Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 1DMk2 AF sensitivity setting for Birds in Flight

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 1DMk2 AF sensitivity setting for Birds in Flight

Just wondered what would be the best setting for tracking Birds in Flight using my 1DMk2. I usually use a 100-400 or 70-200.

Aug 03, 2012 at 04:30 PM
impreza_GC8

p.1 #2 · Canon 1DMk2 AF sensitivity setting for Birds in Flight

Standard should be fine. The way I understand it, the tracking sensitivity refers to how fast the lens will snap focus when other objects enter the frame. If you are shooting a bird in flight nothing will be entering the frame to distract the constant focus.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Canon 1DMk2 AF sensitivity setting for Birds in Flight

One click to the left. It mainly controls how fast the focus leaves the subject which most times you don't want it leaving.
People at soccer matches on the other hand turn the setting up to jump from player to player very fast.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:05 PM
jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Canon 1DMk2 AF sensitivity setting for Birds in Flight

I don't think there's an AF tracking setting on the MK-2

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:40 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 1DMk2 AF sensitivity setting for Birds in Flight

The reality is that the tracking sensitivity setting is a double-edged sword. In theory, a slower setting should reduce the number of times that you lose focus contact, but that slower setting will also mean that, when you do lose focus contact with the subject, it will take longer to regain proper focus. On the other hand, in theory, a faster setting might mean that you are more likely to lose focus contact, but it will should also mean that, when focus contact is lost, you should be able to regain it more quickly.

After having used multiple 1-series bodies and a 7D with this setting, I've come to the conclusion that custom function setting defaults are the defaults for a reason, and that reason is that those defaults are the settings that should work in most situations. And this is true, in my experience, with the tracking sensitivity setting. With my 1D Mark II and the 1D Mark IV and 7D that I'm now using, I've found that the default setting works very well for birds in flight and other wildlife action. What I've also found is more important than this setting is using good technique, which includes making sure that you properly lock in focus with the selected AF point and being ready to back off and re-establish focus when focus contact is lost.

I have more information about these settings in the 1D Mark III and 1D Mark IV technique articles on my website. Even though you are using a 1D Mark II, the same general principles should apply.

http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/Technique/technique.html

Les

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password