Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 1DX locking up

Will Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 1DX locking up

It happened again today while shooting another wedding where the camera suddenly locks up. I'm snapping photos one after the other every few seconds when I realize that the camera stops autofocusing and stops taking photos. Turning the camera off for a few seconds then back on doesn't help. Remounting the lens doesnt help. The only way to get the camera functional again is to take out the battery and re-insert it. Only happened once today and once during last weekends shoot. No errors on the screen at all, everything else such as the menu works like usual, but it will not autofocus or fire the shutter.

Anyone else experience this?

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:53 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 1DX locking up

It should give you an error 80. it did it to me once out of 3000 shots...it was at a wedding though.

rumor has it if you do a factory reset then it fixes it.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:55 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 1DX locking up

For some unknown reason my 5Dc and an old outdated 30D seem to not be plagued by all of the newest failures that come with the latest and greatest...kinda like a '63 Vette and some new recalled hybrid that catches on fire or the gas sticks...

Sorry...just maybe too many beers, but I get a kick out of all the high priced trouble...

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:08 AM
altenae1234

p.1 #4 · 1DX locking up

Remember !!!!!

When a 1dx is working fine expect no topics on forums.

Edward

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:43 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 1DX locking up

Is the buffer full? What does the buffer size available show. Is auto noise reduction on? Have you tried a new cf card?

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:19 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #6 · 1DX locking up

Will...mine is at CPS right now. Locked up in the middle of a baseball game. Had to pull the battery to reset. Mine locked up with shutter open. Only code was "ERR".
CPS got it last Friday...should know results soon.
Curious...what lens were you using? I was shooting AI servo, high speed in aV with the v.ii 70-200 2.8. I put about 500 more shots on it that night and no other problems.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX locking up

Jerry - I didn't notice what the shots remaining showed, but the buffer couldn't possibly have been full, I was in one shot mode, and AI Servo.

Jim - Mine locked up in between frames, so when the mirror was down, both times. I was shooting with a 70-200 2.8 II, AI Servo, One shot mode, RAW, ISO was set to auto and I was shooting in aperture priority. Battery was 85% charged. And like you, I put a bunch of more shots on it for a few more hours afterwords with no problems.

Guess I'll be sending it in to CPS

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:34 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 1DX locking up

altenae1234 wrote:
Remember !!!!!

When a 1dx is working fine expect no topics on forums.

Edward

While I agree, I really just want to know if this is an issue and what other people have had done to fix it, as in, a replacement or a trip to CPS to have them fix whatever the issue is.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:36 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 1DX locking up

I've accumulated 3,890 actuations on mine, and there has only been one malfunction of that type. Around 2,500 the camera showed "Error 80" message while I was going thru menus trying to change something or the other. After a battery removal/reinstall, the camera continued to function OK.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · 1DX locking up

Will Patterson wrote:
Jerry - I didn't notice what the shots remaining showed, but the buffer couldn't possibly have been full, I was in one shot mode

You can fill up the buffer in one shot mode on any camera, if you shoot enough Raws in sequence, even at a one per second pace (on lesser cameras). It would have to be an awful lot on a 1D X and probably a bit faster, but I'm sure it can be done. I was doing exposure tests yesterday (on a lesser camera) on a tripod; click shutter, change shutter speed, click mirror up, click shutter, change shutter speed, etc. and managed to fill the buffer so that it refused to even change the shutter speed.

I think one factor is how fragmented the card(s) is (are). If you are writing JPEG and Raw to two cards simultaneously, that might slow it down too. If you've deleted photos, that fragments the card. If you haven't formatted the card in a long time it can get very fragmented. If you are near filling the card it is harder for the camera OS to find sufficient free fragments.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 1DX locking up

Monito wrote:
You can fill up the buffer in one shot mode on any camera, if you shoot enough Raws in sequence, even at a one per second pace (on lesser cameras). It would have to be an awful lot on a 1D X and probably a bit faster, but I'm sure it can be done. I was doing exposure tests yesterday (on a lesser camera) on a tripod; click shutter, change shutter speed, click mirror up, click shutter, change shutter speed, etc. and managed to fill the buffer so that it refused to even change the shutter speed.

I think one factor
...Show more

It had nothing to do with the card. It was a card I'd used all of two times and I always format it when I put it in the camera. The buffer was no where near full, I was taking a photo every few seconds and actually when it locked up, I had walked from the limo to where we were taking photos without taking any, got the bridal party set up, stepped back, set up my shot, checked settings and went to press the trigger and nothing and instantly remembered the same thing happening last weekend. Totally random. I look at the camera and the write to card light is not on. The lens will not focus. The camera is just frozen.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:54 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 1DX locking up

It's interesting reading this. The D4 had a bout of locking up issues too. Many people reported the very same symptoms with the very same resolution.

Annoying that both of the biggest DSLR manufacturers ship their top of the line newest bodies with these types of problems.

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 1DX locking up

ct8282 wrote:
It's interesting reading this. The D4 had a bout of locking up issues too. Many people reported the very same symptoms with the very same resolution. Annoying that both of the biggest DSLR manufacturers ship their top of the line newest bodies with these types of problems.

Annoying the number of people who expect perfection in a very complex precision high tech instrument that they are only willing to pay a couple of thousand dollars for. Even Leica and Hasselblad have their problems with cameras that cost ten times as much.

Beware the Internet Amplification Effect.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:30 PM
pcho
• • •
p.1 #14 · 1DX locking up

I had a lock up with the 40mm pancake lens. No erro messages, just nothing happens when I press shutter. Can't remember what I did exactly the order of events. I remember taking lens off and the turning camera off as well and the camera came good after that.

Perry

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:35 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · 1DX locking up

Classic case when open logic was detected and active branch module does not have exception handler build in to return the main frame. Well, best thing is camera does not have wings

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Candersson

p.1 #16 · 1DX locking up

mttran wrote:
Classic case when open logic was detected and active branch module does not have exception handler build in to return the main frame. Well, best thing is camera does not have wings

Good one!

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:00 PM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #17 · 1DX locking up

No problems with mine so far.

Perhaps everyone who's having issues should list what lens and card/accessories they had during the lockup, and perhaps any custom settings they care to note. Intermittent problems are the hardest to deal with.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:23 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · 1DX locking up

Monito wrote:
Annoying the number of people who expect perfection in a very complex precision high tech instrument that they are only willing to pay a couple of thousand dollars for. Even Leica and Hasselblad have their problems with cameras that cost ten times as much.

Beware the Internet Amplification Effect.

...It's annoying to you when people expect a 6.8K (not "a couple thousand") camera to take pictures consistently without locking up? This is a high end professional tool designed for professionals...it should perform that way. A lot of photography is all about timing. If you can't trust a brand new flagship camera to get the shot when you press the shutter button every single time you damn well have the right to be annoyed, regardless of the tool's complexities. I suppose you would better understand that if you were someone who depends on his/her gear...

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · 1DX locking up

M Vers wrote:
...It's annoying to you when people expect a 6.8K (not "a couple thousand") camera to take pictures consistently without locking up?

Sure it's annoying when a camera locks up. I sympathise with the OP and shared some thoughts about it. But that's not what I was responding to in the post you quoted. Please read it again. Carefully.

M Vers wrote:
This is a high end professional tool designed for professionals...it should perform that way. A lot of photography is all about timing. If you can't trust a brand new flagship camera to get the shot when you press the shutter button every single time you damn well have the right to be annoyed, regardless of the tool's complexities.

Sure. Again, you have misread my response. The person I was responding to was not annoyed about that.

Read it again.

They were annoyed that Canon and Nikon would have the sheer effrontery, the gall, the arrogance to dare to release a camera that a few people have reported a flaw in their particular copies. How dare Canon and Nikon not make equipment that always performs flawlessly even though there are tens of thousands of the units out there, soon to be hundreds of thousand of them. How dare they make a camera that can't take hundreds of millions of photos (10k cameras x 10k photos) already without a few people reporting that it actually locked up a couple of times.

ct8282 wrote:
Annoying that both of the biggest DSLR manufacturers ship their top of the line newest bodies with these types of problems.

How dare Leica, Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Mercedes, BMW, Boeing, Airbus, etc. do such a thing?

M Vers wrote:
I suppose you would better understand that if you were someone who depends on his/her gear...

I suppose you would have more success if you didn't personalize threads and make personal assumptions about posters. You don't have a clue about your assertions.

Logic much?

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 1DX locking up

pcho wrote:
I had a lock up with the 40mm pancake lens. No erro messages, just nothing happens when I press shutter. Can't remember what I did exactly the order of events. I remember taking lens off and the turning camera off as well and the camera came good after that.

Perry

Hmm. Well I'm in AF mode two, Only cross-type AF points, iTR on, AI Servo 2nd image priority, Expand AF area.

That's it for AF. I was using an almost brand new SanDisk 32GB extreme pro. Shutter minimum set to 1/250th.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password