Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

hey all,

i'm still a bit confused about insurance options if you are not a professional. will companies such as:

http://www.apainsuranceservices.com/insurance-for-photographers/
&
http://www.tcpinsurance.com/photographers

insure non-professional/commercial photographers? i'm really not looking to spend $500/year to insure my equipment, and I don't have a business to insure.

folks mentioned state farm, but they don't underwrite policies in my area. i added a rider to my homeowners (allstate), but this only covers things like theft... not if i drop my camera in a shark tank whilst shooting hanging upside down from a trapeze.

so what are my options to get some real comprehensive coverage for my gear? thanks

Aug 03, 2012 at 06:29 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #2 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

doing some more searching online... it appears if you're a member of the PPA you are eligible for some coverage. you just have to pay the membership fee, which works out to about $10/month for the first two years and double after that. does anybody have experience with this coverage? perhaps this is a good way to go?

link:

http://www.ppa.com/insurance/

also, i contacted the APA insurance services and they mentioned CSI insurance, which is for students:

http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com/

this also appears to be affordable, the question is what do you have to do to qualify as a student. i'm not a full time student, but i do take photography courses at a local college. so i've contacted them to find out if i'm eligible. will advise, in case this helps anybody else here.

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:05 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

State Farm had no issue insuring my gear.

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:51 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #4 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

USAA has been very good to me.

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:07 PM
Manzelle
• •
p.1 #5 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

State Farm personal property insurance is what I use.

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:20 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #6 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

i'm not eligible for USAA and state farm doesn't underwrite here, so those are out for me

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #7 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

If you don't sell prints or charge for your services, then you are not a business and your camera gear doesn't fall into the category of "business property". Coverage for business property is very limited on a personal homeowners policy.

If you have homeowners insurance, then it also covers your personal property without the need to add any additional riders or endorsements. However, there are two key questions you need to answer....

1) Does your policy have a sub-limit on the amount of coverage available for camera gear/photographic equipment? If so, is it enough to cover your gear?

2) Does your policy provide coverage for the types of perils that you are concerned with? Things like fire/theft are almost certainly covered, but things like dropping it on the floor or falling into water may not be. You'd need to review the coverage terms and exclusions to know for sure.

My gear is insured on my homeowners policy with no need for extra premium or a rider and also has very broad perils coverage. However I work in insurance and have carefully reviewed my own policy and endorsements. You may want to sit down with your agent and review what your current homeowners policy covers and what gaps you need to address.

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:09 PM
photosenior
• • •
p.1 #8 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

Check and see if its covered under your home insurance. I'm with PEMCO, and they included it even if something happens not in the home...

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:15 PM
M Halder

p.1 #9 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

Earlier this year I insured my gear through State Farm as a rider to my homeowners policy. I had to provide a detailed list of all covered items and receipts. $10 a month for 10k coverage... cheap peace of mind. One thing to remember is to update the coverage as you add/sell gear since they only cover the items listed in the policy

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:33 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #10 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

my homeowners covers it in case of theft/fire and the like, but not in case of damage due to mechanical failure or, for instance,, dropping it. that's what I'm concerned about. plus there's a $1k deductible under my homeowners, so that's not ideal either.

I'm willing to pay a for a policy that covers all these bases/has a more reasonable deductible

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

goosemang
• • •
p.1 #11 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

FYI I heard back from CSI and I am eligible for coverage as im enrolled as a part time "graduate" student (I'm not getting a grad degree but they said it'd fall under this)

so I can get $5k worth of coverage through them with a $50 deductible for about $10/month. I might just do this

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:38 PM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #12 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

Manzelle wrote:
State Farm personal property insurance is what I use.

Ditto.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:14 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

eskimochaos wrote:
State Farm had no issue insuring my gear.

+1 personal articles policy (cover anything, you chuck it off a roof into a swamp, it gets stolen, doesn't matter where loss or damage occurs), something like $95ish for like $10,000ish so it's a lot, lot less than the OP's fears of $500.

in some regions they have started being pains though and some agents won't insure any expensive stuff and you may have to go to another agent in the region (in NC is was a breeze, in NJ I had to hunt around weird since there is less chance of robbery or fungus here than where I was in NC, by far, but the first agent up here refused it saying it is too much risk for him here)

Edited on Aug 04, 2012 at 01:18 AM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #14 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

I use State Farm as well. I have never had to make a claim, but a friend who also uses them has had very good experience. http://www.ronmartblog.com/2008/06/camera-gear-insurance-don-leave-home.html

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:51 AM
jek-wy
• •
p.1 #15 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

Farmers is my insurance, I am covered under my home-owners with the $1000 deductible for accidents (trapeze, shark tank, and such) but not simple mechanical failure. My agent said 'clumsy is covered but not mechanical'. I know that deductible is high - but in case of theft it is something. I'll be shopping insurance again in the fall though - thanks for sharing what you've learned.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:24 AM
kdlanejr
• •
p.1 #16 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

Marsh Affinity, a service of Seabury & Smith is the insurance company that used to be associated with the PPA. When the PPA moved to a different company seeking a bigger piece of the insurance pie, I left the PPA. I've zero use for a professional organization that screws with my business insurance.

That said, Marsh has the lowest deductible available. They also don't require you buy an insurance package. They will insure just your equipment against theft, accidental breakage, etc.

When I renewed my insurance this year I went with Hill & Usher. The deductible is higher, but they were able to offer me a complete insurance package for my business. Marsh was unable to offer one of the coverages I needed.

Those are the two companies I'd recommend. Marsh Affinity, or Hill & Usher. Don't worry about whether you're a pro or not. Both will evaluate your needs and do their best to garner your business.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:31 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #17 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

Travelers is mine - and they even cover NEW equipment for 30 days from date of purchase even IF you DONT TELL THEM!!! (25% of the total value of the policy)
*This is not normal, and the claims lady i spoke to didnt even know they did this, nor did the underwriter until they checked their books*
I had a 5DIII that got salt water damage 3 weeks after having it and they would have covered it even thought I never added it to my policy!!!
+1 for Travelers!!!

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:12 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

I also use State Farm & have had to file two claims.
One, for a dropped 5D body, which they paid full stated value
The other was for a dropped 70-200 lens that got some snow in it.
Covered the repair/shipment.

Definitely the way to go

Dan

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #19 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

Allstate wanted $188/year for $12,000 worth of gear coverage. You would have to give full records of all your equipment, and everything would have to be scheduled. Then it would be covered for anything anywhere. I have my home, two trucks and a car insured through them. . .for the moment.

I went with PPA.

WIth PPA, you are not covered with the aspiring Pro membership. It is the $300/ year membership that gets you the coverage. Just be sure to take advantage of the other benefits.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:17 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Insurance for non-commercial photographers

kdlanejr wrote:
Marsh Affinity, a service of Seabury & Smith is the insurance company that used to be associated with the PPA. When the PPA moved to a different company seeking a bigger piece of the insurance pie, I left the PPA. I've zero use for a professional organization that screws with my business insurance.

That said, Marsh has the lowest deductible available. They also don't require you buy an insurance package. They will insure just your equipment against theft, accidental breakage, etc.

When I renewed my insurance this year I went with Hill & Usher. The deductible is higher, but they
...Show more

no deductible at all for state farm though

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password