Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 7d power failure

Mark McAmish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 7d power failure

Wondering how many people have experienced a 7d failing to power on.

Sent mine off to Canon for repair. Camera is not that old and never abused. None the less I'm stuck with Canon's flat rate repair.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:24 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 7d power failure

Only ever happened to me a couple of times while using the grip and accidentally loosening the 'tightening' wheel. Never an issue otherwise...is your 'power issue' intermittent? I know it's a moot point since it would've needed a repair regardless...just curious.

Omar

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:29 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 7d power failure

I had an older EOS lock up and refuse to power on. Resetting the PRAM (pulling backup & mains) and rebooting fixed it both times. My 7D hits 3 years old this oct and has been utterly dependable.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:44 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 7d power failure

Well over 2 years of regular use, zero issues so far.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:47 AM
Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 7d power failure

No grip attached. Never had a problem with any other Canon I have used.
Searched the web and tried everything to no avail. I was curious if this was a random issue or a known problem.

Aug 04, 2012 at 02:59 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 7d power failure

EOS 650 had battery contacts go bad multiple times and all my canon camcorders broke in bad ways, so i used to think they had the best tech but worst QC but, knock on wood, I have yet to have had a Canon DSLR failure of any sort.

Aug 04, 2012 at 03:03 AM
Kathy White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 7d power failure

My, now sold, 5DII refused to power up one day. I was using a 3rd party battery at the time. I have no idea if this caused the issue, but I only use OEM batteries now just in case it did. Who knows They replaced a board, repair was about 200.00.

Aug 04, 2012 at 04:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 7d power failure

Oem batteries. From web reports of others it appears to be a power board problem. Hope the fix from Canon is lasting. Anyone know about the warranty period on their work ?

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:17 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 7d power failure

My 7D is flawless less once or twice when the grip was lose.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:25 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 7d power failure

I had an issue with my 7D power. I took it out for my first paid newspaper gig covering a HS football game, and it stopped working, giving me an Err 30.

I stopped using it and used my backup...but the problem never came back. I had a post about it here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1041139/

Aug 05, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 7d power failure

UPDATE

Today I returned home to find my 7D sitting on the front step. Amazing that it was not signature required.

That was the first of several issues that disappointed me with Canon service.

I sent the camera in and asked for it to be cleaned, checked and repaired for the no power issue. This camera has been babied, never dropped or abused. Canon return statement says power board cracked and replaced. How is it possible that a power board gets cracked ? I know it is not a 1 series camera but looking at this issue on the Internet it seems to be a defect on their part and not an isolated incident. In addition, I had requested the upgrade to the locking mode button. I thought since the camera was already in for repair it would not be as expensive. Bottom line, charged flat rate repair and upgrade. Not happy there was not any type of discount. The final slap was they did not even up grade the firm ware. I intend to write Canon and express my displeasure.

Anyone else Happy with Canon ??

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:39 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 7d power failure

Did you receive a quote for the work before you authorized it? You should have been able to tell them "No" on the mode dial repair if it was more than you were expecting. I wouldn't assume anything beforehand.

I would have expected the FW to be updated. My only guess is that they serviced the camera before the FW was officially released, so maybe they weren't able to change it. That's just a hypothesis on my part.

Maybe your power on problem is a known reliability issue within Canon, but if you were outside of warranty and Canon hasn't publicly acknowledged it with a recall, I don't think you have any other options but hope for some random act of kindness from a large corporation. I think most times the consumer loses in that exchange...

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:58 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 7d power failure

My original 7D was one of the first ones sold at B&H so in fairness I should say that maybe the first batch had some bugs. The camera would lose power and would not power up whenever the temperature dropped to 40 degrees F or less. After allot of back and forth with Canon they agreed to replace the camera and the second has worked perfectly. I have heard of a few other 7D cameras with the same problem. If it fails again try to get them to replace it as this problem won't go away. My camera was also out of warranty when they replaced it.

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password