Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · C/Y mount film cameras

umihoshijima
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C/Y mount film cameras

I've recently acquired the 35-70 f/3.4 and the 50 f/1.7, and am also in the market for a 35mm camera. I've been looking into getting a C/Y mount film camera to suit my needs. Although the Contax mechanical/manual cameras are a bit pricey, The yashica ones seem rather affordable. Does anybody have any experience with these?

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:50 AM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C/Y mount film cameras

You can probably buy one for less than a packet of cigarettes so why don't you do that and see for yourself if you like it? Yashica bodies are (generally) fine, as long as your standards are not too high.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:38 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C/Y mount film cameras

I have used 2 yashica fx-3 Super 2000 bodies in the dust and dirt of archaeological excavations during 5 years, daily, non stop. One was for slide film, the other b/w , and 5-10 rolls went through each every day. Never had any problem. Of course, a Contax S2 is much more sexy too

Aug 05, 2012 at 06:04 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C/Y mount film cameras

The kyocera made "Contax 159MM" is relatively inexpensive, is C/Y mount, is nice and compact, and has a very nice velvety rubber finish to it. It has an electromagnetic guillotine shutter (a Ricoh invention) so it keeps it's accuracy over the years much better and can do 1/4000s. It accepts the W-7 Winder which are still around for pretty cheap too. I dig mine! Here's the blurb from mir.com:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/htmls/contax_history/history5.htm wrote:
The Contax 159MM was an "upgraded" Contax 139Q, released in 1985. Top shutter speed on the 159MM was 1/4000 second and X sync was at 1/250 second. The 159MM had three program modes, High Speed, Low Speed and Normal, as well as Aperture Preferred and Manual exposure modes. Through-The-Lens flash metering was also standard.

The 159MM ushered in a new type of aperture indexed Carl Zeiss lens called, appropriately enough, the MM Mount. The MM lens allows the use of the Program modes on the 159MM and subsequent cameras. MM lenses are distinguished by their minimum f stop
...Show more

The 167MT they mention is probably pretty good too but I didn't care for the looks of it much. The 159mm looks like a "real" camera!

Check Out The OnLine Manual

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:15 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C/Y mount film cameras

My Yashica FX-3 meters pretty spot on every time, I really like it. Still testing FR-1, bigger camera with a bit brighter viefinder and AE.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:35 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C/Y mount film cameras

I loved the Contax 159MM. Nice camera. Fast shutter, and not overloaded with features.
The Yashica FX-D Quartz where simple cheap cameras - one was my first. The leatherette goes away after few years - so it should be extreme cheap :-)
These both cameras are only working with battery!

Yashica FX-2000 is full mechanical (battery only for exposure measurement), but the film transport of mine is defective :-/

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

KrankyKraut

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C/Y mount film cameras

The Yashica FX-2000 is an OK basic camera. Loud and vibration-prone shutter though. If you can swing $200 for a used Contax RX, you'll get one of the best, and best handling 35mm SLRs ever made, with an exceptionally smooth and quiet shutter.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:09 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C/Y mount film cameras

Aside from the FX-3/7, be prepare for either a flaky camera or an expensive one. Pretty much all the cheap Contax and Yashica bodies have reliability issues due to either age or poor design. You have to pay a fair bit to get another option as reliable as the FX-3 (note the FX-7 is merely an FX-3 in silver finish). Also there's few mechanical options, really only the FX-3 and the S2/S2b.

I've dabbled in Contax and Yashica a few times as I love the lenses. But the FX-3 is rather crude, even compared to other Cosina SLR's. It's the very first rebadged Cosina CS-1 and shares its guts with the Ricoh KR-5 series, Nikon FM10 and Olympus OM-2000 among others, but those later designs have much more refined body designs, particularly in the larger shutter release and integrated shutter lock. And the other bodies available for reasonable sums have proven unreliable in my experience (I've had the 137MD, FR, FR-1, and original RTS as well as two FX-3 Super 2000's).

Sure you can spend $200+ for one of the 1990's era bodies (RX, S2, RTSIII or Aria), but you don't get very much for your money in comparison to alternatives, some of which also offer Zeiss lenses (Nikon+ZF is where it's at for manual focus bodies with Zeiss IMHO). A pity, since the Contax glass is so nice.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:33 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · C/Y mount film cameras

I have had the 137, the 139, the 159MM, the 167MT, the RX, ST and RTSII and III. Oh, and the S2. And the Aria.

To make it simple:

The 137 and 139 did eventually fall apart. They had intermittent problems according to the Contax service rep. Mirror fell out, uneven frame spacing etc etc. The 167MT was nice in handling but it too was plagued with electronic failures and even had a "reset button". I hated mine. I had two of them and bot failed. Nice cameras but with age unreliable.

The 159MM was very nice, no bells and whistles and though it was primarily a back up camera for me I enjoyed it.

The RTSII was really nice and handled beautifully, gorgeous viewfinder and excellent build. Loved it. Wish I had kept it.

The ST was beautifully made but had a whining motordrive, worse than the 167MT. It also sported AAA batteries (if I remember correctly) and it was "almost there" but got edged out by the RX in my set up.

The RX (II) was my all time favorite; well built, nice handling and ergonomics coupled with a great viewfinder. It is the camera I miss the most from the film days, together with the RTSII.

The RTSIII; a technological masterpiece from that time. Inspiring build and handling, a little heavy though.

The S2 was very light and felt a bit flimsy but was nice to handle. The Aria felt like a step away from the sturdiness and heft of the RX/ST and RTS series. I didn't like the viewfinder and though it metered well I was disappointed with it. It felt "cheap". However it was like a modern 167MT, i.e. a 167;T without the quirks, I just wished they had kept the viewfinder of the 167MT.

I handled the AX with it's novel autofocus and "built in" macro and it was very well built but at that time I felt Medium Format was a small step up in heft from the AX.

Edited on Aug 05, 2012 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:46 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · C/Y mount film cameras

KrankyKraut wrote:
The Yashica FX-2000 is an OK basic camera. Loud and vibration-prone shutter though. If you can swing $200 for a used Contax RX, you'll get one of the best, and best handling 35mm SLRs ever made, with an exceptionally smooth and quiet shutter.

I totally agree with that.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · C/Y mount film cameras

kosmoskatten wrote:
I totally agree with that.

Totally agree. I use it, and if there ever was a De Luxe camera, this is it.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password