Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Kenko VS Canon

Wildlifepics
• •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · Kenko VS Canon

Going to get a 1.4 T.C. Looking at Canon 1.4 and Kenko Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x . Undecided because Kenko will work with any lens but Canon wont because of protruding front element . Will be using mostly on Canon 1D Mark three . Any thoughts ?

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Kenko VS Canon

both canon and nikon converters are specifically designed to work with specific lenses. they will do the best job of any when used in those proper combinations.

you can go with the "jack of all trades" but you do get the master of none if you do.

Edited on Aug 05, 2012 at 01:41 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Kenko VS Canon

I have tried both brands religiously on all my big lenses, 300 f2.8, 500 and 600mm. AS well as my 70-200 f2.8 and 400 f5.6.
Kenko performed well but I always went back to Canon.
I only use Canon lenses so I stuck with Canon. I have the 2x and 1.4 TC Type II's and they out perform any Kenko Pro I had.
The IQ was much better.
Good luck!
Dan

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:34 PM
atsi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Kenko VS Canon

A direct comparison of a Kenko against a Canon TC on a 500 F4 showed a little more fringing at 200% pixel peeking on the Kenko. I own the Kenko and have no reason to switch.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:01 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Kenko VS Canon

I have a Kenko Pro DGX 300 1.4x and Canon 1.4x III.
I haven't done too many tests, but my general observations are:
- on "lesser" lenses, like the 300f4IS or 100-400, there is less difference
- on my 300f2.8 the difference seems greater
- on crop, there is less difference
- center resolution and contrast are similar
- Canon is better on edges
- Canon has a bit less CA
- I have not noticed an AF advantage

My take for you:
On the lower resolution 1.3 crop sensor there will be little difference.
Your lenses will be a factor.
But if you want the best possible performance the Canon wins.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:51 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Kenko VS Canon

Kenko will work with more lenses, especially non-Canon. IIRC, Kenko warns against using the TC on lenses shorter thaqn 100MM.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:08 PM
michaels photo

p.1 #7 · Kenko VS Canon

I have a Kenko 1.4 coming and should relax as I do not need a great one just want one in case I may need/want it. But for some reason my gut/head/heart keep looking at the Canon 1.4. I got such a great deal on the Kenko, I could not pass it up!

I am pretty sure it is just the name/brand thing for me. I may keep the Kenko for my black L lenses and get the Canon for my white L lenses! I will try the Kenko and if it works for me great, if not, sell it and use Canon!

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Kenko VS Canon

The 1.4x III raises the overall IQ bar and cuts the CA. I have two of the Canon 1.4x II and the super Kenyo 1.4x as well. I hope never to use them again.

EBH

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Kenko VS Canon

The Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC has essentially the same IQ as the Canon EF 1.4x Extender Mk I and Mk II. As EB says, the EF 1.4x III has noticeably lower CA, and the III is also noticeably sharper at the edges and in the corners.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:35 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #10 · Kenko VS Canon

EB-1 wrote:
The 1.4x III raises the overall IQ bar and cuts the CA. I have two of the Canon 1.4x II and the super Kenyo 1.4x as well. I hope never to use them again.

EBH

Sell them, then. Someone (me) will always want to buy a Canon/Kenko 1.4x

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:52 PM
michaels photo

p.1 #11 · Kenko VS Canon

Well I got my Kenko 300 Pro 1.4 today and I must say, I like it! I cannot compare it to a Canon as I do not have one, but I do not think I need to spend the $$$ on a Canon either.

I tested it on my 400mm 5.6L and my 70-200mm 2.8L V2 and they AF worked great on the 70-200mm, no problems on the 70-200mm 2.8, at all.

I can see/tell the AF is a little slower on the 400mm 5.6 and cannot lock in as well as the bare 400mm w/o TC.

I have not done a test, on image quality, I just tested the AF and checked the differences of reach on my 5D2 and 40D. Raining too hard for me to go out and set up.

I have a question though, hopefully someone could help with my math or tell me if I am wrong on the equation.

On my: 5D2 + 400mm + 1.4 = 560mm >>>correct?

So would'nt it come out this on the 40D?

40D + 400mm + 1.6 CV + 1.4 = 896mm >>>

The reason I ask is when I look at the data on the image information, it still said I was shooting 560mm focal length on both cameras.

It is not a problem I just want to know if I am right or wrong on my math. Never really used a TC before and I use FF bodies mostly, but I got the 40D as a back-up and to get a little closer to Wildlife if needed.

Thanx in advance!

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:53 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #12 · Kenko VS Canon

40D + 400mm + 1.6 CV + 1.4 = 896mm

Wrong, and I wonder if the myth of "extra reach" with a crop sensor camer will ever die.

The only thing your 1.6X crop sensor will do is exactly what the word "crop " means: it will crop the image in the same way you would crop it in PS. It will not increase the focal length of your lens -- that is impossible without adding additional imaging elements (which is what you did when you attached the 1.4X extender).

John

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:22 PM
michaels photo

p.1 #13 · Kenko VS Canon

Thanx, Just needed a clarafication.

Wrong, and I wonder if the myth of "extra reach" with a crop sensor camer will ever die.

Probably not.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password