Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

Stilltime
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

This is a bad picture, but someone semi-local is selling a "box of old film cameras" and sent me this picture taken on their phone. They are only asking $20 for all of it, but I am unsure whether there is any value in them or not.

I see one of them is a Kodak Brownie from the box, but I can't make out any other information...Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris C.

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:22 PM
millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

If you think any of it would look nice on a display shelf (I have a shelf full of old folding cameras myself) then its worth $20

If you think your going to buy them as an investment or to turn around and resell for profit etc, then no, not going to happen and waste of $20

If you look at Ebay you'll find these are a dime a dozen (though usually like $10 to ship even when you buy one for a $1) but still are rather cool decor items and as photographers, rather interested to see just how far we have come

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #3 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

I appreciate the input. If any of them take 35mm film (I am not well-informed on older cameras whatsoever) then I would like to tinker with shooting them, but I do not want to have to source hard-to-find film/processing.

I guess a better question would be if anyone does recognize these, do they take 35mm film? I have always lusted for neat folding cameras, but it would be 100X more beneficial owning one if I could actually go out and shoot with it.

Looks like three cameras, a flash and a...spot meter

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

The small one in the middle is probably for 135 film, but could also be 127 film (4x4).
The ones on the left will likely take 120 film (6x6 and 6x9) and could give interesting results. I tried an old Zeiss Ikon Nettar the other day, and there are som pics in my blog (text in swedish though): http://www.fotosidan.se/blogs/hertsius/bildkvaliteten-var-inte-fy-skam-pa.htm

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:37 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

The one in the rear looks like a Poloroid Land Camera 150. Worth $20 just for conversation pieces or a nice display case. I've heard of people hacking this camera to make it into MF film camera, but I never did that to mine (don't really want to mess with film)

Here's my copy, currently on the fireplace mantle

Polaroid Land Camera 150 by J L Smith, on Flickr

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:42 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

Makten wrote:
The small one in the middle is probably for 135 film, but could also be 127 film (4x4).
The ones on the left will likely take 120 film (6x6 and 6x9) and could give interesting results. I tried an old Zeiss Ikon Nettar the other day, and there are som pics in my blog (text in swedish though): http://www.fotosidan.se/blogs/hertsius/bildkvaliteten-var-inte-fy-skam-pa.htm

Snack means jazz in Swedish?

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

If jazz means chat or talk, then yes

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:01 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

carstenw wrote:
If jazz means chat or talk, then yes

Damn you, freetranslation!

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

I have an unfair advantage, in that I am of Danish descent. I had some trouble with verkstad, but it seems that in this case the translation is "much talk and little action"

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:26 PM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #10 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

The folding one with a red button is an Ansco Speedex. The one in the back without the bellows extended is (most likely) a Kodak folding camera from between 1910-1930. It isn't a Polaroid, it has black (as opposed to dark grey) leather, and nubs that hold the film spools that are visible from the outside, on Polaroid roll film cameras, the film rested inside of the camera freely. The camera in the box is a Kodak Starflash, and the meter is a Weston Master. I can't tell the one in the center, but I'm betting it is 127 as there is no rewind knob. None of the cameras are fantastic, or highly collectible, but the Ansco (and potentially the Kodak folder) use 120 film, so you could have some fun with them.

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #11 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

dirb9 wrote:
The folding one with a red button is an Ansco Speedex. The one in the back without the bellows extended is (most likely) a Kodak folding camera from between 1910-1930. It isn't a Polaroid, it has black (as opposed to dark grey) leather, and nubs that hold the film spools that are visible from the outside, on Polaroid roll film cameras, the film rested inside of the camera freely. The camera in the box is a Kodak Starflash, and the meter is a Weston Master. I can't tell the one in the center, but I'm betting it is 127 as
...Show more

Thanks for the detailed response!! I think I might go ahead and pick these up today for the heck of it.

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:50 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

I think that is a better idea than trying to think of it as a business plan These are just neat old cameras, have some fun with them.

Aug 04, 2012 at 06:42 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #13 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

The camera in the middle is an Agfa Karat Rapid.

Aug 04, 2012 at 11:24 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #14 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

Cameras that took 120 film might be of interest to people who are interested in trying medium format. Not sure what they're worth anymore, but might be worth more than $20. Check before you give away, not sure about these but if any of it is collectable might be worth something. Probably not, but who knows.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:38 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

for $20.00, why even the question… get them!

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:21 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Recognize these Folding Film Cameras?

Totally! You can get your $20 back just from selling one of the light meters.

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:23 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password