New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Joey55
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Hi all,

It appears to me after looking at photos of the RM-UC1 cable release that it would be impossible to use with an L bracket such as a Really Right Stuff in the VERTICAL position on a ball head.

Can someone who has an E-M5 confirm this?

Thanks

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:12 AM
michaelnel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Good point. They do have the $66.00 "Cable Relief Spacer" that you could use:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CRS&type=0&eq=&desc=CRS%3a-Cable-Relief-Spacer&key=it

It's yet another dumb design decision on Olympus' part. Sometimes I wonder if any actual photographers work in their R&D department. On my Panasonic DMC-GX1 it's no problem because the release cable plugs in to the other side of the camera. I guess Olympus' positioning is due to not putting the memory card slot in the battery compartment like Panasonic does.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have just canceled my pre-order for the RRS L-bracket. Light as this camera is and light as the lenses are, I will just flop the head over into the 90 degree slot. I don't normally like to do that, but due to this dumb design of Olympus', I think it's the way I will go with this camera. My tripod and head are really designed to hold a full size DSLR so it should be fine with the relatively featherweight OM-D flopped over 90 degrees.

Edited on Aug 04, 2012 at 01:13 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:18 AM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Yes, you do have to shift the camera to allow the cable release to fit. It does mean that the lens would not be aligned with the center of rotation of the ball head or panning clamp. As to security, there is more than enough of the l-bracket for the clamp to grab onto, so I would not be concerned about that. It looks to be more of an issue with alignment. I guess you have to use the timer set to 2 seconds.

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:02 AM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

CPWarner wrote:
I guess you have to use the timer set to 2 seconds.

Unfortunately, the Olympus timer won't fire off a burst.

One of my primary situations for using a tripod and a cable release is for landscapes, and I do a lot of HDR where I need AEB and a burst. Canon's timer will do that, but as far as I know, nobody else's timer will.

Edited on Aug 04, 2012 at 01:11 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Joey55
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Thanks for the responses. Maybe there is a workaround with shifting the body over enough. I've been using GF1's and it's tight but because the input is a mini (micro?) plug and is L-shaped it is barely doable. I also use AEB / HDR under slow shutter conditions so need the remote release.

Cheers to all!

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Great question/observation - canceled my order also!

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:09 PM
Joey55
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Forgot to thank michaelnel for the info on the RRS spacer. I was not aware of this product and it solves my problem (albeit not very elegantly). I also shoot with a Canon 5D that might benefit from the spacer.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:10 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

Well, it's a typically super RRS part, but yeah, a nicely engineered and finished kludge is still a kludge. Not RRS' fault that the camera mfgs have so little foresight about how their cameras will be used though.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:24 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

I wouldn't even bother with a cable release, as it's easy enough to use the self timer on the camera.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:50 AM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus E-M5 Question RE: remote release w/ L bracket

bobbytan wrote:
I wouldn't even bother with a cable release, as it's easy enough to use the self timer on the camera.

Not if you want to do a high speed burst in AEB mode.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:12 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.