New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mac Pro Value

ben robinson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mac Pro Value

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question, but everyone around here seems really knowledgable, so I thought I would ask away.

I am selling a camera and some lenses and I had an offer to trade for a mac pro. I had planned on getting a used mac pro, but have recently been thinking about waiting and getting an iMac when they are upgraded. That said, I am considering this offer and I would love to know the relative value of the system being offered to me. Here it is,

"2007 Mac pro tower upgraded to 2.66ghz 8core, 16GB Ram, 150g SSD(leopard), 120GB SSD(Lion), 750GB and 1 TB.(4HDDs)

Super fast great Mac.

And I spent more than $2000 for this Mac to upgrade.

It's Logic studio full version, final cut pro, CS5, Office 2010, etc installed."

What would you estimate is a ballpark for this system.
Thanks

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:14 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mac Pro Value

It's probably about average a deal. First, there was no 2007 2.66 GHz Mac Pro. The 2007 Mac Pro only came in a 3.0 GHz configuration. The 2006 Mac Pro was introduced on August 7, 2006, and came in 2.0, 2.66, and 3.0 GHz configurations. These were quad core models. The 2007 3.0 GHz model (the only model introduced that year) was 8 core. The standard RAM for the 2.66 GHz model was 1 GB. So there seems to be some discrepancy in the description of the base computer. The estimated "retail" value for the 2006 2.66 GHz model is $1100 - $1400.

At OWC, to upgrade an early model Mac Pro from 1GB to 16GB of RAM is about $400.

The SSD drives (new) would be in the $175 - $200 range.

I would eliminate the software in the price estimate if the seller cannot provide transfer of ownership, because the programs mentioned require authentication and would be "dead end" versions if you could not upgrade.

And Apple is not supporting that old a Mac Pro with Mountain Lion, so you could never upgrade beyond Lion.

It would not be a deal that I would go after unless I saw that it met my current needs, and I had no anticipation of moving forward with software or the operating system.

Edited on Aug 02, 2012 at 07:03 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:41 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mac Pro Value

Its OK I guess but remember its been quite a long time since the pro got upgraded. If you are at all computer literate? There are other options for the technologically fearless...

Transfer ownership is a must as the above bright spark mentioned.

If it is 2006 then you are paying for a 6 year old computer with no upgrade path.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:46 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mac Pro Value

Also I'd add as a MacPro 2006 2.66 GHz owner, Lion is the last OS you'll be able to load on it as Mountain Lion is not compatible with MacPro's 1,1.

If you want a deal, go to the Apple Store and look at refurbs and buy something current so you can get another 6 years out of it.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:14 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mac Pro Value

JBPhotog wrote:
Also I'd add as a MacPro 2006 2.66 GHz owner, Lion is the last OS you'll be able to load on it as Mountain Lion is not compatible with MacPro's 1,1.

Already covered in my post.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.