Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

I have a D7000 and was thinking about picking up a macro lens in the 80-105 mm size. I know its not the ideal usage for that type of lens but I was wondering if anyone had used one for indoor sports like basketball. Focus speed and accuracy I guess would be my main considerations. If anyone had tried that or a similar usage and been happy or unhappy I would love to hear about that experience. Thanks Brian

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:56 PM
Keopele19
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

Nikon's 85mm 1.8 would be great. Not the fastest AF, but i've used it for indoor sports and had good results. It's inexpensive too.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:19 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

Thanks but you mean the regular lens not the macro right? I was really looking for a macro suggestion.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:07 AM
canondoc
• •
p.1 #4 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

Why macro? You've provided no information as to why you are leaning towards macro...

Your answer either way- not a good choice. You should be using something at the slowest maybe 1.8 or F2. There will be people who will come in here and talk about how they shoot indoor sports with a 70-200 2.8 or something, but as much as it's doable, it's just not the best option at all and any real pro would know that a faster prime would smoke it and allow more shooting options.

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:55 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

Macro lenses are usually very slow to autofocus, and usually fastest aperture is F2.8. Indoor sports require faster AF and aperture then they offer. I'd stay far away from them for sports use.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:27 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

The reason I want a macro is so that I can take macro photo's. I have some kenko rings which work but I find it a bit of a pain to find the right size ring and to have to keep switching them in and out. So I was thinking about selling them and picking up a dedicated lens. I was just thinking about taking some shots of my son playing basketball this year so if I could get a lens that could do double duty it would sort of kill two birds with one stone. I know its not the ideal option for sports I was just wondering if one brand was better at it than another it might push me to consider one lens over another as it seems like most macro lenses get pretty good reviews otherwise. Thanks again Brian

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

subidiom
• •
p.1 #7 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

Matt OHarver wrote:
Macro lenses are usually very slow to autofocus, and usually fastest aperture is F2.8. Indoor sports require faster AF and aperture then they offer. I'd stay far away from them for sports use.

I concur that a macro lens is not the best for sports, especially indoors. The focusing speed is an issue as is the fact that they're optimized for close focusing, not distance. I tried using my Nikkor 105mm VR for indoor basketball and was very unsatisfied. My keeper rate was very low. Had better luck with my 50mm f/1.8G for small gymnasium work.

Ultimately, I bit the bullet and invested in a 70-200 VRII, which IMHO is required for indoor action.

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:59 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #8 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

I have Nikon's 105 VR and don't think I would use it on the grand kids soccer or VB games,, afraid there would be to many shots missed,,

I have never tried as my other glass supports my needs but if the macro lens goes on a focus hunt your shot is gone,,

Derry

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:57 PM
VarsityMonthly

p.1 #9 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

We shoot a ton of indoor sports in high school gyms. The best choice is without a doubt the 70-200mm f2.8. For some older gyms with VERY BAD lighting, I have never been disappointed with the 50mm f1.8G, works great sitting on the floor near the edge of the key in Basketball.

Aug 04, 2012 at 04:21 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

Okay, Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the macro sports lens is a oxymoron. I will go back to the drawing board. Thanks Brian

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:41 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Macro lens for indoor sports??

briancphoto wrote:
Okay, Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the macro sports lens is a oxymoron. I will go back to the drawing board. Thanks Brian

You would be correct in that.

Aug 04, 2012 at 11:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password