Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

Today, I found out that my Sigma 50 f/1.4 and 30 f/1.4, won't work in Live View on my d7000. I have several other Sigma lenses, but only 1 that I'd likely use in Live View, the 150 Macro, but I didn't have time to check it today.

Regardless, I'd like to know if you d7k/Sigma folks have gotten a fix from Sigma for this issue. If so, what was the repair time needed? If not, has Sigma indicated a time frame that they'll have a fix for the problem?

My d7k is only 5 months old, so it seems obvious that Nikon won't fix their firmware. I assume that all of the new bodies will have this issue, so I'll have to send in all of the lenses that I want to work with Live View. It would be much cheaper if Nikon would just fix their firmware like they did the last time this came up.

All of these lenses work fine with the d700, d300, etc. This is really a PITA. phooey

thanks
Kerry

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:42 PM
saelee
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

What problem are you experiencing when you said not working?

I don't have the Sigma 30 or 50mm but I just check all of my Sigma lens and they all seem to work fine on my D7k in Live View.

These are the Sigma lens that I just tested with my D7k and don't see any problem.
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS
Sigma 85mm f/1.4
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro (non-OS)

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:04 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

I have the same problem with my Sigmas, I forget which one - haven't bothered to check if there's a lens firmware update for it.

@saelee, The issue is firmware incompatibility in how the lens communicates with the body. Since Nikon's F-mount is a proprietary, undocumented interface, third party lens makers like Sigma had to reverse engineer the mount interface. They generally get it right but sometimes a new body comes out which uses an aspect of the interface which Sigma hadn't accounted for in their reverse engineering. It so happens that most of the recent incompatibilities manifest for Live View contrast-detect AF, where the lens wont focus at all.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:14 AM
saelee
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

snapsy wrote:
I have the same problem with my Sigmas, I forget which one - haven't bothered to check if there's a lens firmware update for it.

@saelee, The issue is firmware incompatibility in how the lens communicates with the body. Since Nikon's F-mount is a proprietary, undocumented interface, third party lens makers like Sigma had to reverse engineer the mount interface. They generally get it right but sometimes a new body comes out which uses an aspect of the interface which Sigma hadn't accounted for in their reverse engineering. It so happens that most of the recent incompatibilities manifest for Live View
...Show more

I was aware of the reverse engineering that Sigma needs to do to make their lens work on a Nikon body. I was just wondering what problem he was having to see if I needed to test my lens again.

I had no problem with AF with any of the 3 lens that I just did.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

The problem is the same with both lenses, which I was trying to use with Reikan's FoCal software. In either the software or in LV, the camera apparently doesn't send the right signals to the lens to move the focusing element. The focusing element doesn't move at all, so AF fails at that point with these 2 lenses. I have more Sigma lenses, but didn't have time to test them all on the d7k.

Both lenses work just fine on both the d300 and d700.

Kerry

Aug 03, 2012 at 06:14 AM
bqq100

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

I have the same problem on my D7000 + Sigma 50-150 2.8 II. I actually contacted them about it, but never sent it in. Here is the response I got (I mentioned in my initial email that the lens was out of warranty).

I rarely use live view, so not a big deal for me... One of these days though I may send it in.

Thank you for contacting Sigma Corporation of America.

It is possible that it is just a firmware upgrade that is needed but the technicians would make the final determination once it is here.

As long as it is just a firmware upgrade that is needed they typically only charge to cover the shipping costs back to your US mailing address.

If you are outside the US you are responsible for any shipping, customs, taxes etc that are associated with shipment in both directions.

If it is more then an upgrade that the lens needs they will provide you with a free estimate,

If you reside in
...Show more

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:52 AM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

I just re-procured another D7000 from Amazon last week, along with an FM member's Sigma EX 30/1.4 lens that was purchased new in December 2011. I've got no issues with using the lens on the D7000 in Live View. Works perfect.

Jim

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:38 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

Wow, responses all over the map..... Thanks for the Sigma message info, bqq100.

I don't get why Nikon had to change the LV code for AF. The lenses work fine with phase detect AF on the d7k. So why is the CD AF code slightly different, especially to where it apparently doesn't affect all lenses? Dunno... Too much mystery for my little brain.

The 30 is several years old and the 50 is probably 2 or 3 years old. I wouldn't normally use them in LV, except for doing focus accuracy checks and figuring out lens Fine Tune.

Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for the responses, guys. It's been quite interesting. Dunno that I'll fuss with sending them in. That could get expensive if I sent all of them.

thanks
Kerry

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · any news on Nikon vs Sigma on the d7000?

My Sigma 50 f1.4 works fine on my D7K in live view. No problems at all.

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.