Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Green Dream

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Green Dream

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Excellent image Mark, and thanks for the write up on the focus stacking, I have been wanting to figure out that technique for a while now but haven't gotten around to it.

I'm curious though, you do the focus stacking primarily so you can keep your lens at it's optimum aperture for sharpness, because you do very large prints. Correct? Is there a reason you don't shoot with a MF digital camera to get the resolution for those large prints? Financial reasons, or are the systems too cumbersome? Or does the larger sensor size/shallower DOF make getting everything in focus
...Show more

Thanks man! Those are some great questions!

I have shot with the MF digital backs 40-80MP (even the 200MP) more than a few times including for a week straight at Glacier. My feeling is this: in situations where everything is ideal (think large format film conditions) they soar! But, I rarely am in those conditions. I am often up to my chest in water, or repelling, in sandstorms, or in the down pouring rain, freezing conditions or whatever. IMO, that camera system does not do well in those conditions compared to DSLR. In fact even in ideal conditions I was amazed at how much problems the H-Blad systems had. Canon and Nikon has had many years and a huge budget to work out most of the kinks if you will. Also, who wants to drop a $20-30K system in the river or whatever? Or bang it up? Just that fact alone changes my entire approach to photography. The truth is, even if I had an unlimited budget (think, won the lottery) I am adamant, I would still be shooting with my DSLR about 80+% of the time.

Lastly, yes, I do this technique to make the enlargements much more detailed/better quality. If all one does is web shots, forget about it. Too much work. Today with the Nikon D800E (or even the Canon 5D Mark3 for that matter) using top lenses and top f/stops, the gap between MF Digital and the former is largely being closed (in the real world of enlargements) especially for someone who masters sharpening workflow in post production. I literally work on these files (everything from scanned 8x10 to MF digital to DSLR) almost all day long for both my gallery clients (doing their gallery work) or my own work and I believe DSLR has really come of age. Honestly, the last time I shot MF (as much as I loved the resolution of the files) it literally felt great to shoot with my DSLR again. I may be in the minority here, but those are my feelings on the subject.

Apr 12, 2013 at 06:18 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Green Dream

Awesome, thanks for the response.

Apr 12, 2013 at 07:01 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Green Dream

This is one of my favorite shots from the trip. Need to cover the eastern Oregon next time.
Harsha

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Green Dream

harshaj1 wrote:
This is one of my favorite shots from the trip. Need to cover the eastern Oregon next time.
Harsha

Thanks Harsha. Eastern Oregon is amazing!!! Love to, just let me know...

Apr 14, 2013 at 03:31 AM
gavin_emmons
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Green Dream

Mark, thanks for the excellent and detailed write-up for your beautiful image, as always... Though I've been living and working in California for the past decade or so, I was born and raised in Portland and am very familiar with all the Gorge creeks and waterfalls. It is great to see your renderings of those locations, and your explanation of focus stacking and layer blending is wonderfully informative.

P.S. Your recent Painted Hills image was quite stunning as well. I just got out there for the first time last year and loved the beautiful compositions available there.

Edited on Apr 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM · View previous versions

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:15 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Green Dream

Mark,
Gorgeous capture(s). Thanks again for taking the time to explain your logistics and workflow. This must really be a spellbinding work of art printed big.
Dave

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:51 PM
ninhja

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Green Dream

Excellent shot and I immediately felt the "dreamy-ness" of the photo before reading the details below. Excellently executed.

Mark, I will be in the Columbia River Gorge, April 25 - May 4. HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE With the # of locations one can be at, it probably won't happen, but one can hope. I'm as excited to go waterall hunting as you. Can't wait!

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Green Dream

Thanks much Gavin.

Thanks Dave. Yes these look great huge. Thing 60 inch or so mounted to acrylic.

Ninhja, you might see me out there. Feel free to say hi and introduce yourself. I run into so many FM'ers out there. I was out there all day yesterday scouting some special locations and ran into a few. Including a Kayaker who went over Punchbowl and Metlako. We got to watch him!!! I climbed to the base of Matlako (right where the water goes of 101 feet!) and he and his friend just went right off!

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mstic
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Green Dream

beautiful photo and thank you for the detailed explanation, it'll definitely come in handy!

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM
ninhja

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Green Dream

Mark Metternich wrote:
Ninhja, you might see me out there. Feel free to say hi and introduce yourself. I run into so many FM'ers out there. I was out there all day yesterday scouting some special locations and ran into a few. Including a Kayaker who went over Punchbowl and Metlako. We got to watch him!!! I climbed to the base of Matlako (right where the water goes of 101 feet!) and he and his friend just went right off!

I would LOVE to see people go off Metlako. It would be thrilling just to watch those daredevils go off into a beautiful pool surrounded by lush greens

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:11 AM
nikon65
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Green Dream

Very nice. I'm glad you finally got the shot you wanted !!!

Todd

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Green Dream

ninhja wrote:
I would LOVE to see people go off Metlako. It would be thrilling just to watch those daredevils go off into a beautiful pool surrounded by lush greens

It is insane!!!!! They often sustain life threatening injuries too. Hernias, blown eardrums, concussions, spinal injuries... This time of year I am out there 2-3 x a week scouting (often without my camera) to simply find all the lesser known locations, and to trail blaze a few of my own. The Gorge is phenomenal! Most think there a 10-15 waterfalls out there. The truth is that if you are willing to waterfall hunt, there are well over 100! It is amazing finding these new places.

This year my Columbia river Gorge workshop/tours booked up a year in advance! This means I will be out there for about 6 weeks straight without a day off! My work is bliss!

See you out there!

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Ned Fenimore
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Green Dream

Fantastic rendition of an amazing place - one of my favorites for pristine beauty. Hope to see you in the Gorge this year!

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Green Dream

Fantastic Photography as usual Mark! The texture in that photo is great! Nice comp too!

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Green Dream

Ned Fenimore wrote:
Fantastic rendition of an amazing place - one of my favorites for pristine beauty. Hope to see you in the Gorge this year!

Thanks Ned. I know I'll run into you!

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password