Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I have yet to order Lightroom and PS, and have just downloaded the Canon software for my 5DIII onto my iMac. What, if any of the programs would I or should I keep one I have my other software?

Digital Photo Professional

EOS Utility (I'm guessing that's a keeper)

Camera Window

Picture Style Editor

Image Browser EX

Coming from a PC, it is interesting trying to learn new software and a new computer platform at the same time. The Mac is slightly less intuitive than I thought it would be. Need some more fumbling around time.

I also have to figure out how to get the firmware update onto the CF card from this machine. When I try to load the update onto the card, I get an error that the computer doesn't recognize the file type and is offering an app for $3.99 to read it. That seems funky. So much to learn.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:41 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I don't know what Camera Window is, sounds useful, I just keep DPP and EOS Utility.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:57 AM
Fred Relaix
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I shoot RAW and use Lightroom and almost nothing else...

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:13 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

EOS Utility is useful if you will ever do tethered shooting, as Lightroom still doesn't support 5D III and EOS Utility allows more control of the camera - like manual focus.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

In the latest DPP, there's a feature called Digital Lens Optimizer that can do some serious improvement to images taken with certain Canon lenses. Doing the raw conversion in DPP for files made with one of those lenses can yield results that you might like better; it's worth experimenting.

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:15 PM
michaels photo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I used the supplied software when I first got my 5D2, I even had LR and PSE already installed.

Then I went to PSE and then LR and now, I use mainly LR. It takes some time to figure out all the ins/outs, but it is great!

I will at some point get rid of all the others and keep LR.

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:27 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Another raw and LR user. LR has tons of great features. Download the free 30 day trial and see what you think.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

What Ernie said. The DLO is quite impressive with some lenses.

You may want the Canon utilities as well, since they provide access to tethered functions.
I'm not such a fan of LR as most. I actually removed that one.

EBH

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Arun Gupta
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Disk space is cheap, no need to delete these tools which may prove to be useful sometime or other. No more disk space than a few dozen 5d3 RAW files.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Great. I appreciate the input. I'm upgrading to Mountain Lion at the moment, but I shall do the trial of LR as soon as I can. I'll let the others hang around a while and see.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Keep. As stated above, disk space is cheap. Windows 7 is very stable and handles high standard software (well-behaved software) very well. Both Windows and Macs try to be smarter than you are, which is a mistake if they don't give you options at every point.

Canon DPP is an excellent Raw converter, but is desperately missing keywording on the Lightroom level (or even the Bridge level). It's UI is a bit clunky, but it gets the job done for basic adjustments in conversion.

DPP now has DLO (Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer) which is very good. The data is "straight from the horse's mouth", as the saying goes.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:36 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Arun Gupta wrote:
Disk space is cheap, no need to delete these tools which may prove to be useful sometime or other. No more disk space than a few dozen 5d3 RAW files.

It's not the disk space it's the tentacles the programs send into the operating system.

I'd keep DPP and Camera Window (if you'll use it) and uninstall the rest. For me I just have DPP.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:42 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I never use the Canon software - aside from entering some user text that is in my EXIF - but I've left it installed on my computer... So take that for what its worth. :-)

Dan

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
I have yet to order Lightroom and PS, and have just downloaded the Canon software for my 5DIII onto my iMac. What, if any of the programs would I or should I keep one I have my other software?

Digital Photo Professional

EOS Utility (I'm guessing that's a keeper)

Camera Window

Picture Style Editor

Image Browser EX

Coming from a PC, it is interesting trying to learn new software and a new computer platform at the same time. The Mac is slightly less intuitive than I thought it would be. Need some more fumbling around time.

I also have to figure out how to get
...Show more

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:28 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Keep the Canon software.
Many prefer Lightroom here, but I like DPP, and as others have mentioned,
DLO is a very helpful feature in DPP for certain lenses.

Best regards,
Tim

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:33 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I am a luddite but use dpp for most processing. Dont use Zoom Browser myself but it has a raw viewer. Heard dpp color preferred by some.
Id keep them all.

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I almost never use those softwares, I only use photoshop. Only exception is EOS Utility for if I'm shooting tethered to my laptop.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I use CS5, Aperture 3.3 and DPP. They're all good tools. With that said, I use Aperture 90% of the time for RAW conversion and basic tweaks and CS5 for heavy processing and printing prep. However, as chunky as DPP is, it sometimes will effortlessly nail a troublesome RAW conversion that bests many minutes of toil in ACR or Aperture. So it's a great tool to keep for when you need it. And, yes, the lens distortion and optimize feature are amazing. Sometimes I use DPP just for those things. I really wish Canon made these features available as PS/Aperture/LR plugin.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:01 PM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
I also have to figure out how to get the firmware update onto the CF card from this machine. When I try to load the update onto the card, I get an error that the computer doesn't recognize the file type and is offering an app for $3.99 to read it. That seems funky. So much to learn.

Just drag the xyz.fir from your download folder to the CF card image (or window if it's open) You don't need to try to open it.

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:48 AM
ClausC

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

You can upgrade firmware over the USB without putting it on the CF, use the tool-part of EOS Utility. Very simple and works well.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:51 PM
the888account
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Software, Keep or delete?

I've kept it, although other than having a play to see what it does, I've never used it.

LR4 & Photoshop is my trusted combo for everything.

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password