New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · D4 vs D800

JTS1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D4 vs D800

Colin, you may be right that I have to give it some time. It's been a few shoots since my original post and I have not changed my mind, probably will have to work with the camera more. But judging by what the folks said above, I am not alone in my 'quick' opinion.

BTW, do you own both cameras or only the 800?

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:59 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D4 vs D800

Christian S wrote:
I own the D3s and D800. They are both completely different tools. Of course the D3s/D4 are going to shoot differently. I've always enjoyed the pro body feel. The D3s/D4 are workhorse tools that produce
incredible high dynamic range images across a wide ISO range. The D800 is not better it is different. On paper some have made comments that it is better. This is not neccessarly accurate. In real world shooting one has to invest in getting to know the D800's personality. It has it's strengths and weaknesses, like any other camera. The D800 is a huge leap forward
...Show more

+1

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:45 AM
ryankarr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D4 vs D800

I'll echo what others have said. If it moves, I use the D4. If it doesn't, I use the D800.

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D4 vs D800

pretty much

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:15 AM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D4 vs D800

The right tool for the right job folks.
There isn't on camera that is best for all applications. They all come with their sacrifices somewhere.

I'm a professional and the D800 suits the majority of my needs best, the majority of the time. For what I do.
The D4, were I a different type of shooter, could certainly be a better option. But not becase it's inherently a better camera. But because it would serve the needs of the photog in question.

It's really hard to compare apples and oranges. The photo community is funny this way. They insist on it.
It's near impossible to objectively compare the cameras, we all have our subjective spins on what's best.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:32 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D4 vs D800

Totally agree with Sean.
It's like asking which is better: a sports car or a pickup truck.
Well, it depends on what will you be using it for.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:30 AM
JTS1
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D4 vs D800

fraga wrote:
Totally agree with Sean.
It's like asking which is better: a sports car or a pickup truck.
Well, it depends on what will you be using it for.

So...the D800 is a pickup and the D4 is a sports car? Now I understand....

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:47 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D4 vs D800

In videogame terms, the D800 is a str-based hero and the D4 is an agi-based hero.

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:50 PM
JTS1
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D4 vs D800

form wrote:
In videogame terms, the D800 is a str-based hero and the D4 is an agi-based hero.

Hey, I am a former film guy (read: OLD). What the heck does str & agi mean?

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:49 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D4 vs D800

Yes you are nonplused in videogame lingo.

Role playing games where you command single heroes with some personality etc...often use basic statistics of strength, agility, intelligence, etc....to describe the character. Like, for instance, some large, heavy, lumbering and very strong character would typically be strength (str) based (often with lower intelligence and agility), and their augmentation with "levels" and other game-related jargon is focused on enhancing strength to make them better. Strength characters are slower but very powerful (high resolution). Agility-based heroes are much faster, and they are usually smaller/lighter/etc...but the point is they're fast (high FPS burst mode).

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:35 PM
JTS1
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D4 vs D800

Ok Form. Thanks for the info. Can anyone please tell me how to repair the D800? I tried the Nikon number but was on hold for 25 minutes and no one ever came on. The 10 pin connector pushed into the body when I attached the shutter release (never happened with my D4 or D700). I am now in CT and going back to Hong Kong in a week. Nikon Hong Kong won't honor Nikon USA sales, so I am in a bind.

Aug 12, 2012 at 06:53 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.