Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anan, Alaska anyone?

xtremediver
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anan, Alaska anyone?

Anyone on here who has photographed the bears at Anan, Alaska? If so, is a 70-200 IS good enough or should I bring my 500mm? Going in about 10 days and really looking forward to it.

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:13 AM
tjny
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anan, Alaska anyone?

I was at Halo Bay Alaska and even 400mm f 5.6 appeared short. Don't know about Anan.

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:17 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anan, Alaska anyone?

I can't speak to Anan, AK ... but having shot my "one & only" bear in the Smokies from ranges of about 25-50 yards, my 120-600 had me mostly at the long end of things. Of course, a Black bear isn't near the size of a Grizzly, Brown or Polar ... but if you're wanting a tight comp, I can't image filling the frame with a 200 and still having clean underwear.

Kinda depends on how you want to compose (tight vs. environmental) and how much crop/resolution you've got to play with. Looking at a bear through a 600mm lens from 50-75 feet will let you know that what others describe as "cute" ... is built for destruction and you really ought not be that close ... even if you can get that close.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anan, Alaska anyone?

Don't know about Anan either, but having encountered a brown bear in Yellowstone years back at good distance, I know that I wished I had a longer lens.
But on other trips to Yellowstone and Glacier, a 70-200 was fine for lots and occasionally too long for some more friendly close encounters.

Not knowing the viewing platforms of Anan, I would plan on a long lens (400-600+), but be prepared for much shorter (50-200).

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:19 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anan, Alaska anyone?

Anan is terrific. I've been a few times, back before it was "discovered" and you could still get the cabin fairly easily. Bring your 500. You may get very close to bears or they may get very close to you but you can't count on it. Also, the distance from the viewing platforms and blind to the far side of the creek is farther than your 70-200 can handle. You'll also want the long lens for cubs in trees moments when approaching close enough to use the 70-200 would be foolish

Have a great time!

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:24 PM
xtremediver
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anan, Alaska anyone?

Thanks, I will take the 500mm as well.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password