a few weeks ago for $1150. Granted, this was the NJ repair facility. I hear they are just about the best.

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password