Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Trying My Hand at HDR

NaturalChaos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying My Hand at HDR

This is just a little cascading stream I saw on a recent hike and thought I'd take a 3 shot HDR and see how it came out. I'm still really new at this photography thing so I welcome any advice on how I can improve.

Thanks!

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying My Hand at HDR

I think you did a very good HDR here, looks very natural to my eyes. The part of the sky that shows is a bit uninteresting, but this is typical for waterfalls. You either live with it or crop it out or get lucky enough to have favorable light.

The scene itself is not the greatest. The water is a small part of the entire scene and the logs and brush are a bit messy. I do like the rocks and ferns. I also like your choice of shutter speed.

Exposure is good, but of course its an HDR. DOF is good but some of the ferns look less sharp than others, perhaps wind? Or maybe they moved between shots, HDR has a problem with subject motion.

The yellow moss in the upper right is distracting. Be ok if it were green. I might try a crop just above the upper water and this would lose the moss and sky.

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:33 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying My Hand at HDR

Reasonably well rendered, but cluttered and the composition uninteresting.

Get in closer and/or choose scenes with cleaner compositions. There are rules for composition which could give you ideas for how to simplify and choose more orderly scenes. Look for good light well placed. Light should help shape scenes and create interest.

If you want to take pretty pictures, the first rule is to put pretty subjects in front of your camera.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:21 AM
NaturalChaos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying My Hand at HDR

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did take another shot zoomed in on just the water but it actually doesn't look as good. I'll try cropping though and see what that looks like.

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:15 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password