Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · MacBook Air PS Performance?

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · MacBook Air PS Performance?

I love the Air's form factor, but the lack of a discrete GPU tends to keep me away. We all know that PS heavily relies on the GPU, so I'm wondering if PS seems laggy on the new Macbook Air with the Intel 4000?

In other words, does PS performs well on the Macbook Air over an extended period of time?

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:55 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · MacBook Air PS Performance?

"PS heavily relies on the GPU" is a bit of a stretch, it uses open GL and dose not stress that, any card that supports openGL is fine including the Intel 4000. The cpu on the MBA at most a 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 dual core would be the bottleneck. That being said MBA would be a competent solution but would never be my daily computer for the bulk of my work.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:19 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · MacBook Air PS Performance?

The way I understand it, CS5 can utilize as much memory as your GPU offers. The GPU in my main computer has 1GB of memory. I have no idea how much the Intel 4000 has, does it just use system memory?

I guess I'm really looking for someone to share their experience using the MBA. I don't do any editing on my MBP, but it's nice to know it has the power to handle anything I can throw at it, should I need to use it. i'm wondering how much worse the Air performs. If it's not too laggy I would be happy to switch

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Garry Burton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · MacBook Air PS Performance?

Keep it lean and mean, only one or 2 files open at a time and only a couple of layers and MBA is great.

I find if I have multiple files and multiple layers MBA does get laggy and a bit jaggy. CS6 is crisper.

Still I normally use a MBP with 16 gig of ram so I usually stick with that if I'm on the move or for freelancing with a supplied monitor.

Cheers Gaz

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:30 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password