Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Not everyone in China is rich

JTS1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Not everyone in China is rich

At train station in Chongqing. Typical of most of the train stations in China. C&C please.

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Not everyone in China is rich

Hello.

It seems you have some haloing going on, I believe by lowering your clarity slider. The photo has a too fake dreamy effect, which I personally do not like.

The face in the foreground woman has some weird dark spots in her face. I believe this might be due to your processing or did she tatoo her face? I would lower the luminance of her face

The left lower corner distracts quite a bit, it seems like flames.

hope that helps?

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:58 AM
escapehtml
• •
p.1 #3 · Not everyone in China is rich

Not sure what I was expecting with this title or this photo needs more context. But, a young girl that seems relatively warmly dressed, holding a suitcase with a mobile phone in hand seems to be doing fine in my point of view?

I agree with Guari in reducing your effects and processing.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:05 AM
bbourizk
• • •
p.1 #4 · Not everyone in China is rich

no one around her has a phone? so they're poor.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:15 AM
JTS1
• •
p.1 #5 · Not everyone in China is rich

Ok. I get the point on too much processing. I will attach the original photo, unretouched to see what it looked like. Sometimes I go a bit overboard with the post processing.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:45 AM
JTS1
• •
p.1 #6 · Not everyone in China is rich

Here is the original unretouched.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:47 AM
JTS1
• •
p.1 #7 · Not everyone in China is rich

What I do not accept is the comments on poverty. Maybe my post processing masked the situation but these people are quite poor. Some are even down and out.

No place to sleep but the ground in front of the train station.

Parents try to entertain and keep their child happy.

What you see at China's train station is always masses of people.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:50 AM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Not everyone in China is rich

Quite interesting images, thank you.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:53 PM
escapehtml
• •
p.1 #9 · Not everyone in China is rich

JTS1 wrote:
What I do not accept is the comments on poverty. Maybe my post processing masked the situation but these people are quite poor. Some are even down and out.

Are these people going somewhere, hence the train station? If so, they would seem to have adequate train fare and do seem fairly clothed? I am not sure how 'poor' is being interpreted in these photos.

Poor in my eyes is someone that has no where to go, barely clothed and in need of food, shelter, medical attention. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:02 AM

msessions

p.1 #10 · Not everyone in China is rich

I agree with the other comments on the post processing. When you're subjects start looking like they suffer from skin disease, it's time to ease back on the sliders. And it doesn't seem particularly honest to be darkening the images to prove your point.

I'm sure many of the people in those images don't have a lot of money, but they seem to be well clothed and well fed.

I grew up poor. My wife grew up in India in an area that would make those photos seem rich. Being poor does not automatically mean a person is unhappy.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Not everyone in China is rich

Except for the shot of the men sleeping, which is quite good IMHO, the others appear to be really nice snapshots? As to the topic of poor, I didn't think anybody thought that the Chinese people were rich.. Although if this is Hong Kong they appear to be middle class?

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Not everyone in China is rich

It is just really crowded and no place to sit. Have you been to an airport in the US around thanksgiving? People are sitting and sleeping on the ground too .

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:44 PM
hkpeople99

p.1 #13 · Not everyone in China is rich

The rich people in china are the communist members. For the Communist China government officials, "Your wealth is my wealth, my wealth is my wealth"
What you see here sleeping on the ground, I will consider as low to middle class. They left their home to work in the big cities, with a rather low salary. May be US200-300 a month. (Have not been to china for a long time) Their families depend on their salary to survive. Wait till you see their homes, usually in mid west china, then you know what is poor.
Even though some may have money, they are poor spiritually. I may be in trouble if i write this inside China.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Not everyone in China is rich

To me:
1- Your title is entirely valid. The idea that the Chinese people have suddenly become wealthy is poppy-cock. A small percentage has. The rest are slowly improving their ways of life.
2- Your title was perhaps not well chosen, judging by how many people seemed not to understand it. Perhaps a better title would have been along the line of mentioning how crowded it is. 1,000,000,000+ plus people make everywhere crowded , the same as 25 years ago when I last visited China. The biggest noticeable difference is that back then there was NO private car ownership (and no cell phones of course).
About the processing: Yes, it seems a bit overdone (as you've already confessed ).
I'm a minimalist with processing mainly because I'm a documentary-style shooter. Below is my take on your original: auto color, slightly lowered brightness, slightly increased contrast, and finally some sharpening. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it's a possible alternative.
Charlie
PS I really like your basic images .

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:30 PM
the888account
• •
p.1 #15 · Not everyone in China is rich

I think perhaps the better image which fits the title would have been the one of the 2 guys asleep on their bags - although I can see how this looks like they are simply waiting for a train!

I'm not sure where this is in China, but having been a many number of times for work, I reckon there are lot more images that would convey "poverty" much better - assuming that is what you were trying to do.

My instant thoughts are based on my own observations in China:

- Overcrowded homes with 10+ to a room in Shanghai back streets
- People using their Homes / Shops as a "all is one" facility in Shanghai
- Depression and poverty in and around Zuhai
- Tower blocks teaming with thousands of people, most notably hundred upon hundres of items of clothing out to dry on balconies.

Something that you could try to convey, and struck me most - is that whilst I'm sat in my 5* hotel drinking expensive Tsing Tao at 2 a bottle (50p on the street), literally intertwined amognst all other other 5* hotels is extreme poverty.

Images wise, some arent bad at all, I think its just the message doesnt match the capture of the image, as somone above points out - the girl on a mobile phone doesnt scream out "poor" to me, a girl climing through industrial waste looking for money & food would for example.

Cheers

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:37 AM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #16 · Not everyone in China is rich

Just interpreting the ops title here.. If I were rich and well traveled where I live, I would be traveling first class and sitting in a 1st class lounge sipping champagne while waiting for my boarding call. I am not rich, I travel economy, so I sit in the plastic chairs and wait for the boarding call.. I think parallels can be drawn here.. While they may not be rich, it doesn't automatically mean they are poor either

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM
JTS1
• •
p.1 #17 · Not everyone in China is rich

Robin, fair enough. But perhaps if you shared the smell (not because they are dirty - because they don't have money or facilities), you would see how poor is poor. Traveling economy in the US is a sad state, but not because of the travellers. 😃

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password