Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2012 · Effective tripod carrying strategies
  
 
photogwest
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


Hey all,

Took a short hike/scouting trip into Rickett's Glen this weekend and realized how badly I need a good way to carry my tripod/camera/lens combo. I have the Lowepro Flipside 200...carries my D700 + lenses just fine, but the strap and pouch on the back to hold a tripod is weak; feels like it's gonna rip the strap right off when I have my Manfrotto aluminum tripod on the back. Most of the time I was just carrying the tripod/camera/lens on my shoulder, but that made it difficult to navigate the steep hike and it hurts after awhile on your shoulder.

What do you recommend? Can I jerry-rig something? Have to get a new bag? It seems like have a couple straps on the bottom and carrying it sideways may be a better option, but might be a lower back problem.



Aug 02, 2012 at 05:11 PM
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


I added an old camera strap to my tripod. I just held it on with hose clamps. Works pretty good and much better than any system I have had to add it to your bag. Flopping the bag plus a tripod over your back is a chore. Better to have the tripod on its own strap which can be removed before removing the bag. Two light loads rather than one heavy one.

But I carry a big aluminum Gitzo with a heavy Acraswiss ballhead. I am going to get a smaller carbon tripod and lightweight ballhead for hiking and will probably get a tripod bag to carry it.



Aug 02, 2012 at 11:49 PM
bipock
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


I carry mine in my hand. Haven't yet found a bag that I thought was handling the tripod well or holdong it securely if I bent over (the back of head can verify this).


Aug 03, 2012 at 01:50 AM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


Tripods usually have pads on two legs for a couple of reasons. To prevent frostbite in the cold, and to provide a comfortable grip when walking.


Aug 03, 2012 at 02:29 AM
Steve Wylie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


I agree with Ben above. I've put an old camera strap on my tripod, too, but it keeps slipping up and down the leg. I have twice suggested to the folks at Really Right Stuff that they simply add two small attachment points to their tripods for straps, but so far, no luck (as far as I know...I can't afford a new one anyway).


Aug 03, 2012 at 03:24 AM
nelvayut
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


I usually hang my gitzo carbon fiber tripod with markins ballhead at the side of my lowepro compuDaypack or my lowepro fastpack 350 everytime I hike around Ricketts glen and fingerlakes area. I've been doing that since 2008 and my backpack strap still fine until now.


Aug 03, 2012 at 12:02 PM
photogwest
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


nelvayut wrote:
I usually hang my gitzo carbon fiber tripod with markins ballhead at the side of my lowepro compuDaypack or my lowepro fastpack 350 everytime I hike around Ricketts glen and fingerlakes area. I've been doing that since 2008 and my backpack strap still fine until now.


What do you mean hang it at the side? What does that look like?



Aug 03, 2012 at 12:48 PM
JohnBrose
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


Many camera backpacks have straps, or pouches etc. to attach a small tripod. My lowepro laptop backpack does I know. So that might be an option. Just store your equipment in the bag and small tripod on the back or side of the bag wherever the attachment straps are. For short hikes, I usually carry mine or inlist a family member to do so.


Aug 03, 2012 at 01:09 PM
photogwest
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


Well, my old and small generic brand tripod fit fine on the back of my Lowepro pack, but the Manfrotto 055XPROB is significantly larger/heavier. Any suggestions on bags with better, stronger straps? I think a bag with two straps would work a lot better. And since I'm doing day hikes, maybe there are some more backpacking-like bags with better straps for a tripod...


Aug 03, 2012 at 02:00 PM
photogwest
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


ben egbert wrote:
I added an old camera strap to my tripod. I just held it on with hose clamps. Works pretty good and much better than any system I have had to add it to your bag. Flopping the bag plus a tripod over your back is a chore. Better to have the tripod on its own strap which can be removed before removing the bag. Two light loads rather than one heavy one.

But I carry a big aluminum Gitzo with a heavy Acraswiss ballhead. I am going to get a smaller carbon tripod and lightweight ballhead for hiking and will
...Show more

definitely something to consider. You have a picture of that setup by chance?



Aug 03, 2012 at 02:02 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



nelvayut
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


I hang my tripod on the lower side of my backpack strap like a sword and I just pull it before removing my backpack. For me that is safer and it doesn't damage my tripod and it doesn't hit anybody that walks beside me. The fastpack 350 has a small strap in the front that you can hang one leg of your tripod but I don't do this because it will damage the tripod if I bump in big rocks or trees.


Aug 03, 2012 at 02:02 PM
michaelnel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


Steve Wylie wrote:
I agree with Ben above. I've put an old camera strap on my tripod, too, but it keeps slipping up and down the leg. I have twice suggested to the folks at Really Right Stuff that they simply add two small attachment points to their tripods for straps, but so far, no luck (as far as I know...I can't afford a new one anyway).


You can get black zip ties with a hole in one end, intended for putting a screw through to hold a wire bundle in place on a wall. If you put a couple of those on your tripod, you have a place to attach some strap clips.

Like these:





&cache=1343936217522



Aug 03, 2012 at 03:59 PM
michaelnel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


The Tenba Shootout backpack I have now has the best thought-out tripod carrier I have seen.


Aug 03, 2012 at 04:02 PM
photogwest
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


nelvayut wrote:
I hang my tripod on the lower side of my backpack strap like a sword and I just pull it before removing my backpack. For me that is safer and it doesn't damage my tripod and it doesn't hit anybody that walks beside me. The fastpack 350 has a small strap in the front that you can hang one leg of your tripod but I don't do this because it will damage the tripod if I bump in big rocks or trees.


Doesn't that smack your legs and get in the way of walking/hiking?



Aug 03, 2012 at 04:39 PM
nelvayut
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


photogwest wrote:
Doesn't that smack your legs and get in the way of walking/hiking?



No, It doesn't hit my legs and it doesn't bother me while walking/hiking. My husband also carry his big gitzo tripod with arcaswiss ballhead like this without any problem.



Aug 03, 2012 at 04:58 PM
photogwest
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


nelvayut wrote:
No, It doesn't hit my legs and it doesn't bother me while walking/hiking. My husband also carry his big gitzo tripod with arcaswiss ballhead like this without any problem.


You're saying you hang it at the bottom of one of the backpack shoulder straps at your waist?



Aug 03, 2012 at 05:54 PM
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


photogwest wrote:
definitely something to consider. You have a picture of that setup by chance?


I made a couple of quick picture for you.












Aug 03, 2012 at 06:33 PM
nelvayut
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


photogwest wrote:
You're saying you hang it at the bottom of one of the backpack shoulder straps at your waist?



Yeah. The strap is strong to hold the tripod and it doesn't bother me even if I bend to tie my hiking shoes.



Aug 03, 2012 at 06:34 PM
adam613
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


What about a dedicated tripod strap? You can either attach the strap to your pack or use it to carry the tripod on your arm. I've got one of these...it works well for me, but a lot of this is a matter of personal taste.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/39644-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1201012_Tripod_Strap_Black.html



Aug 03, 2012 at 08:13 PM
wilt
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Effective tripod carrying strategies


Manfrotto tripods have a mounting hole in the spider for their tripod straps.



Now I use a OpTech Super Classic strap with binocular ends (shown at top center),

which allow you to make a loop that goes around below the ballhead as well as a loop that goes around one (or more) leg of the tripod.



You sling the tripod over a shoulder and carry it vertically at your back like a rifle, and on the opposite shoulder from a over-shoulder bag, it helps to improve the balance and reduces the stress on your spine of having all the weight on one shoulder as you hike. With camera mounted on the tripod, you sling it all on your shoulder, but with the tripod and camera dangling downward (rather than at your back), to move to a new location to take other shots.

Personally, I consider tripod straps on camera bags one of the stupidest things you can do...let's hang 5-8 lbs of weight out a number of inches from your body where it has more leverage in adding stress to your body.



Aug 04, 2012 at 05:36 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password