Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Black and white processing critique

Stu Scully

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Black and white processing critique

Wanted to get some outside opinions on this converted picture. I don't do a lot of B&W processing (looking to change that) so I wanted to get some thoughts/comments on this one.

BTW this is a good friend's daughter I shot while just visiting (so the pose and background were all impromptu with no set up).

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Black and white processing critique

I like the conversion, you have a very good range from blacks in the lower left to good whites. The eyes are great, too bad for the typical young child facial expression. They just don't realize how hard it is to work with that do they!

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Black and white processing critique

Stu,

I agree with Travis, nice tonal range, etc. Some might quibble about the white point but looks fine to me.

Not knowing how/what was used for the conversion, I'll add my 2-cents: There are more than several BW conversion methods, as I am sure you are aware. I suggest you find that which works best for you and stick with it. Personally, I find LR4.1 offers fine results and flexibility, as does Silver Efex Pro (with many more options and tools to apply).

I have found the SEP is prone to creating "blooms" in areas I circled on the illustration. That is the edges really blossom and once noticed, become quite distracting. This happens when applying the color sliders and I am confident are an artifact of something I am doing incorrectly. I am not known for having a particularly delicate touch

Regards,

Bob

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:40 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Black and white processing critique

Plane of sharpest focus is perfectly placed. I like the subject's expression - not every child ought to be smiling. Candid shots of children ought to capture the whole range of emotions.

Consider trimming some from the right to tighten the composition. Additional blurring of the background ought to tighten the composition as well. Consider a smaller and less obtrusive watermark.

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Black and white processing critique

I think you already have the feedback.
To sum, nice conversion. As far as SEP conversions, you can always modify a bit with control points, in this case probably reducing the clarity further will smooth some of the effect. I dont generally notice this problem. Perhaps its pushing the sliders more as Bob suggested.
Nice capture with tighter crop improving further.
Lets see some more!
Scott

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Stu Scully

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Black and white processing critique

Thanks for the feedback. Conversion was done in LR with a little contrast and clarity added. As far as the artifacts, there were quite a few random objects in the background as well that could be adding to the artifacts you are seeing. Hoping to do some black and whites with better prepared backgrounds to test out your theory though.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:14 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Black and white processing critique

Stu Scully wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Conversion was done in LR with a little contrast and clarity added. As far as the artifacts, there were quite a few random objects in the background as well that could be adding to the artifacts you are seeing. Hoping to do some black and whites with better prepared backgrounds to test out your theory though.

Sometimes I've seen clarity have a similar effect - reducing (-) helps blur and blend offending edges.

Bob

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Black and white processing critique

If clarity is a problem with the background, just apply it to the subject. In ACR, use the adjustment brush.

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password