Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D4 vs D800

JTS1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4 vs D800

Just received my D800 last night, so it's new and I don't have experience shooting it. I was so much looking forward to it after reading the avalanche of positive news online. I received my D4 in March and have used it extensively since then. I must say that I was a bit disappointed on buying the D4 because of the commentaries (it is just a D3s, the D800 is so much better, DxO has the D800 as the best sensor, etc. ). Now that I have the D800, I am wondering what people are talking about. I may 'grow' into the D800 but right now the D4 feels right and seems better at exposure, focus, build quality, dynamic range, everything except file size. What I would like is to hear opinions from other forum members who own BOTH the D4 & D800. Do they prefer one over the other? Am I too harsh on the D800?

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:36 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4 vs D800

My mothers D4 comes in on Wed, I am going to play with that & maybe it will make my mind up to get one over a 800. I am really thinking on passing the 800 since it seems to have so many issues.

I assume the D800 is similar to the D7000 apart from size which is more like my 700.

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:45 AM
JTS1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4 vs D800

I have the D700 which is up for sale. That camera is fabulous. Going to the D4 was a big upgrade - everything was a major improvement from the D700 (except battery life). The D800 does not feel like a Nikon build quality - so much so that I turned it over to see where it is manufactured - it says Japan.

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4 vs D800

I have a D800 and an 800e as well as the D4 - and I'm with you, I like the D4 way better.

However...

I still (try to) choose the right camera for the job. If I'm out doing landscapes, lazy animals (where I won't need a high FPS to grab a shot), or macros, you'll find me using one of the D800 bodies. When I need a fast camera - or if there's potential for needing a fast camera (like a sitting bird that may take off or something), then it's D4 all the way.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:33 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4 vs D800

D4 screams "professional" while D800 whispers hobbyist. There are times that you don't want to be seen as a pro.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:44 AM
gchappel

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4 vs D800

US

I am lucky enough to have both.
I find the d800 is the main camera I grab as I go out the door just to walk around and shoot. It rewards careful technique and low iso- I like 800 or below.
For me the D4 is for wildlife and sports. Although I do not consider myself a spray and pray shooter- the 4fps of the d800 is too slow for me in these situations. Low light, fast shutter speed, iso over 1600 is when I grab the D4.
If I could only have one I would definitely choose.....
Both
Gary

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:06 AM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4 vs D800

I own the D3s and D800. They are both completely different tools. Of course the D3s/D4 are going to shoot differently. I've always enjoyed the pro body feel. The D3s/D4 are workhorse tools that produce
incredible high dynamic range images across a wide ISO range. The D800 is not better it is different. On paper some have made comments that it is better. This is not neccessarly accurate. In real world shooting one has to invest in getting to know the D800's personality. It has it's strengths and weaknesses, like any other camera. The D800 is a huge leap forward that requires the user to know in advance why they are buying it to feel content. Steve is correct and I feel the same way. Although the D800 can shoot sports.

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:14 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4 vs D800

I have or had both and they have there places, I prefer the D4 hands down over the d800, large file size was a main concern for me. I would bet on the D4 over the D800 esp. with all the AF issues the d800 has

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:17 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4 vs D800

I had a D4 and D800. Loved the files from both of them. Sold my D4 after realizing how good the D800 is. However, the ergonomics SUCK and there are lots of little things I like more about the D4 that the D800 doesn't have. Long story short... I just bought another D4. Wish I never sold it the first time. Different tools for different jobs.

Aug 05, 2012 at 06:32 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4 vs D800

I am using both, but for different purposes. The D800 is my landscape/travel camera I also use on vacation, the D4 is my all purpose camera I always take when I have serious stuff to do. The D4 just feels better, gives me the feeling that I'll get the shot under any circumstances. The D800 is a camera for when you feel 'relaxed'.

Guy

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4 vs D800

the D800: a camera design driven by the mob and executed at a price point. a product that can teach ones limitations in one fell swoop with its output.

the D4: a tool for the photographer who needs to get the image. can be a daunting device and many will never realize a good bit of its real capability.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4 vs D800

image quality of D4 is far cry back from D800, though both are excellent. For me would D4 be enough if it would be cheaper and lighter then D800. D4 is a PJ camera loaded with "everything", but nothing what traditional photographer really need. Give me D800 sensor in manual AF, manual control range finder with F mount and i would praise it as best camera on the world. I would buy it for same price even if it would have "only" D4 sensor even though i am getting serious increase in post sales thanks to D800.

Overall, i like the D800 more because it just does what it promises. I usually grab max two shots from the scene. I am grown with film so burst rate is nothing of need for me same as other gimmicks. Still deliver 80+% of photos taken during wedding.

My D4 have 117 photos taken (it is a shame i know), our four D800s have over 50k on them

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4 vs D800

different strokes for different folks.
different economies of scale
different styles
different needs

Aug 05, 2012 at 12:31 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D4 vs D800

I got to take a few shots with the D4 yesterday. I don't have the D800 so can't compare but the D4 is a sweet piece of gear.

I love how fast my 85mm 1.8 focuses. I didn't know it could focus so fast!

It also seems smaller than I thought it would, I am going to have to seriously think about what road I take, love love love the D4

BTW, didn't appear to have any left focus issues, but I didn't have time to test thoroughly.

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:52 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D4 vs D800

I have the D800e, D4 and D3s. I very seldom use the D800e and almost always consider it a workaround compared to the D4. But I shoot people and dancers in very poor and varying light.
So I consider the D800(e) a speciality camera while the D4 is the King of general purpose cameras.
But that's just for me because you training, experience, expectations and, especially, what you photograph will form you opinion. YES YMMV.

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:25 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D4 vs D800

Had D800E, D800 and D4. Sold D800E and down to D4/D800. To me, they are different animals for different games.

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:27 PM
chuckbernard

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D4 vs D800

I have both because some venues will absolutely NOT let you in with a D4. Most places have signs that say "No professional cameras". I can argue that my D800 with a "less than 3 inch 50mm f/1.4 lens" is not a professional camera. It worked to get me in to an Aerosmith concert last week. It worked again before the concert started when security spotted me instantly sitting near the stage even before the concert started. Unfortunately, after about 20 minutes they spotlighted me and told me to put it away or leave.

Unfortunately, they are starting to say that any camera with a removable lens is a professional camera now.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:59 PM
cynerjist

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D4 vs D800

+1 D4 is a better all around camera by far considering not just ergonomics but performance away from base ISO.

Many sites like dxo are testing and rating d800 at base ISO to produce some of the overall score or rating. This is where it shines. As you move away from base ISO the D4 has better dynamic range and color. This may be why a person picking up a D800 after shooting a D4 for a few months could be underwhelmed with the D800 image quality depending on shooting conditions.

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:36 AM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D4 vs D800

mshi wrote:
D4 screams "professional" while D800 whispers hobbyist. There are times that you don't want to be seen as a pro.

Hate to disappoint you but neither camera screams or whispers. What you're hearing must be voices in your head. Don't pay any attention to them.

Cameras are innate objects that respond to user input. It's the photographer's skill level that makes the difference and that's what clients care about. Attaching professional or hobbyist labels is nothing more than camera club mentality.

One of the cameras you mention is optimized for action/sports, the other for no-compromise image quality. They are both professional level tools that deliver state-of-the-art performance for their intended purpose.

Edited on Aug 09, 2012 at 07:52 AM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:31 AM
colincarter46
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D4 vs D800

JTS1 wrote:
Just received my D800 last night, so it's new and I don't have experience shooting it. I was so much looking forward to it after reading the avalanche of positive news online. I received my D4 in March and have used it extensively since then. I must say that I was a bit disappointed on buying the D4 because of the commentaries (it is just a D3s, the D800 is so much better, DxO has the D800 as the best sensor, etc. ). Now that I have the D800, I am wondering what people are talking about. I may 'grow'
...Show more

just received your D800 last night and you are making statements like this? dont you think you should actually use the camera first before making sweeping unsubstantiated comments?

i dont agree on any of your points, the D800's af and exposure is exactly the same as the D4 and as for the Dynamic range, the D800 is actually better than the D4.

Iso is a funny one though, the D4 does go higher but is it actually usable for high quality work? Once you go above 5000 the image quality is unacceptable, to me, apart from magazine / newspaper prints. If you downsample a D800 file from 36mpixel to 16mpixel the noise is actually similar to the D4 yet the D800 image retains much more detail, the D4 is very muddy at high iso because of the heavy incamera noise reduction software.

so are you being too harsh on the D800? yes because it doesnt look like you have even used it yet.

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password