Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

I shoot a lot of photos and like to completely delete photos from my disk as part of my sort process (flag as rejected, then delete rejected photos). It looks like LR4 now just removes them from the catalog and can't delete them from the disk (LR3 gave you that option and I used it all the time)? Is that right? Seems crazy! Would love any help!

Edited on Aug 04, 2012 at 09:45 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:40 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #2 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

flag rejected photos (drop down menu at top)- photo - delete rejected photos - press delete from disk

do it all the time and it works fine. Just confirmed that they are infact deleting from disk also.

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:45 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #3 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

Are you using Lightroom 4 because that option to "delete photos from disk" is no longer there. I just confirmed that it is not deleting them, just removing them from the catalog. That means it is impossible to tell which ones I flagged for delete and remove them from my disk now. Trying to cull my collection down to a smaller disk size.

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:08 PM
wsmeyer
• •
p.1 #4 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

That option will be missing from the dialog box if Lightroom doesn't know the location of the file. Have you moved the files /folders? If they are on an external drive does it still have the same drive letter assigned?

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:48 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #5 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

I just created a new catalog in LR4 by importing all my images again (50k+) so nothing has moved. Seems like it is something new with LR4. The files are on external drives, but everything is mounted and I have full edit access to the raws. It will give you the missing file warning if they are not where LR expects them to be.

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:43 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #6 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

Are you using Lightroom 4 because that option to "delete photos from disk" is no longer there. I just confirmed that it is not deleting them, just removing them from the catalog. That means it is impossible to tell which ones I flagged for delete and remove them from my disk now. Trying to cull my collection down to a smaller disk size.

Yes, I am using LR4 and the option is there for me and I use it all the time. Must be a setting or something?? I'm on Windows, not MAC if that matters

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:52 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #7 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

I am on windows too. Darnit! I may just go back to LR3 for now. 4 seems slower.

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sunbeast
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

Works perfectly for me also...flagged photo....went to "delete rejected photos"...box contained three options:
Delete from Disk, Remove and Cancel. Hit delete from disk and then confirmed it was gone. Only thing I can offer that the remove option is the default, so unless I specifically select delete from disk, it will only remove.

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:17 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #9 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

If you right-click on any photo or range of photos in the Grid view of the Library Module you would be presented with a Delete Photo option in the context menu. If you click on that option, an additional choice to "Delete Photos from Disk" appears.

And as stated earlier too, you can also use the Photo > Delete Photo > Delete Photo from Disk from the menu (shortcut key is Backspace).

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:21 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #10 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

That is so weird, if I right click a photo in library grid there is no delete option, just remove from collection. If I go to photo> the only options I have are remove from collection, remove from catalog and delete rejected photos (which just removes them from my catalog). When I choose the last, I do not have the three options, only remove.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:55 AM
mrtwister
• •
p.1 #11 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

Sounds like maybe your trying to delete from within a collection. It seems that the delete from disk option is only available when browsing your photographs in the Folder view, not collections.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:09 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #12 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

Wow! Thanks!

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:41 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #13 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

That is the issue, confirmed! Thanks!

Aug 05, 2012 at 06:33 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · LR4 - No Option to delete photos from disk

mrtwister wrote:
Sounds like maybe you're trying to delete from within a collection. It seems that the delete from disk option is only available when browsing your photographs in the Folder view, not collections.

This is as it should be and how it was in earlier versions of Lr. It allows you to add stuff to collections - even assigning an image to multiple collections - and delete it from any of them without affecting its appearance in other collections.

- Alan

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:29 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password