Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Can we discuss an issue with a D-300?

papageno
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Can we discuss an issue with a D-300?

I have a D300 with about 10K actuations. I know--I don't use it enough.

In taking panos, I set everything to manual: shutter, aperture, WB and focus.

I want the images to match out of the box.

Instead, I'm getting some variation, which here means that I get one of two exposures, both of which appear in the metadata as the same. No discernible pattern, but since the images are in sunlight and variation seems unlikely. The variation is perhaps 1/3 of a stop.

Has this happened to you?

Generally these are correctable errors, but subtly annoying.

Suggestion?

Service guy says it is fine and that he doesn't see the problem....

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Adam Bavier
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Can we discuss an issue with a D-300?

It could be a lens issue relating to the aperture blades not closing down to the same amount say F/8 for each frame. Try taking a series of pictures wide open, so there isn't any closing down, and see if the exposure are now the same.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:41 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #3 · Can we discuss an issue with a D-300?

You've probably already checked these but since you didn't mention them... have you verified auto ISO is off and you aren't bkt shots?

beyond that I would have to agree that the only other variable that I could think of would be what Adam previously mentioned about aperture consistency.

Does this variation happen with multiple lenses or just one?

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #4 · Can we discuss an issue with a D-300?

agree with above.......one reason folks shooting time lapse generally shoot wide open at night isn't due to lack of light, its due to "flickering" caused by the aperture not closing exactly the same every shot........about a 1/3 stop variation would not be unusual. On older lenses (pre AI) you can set the aperture manually at the f/stop you desire and not worry about it (but then you have to have a set of older lenses !!!).

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:29 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.1 #5 · Can we discuss an issue with a D-300?

Diaphragm blades don't close perfectly consistently, as noted above, though in Nikkors they're usually a bit better than 1⁄3 stop. Nor do shutters produce exact exposures consistently, especially at the short times you'd use in direct sunlight.

Also check you've switched off Active D-Lighting, which can unpredictably brighten shadows while the exposure remains constant (much like autoexposure can vary exposure a little despite a seemingly static scene).

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:37 PM
papageno
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Can we discuss an issue with a D-300?

Interesting answers. ISO is indeed fixed (usually at 200), d-lighting is off, Definitely not bracketing.

Last one was 1/125 at f9.0 using the nikon full frame fisheye. This happens with other lenses, most notably with the 17-35, the 12-24. I'll be trying it on a manual 28/2.0 in my drawer.

Seems odd but would the use a stop between traditional US stops possibly have a different effect than f 8.0 or 11?

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:33 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password