Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Albion basin

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Albion basin

Alta Ski resort is part of Albion Basin, known for wildflowers in summer, but not this year.

These were taken last week on the way back from Cecret lake. I went back yesterday for improvements but not to be, last week was better and now I must wait a year.

Two shots, like your comments on all aspects.

Albion basin 1

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Albion basin 2

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Albion basin

Ben,

Lovely scene. I've taken the liberty of re-working #1 to brighten (Viveza 2) and attempt to introduce some depth via T&S blur in CS6. If you object I will happily pull the post.

For a guy from the east & southeast, I am always in awe of the beauty of the west and northwest. Enjoy your images very much,

Regards,

Bob

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Albion basin

Thanks for your offering, always good to get different takes.

The ironic thing is that these were both taken with the Canon 17TSE lens, but I used the tilt feature to make everything sharp.

Please do not take it down.

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Albion basin

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks for your offering, always good to get different takes.

The ironic thing is that these were both taken with the Canon 17TSE lens, but I used the tilt feature to make everything sharp.

Please do not take it down.

No problem

Yes, the irony of T&S lens is entertaining. And, your goal of sharpness across the full image was very successful.

regards,

bob

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:14 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Albion basin

Like the story of the Three Bears there are images Too hot, Too color or like your "Just Right"

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:55 PM
othfilm
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Albion basin

Bob Jarman wrote:
Lovely scene. I've taken the liberty of re-working #1 to brighten (Viveza 2) and attempt to introduce some depth via T&S blur in CS6. If you object I will happily pull the post.

I think its the brightness that adds the depth the most for me, because its only at the very bottom that I actually notice the T/S depth. Definitely sharp across the frame in the original, but, it seems emphasizing the foreground a little makes it a stronger shot

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Albion basin

+1 @ foreground brightness (vs. blur) being the hero of the rework.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Albion basin

So should the brightness be added just to the foreground? Maybe blended up to the tree line?

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Albion basin

Ben, as usual you have two beautiful, clean images. I like them both but prefer the composition of the second image.

You complained about the limited number of wildflowers this year. Looks like a lot to me but if you want to emphasize the flowers, then get lower and closer.

I hope you don't mind, but I am posting an example. I have greatly downsized this so I give and example without taking away from your images. Let me know if you want me to remove this.

I took this at Two Medicine Lake and had very little to work with. Thousands of tourists a day have trampled down the shoreline. There was only a very small clump of flowers about 10" tall that have survived.

Flowers at Two Medicine Lake

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Albion basin

Hi Jim, no problem with you including your shot. Nice shot by the way.

Both of mine were taken from a sitting position, which is about as low as I can get. 17mm FF tends to make everything look small even when close. The upslope terrain also tends to minimize the effect of the close flowers.

Yesterday I took shots at 24mm and even used a 1.4X on my 24TSE to magnify the near flowers. Mixed results on that effort, plus the flowers were past prime.

Edit, here is one from yesterday that has the flowers emphasized to the greatest extent I could muster. Taken too late in the day for good color. Also last week had a bit of cloud cover for a better sky and was done much earlier.

from yesterday

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/8.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 05, 2012 at 06:18 PM
HiredGoon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Albion basin

Nice shots of the Albion Basin there, Ben. I'm tempted to book a flight back to Utah.

I'm also going against popular opinion here but I prefer your unmodified #1 shot. To me the mountains appear more natural, the way I remember them, than in the modified version posted above.

[FWIW I have a 27" LCD monitor, not high gamut but calibrated today with Spyder 4 Pro hardware, viewing with Chrome browser]

It's a shame about the wildflowers this year. I was up there late summer last year and I think there were much more flowers in bloom back then. And the lake probably had more water as well.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:43 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Albion basin

HiredGoon wrote:
Nice shots of the Albion Basin there, Ben. I'm tempted to book a flight back to Utah.

I'm also going against popular opinion here but I prefer your unmodified #1 shot. To me the mountains appear more natural, the way I remember them, than in the modified version posted above.

[FWIW I have a 27" LCD monitor, not high gamut but calibrated today with Spyder 4 Pro hardware, viewing with Chrome browser]

It's a shame about the wildflowers this year. I was up there late summer last year and I think there were much more flowers in bloom back then. And
...Show more

Yep, I posted the lake last week. Not many flowers there either. Last week was overcast hence the darker look. I think flowers look better in that light than in bright sun.

Been really hot. Going to do the Nebo loop this week then up to Provo Falls.

Chrome is only a big problem on a WG monitor.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:25 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Albion basin

It's difficult to make moving landscapes with ordinary daylight. Much easier with the light around sunrise and sunset. Broad daylight gives most otherwise promising scenes a "ho-hum" reaction.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:51 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Albion basin

AuntiPode wrote:
It's difficult to make moving landscapes with ordinary daylight. Much easier with the light around sunrise and sunset. Broad daylight gives most otherwise promising scenes a "ho-hum" reaction.

I guess this was supposed to be a picture of wild flowers and as such required a more abundant show. This would have been a sunrise location as I am facing west. This first morning had nice clouds but I don't recall color as I was driving in. Would alpinglow on the mountain and sunrise clouds overshadow the flowers?

In any event I got neither an abundant show of flowers or dramatic light. Perhaps next year.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:10 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Albion basin

AuntiPode wrote:

Yep. I've seen a number of photos lately taken at what appears to be close to noon. It's not the most flattering time of day.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Albion basin

Actually the first two I posted were taken before 9:00PM. Sunrise here is 6:30 but because of local mountains closer to 7:00. But these images were taken near the end of a return hike. I was going past this meadow just after sunrise but did not see any better light than this.

But with regard to the last image I posted, you are correct it was much later in the morning.

Still, there are many places that are best done mid day because of deep shadows at golden hour. Many southwest canyons come to mind.

Dramatic sky's always help, but they don't always need to be red. Big cumulus clouds against a clear blue sky are always impressive. Light direction is important to provide contrast. Often contrast is ruined at sunrise/sunset if it is too directly on the subject.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Albion basin

Here is a 100% crop of the flowers. This detail would be seen in a print, but is hard to appreciate at web size.

100% crop of the second image

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password