Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Delaney at the beach

gregSC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Delaney at the beach

Constructive comments welcome.
Greg

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:11 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Delaney at the beach

Cute little girl. Nice exposure and b/w conversion. She seems very small in this frame and I'm not loving the downward angle of the shot.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:13 PM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #3 · Delaney at the beach

Thanks for your comments. I agree about her being small in the frame, I was trying to incorporate the size of the pier in the shot. I guess if it had a little more upward angle I could have gotten both her more in the frame and still incorporated the pier. Thanks for the great comments.

Greg

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Delaney at the beach

Howdy,

My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

This is a nice photo. Pleasant to see.

I like the BW and composition.

I like the light on the subject/figure/face and think that, along with the subtel facial expression is what makes this such a nice photo.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:23 PM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #5 · Delaney at the beach

Steady Hand wrote:
Howdy,

My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them.
...Show more

Thanks for your nice comments

Greg

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:29 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Delaney at the beach

Lots of good things going on here. She's a lovely young lady. The light is wonderful and you did a great job with the B&W conversion. It's good that she's turned so she isn't square to the camera.

Frankly, I'm more interested in Delaney than I am in that dark old pier. The dark, blobby character is a disturbing contrast to the soft nature of her portrait. By all means take a wide shot like this, but I hope you're also taking a closer photo, such as a clean waist up one.

Also, I can almost hear you telling her: "Why don't you put your hand on the pier?". The pose is a little stiff. I guess you were trying to connect the two. I think a nice simple pose would have worked well, perhaps with her arms crossed. Look at magazines and fashion ads and notice the crossed arm pose and what the models to with their hands. It can be a graceful pose.

I got tickled when someone showed me a photo of me photographing a young person. I didn't realize I was bending over to get the camera at their eye height. It's gotten to be instinctive. I notice my photography students often take photos of youngsters from a standing position. I suggest shooting from at or just above their eye level.

I presume this is a built-in model. I look forward to seeing more photographs from you of her!

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:06 PM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · Delaney at the beach

dmacmillan wrote:
Lots of good things going on here. She's a lovely young lady. The light is wonderful and you did a great job with the B&W conversion. It's good that she's turned so she isn't square to the camera.

Frankly, I'm more interested in Delaney than I am in that dark old pier. The dark, blobby character is a disturbing contrast to the soft nature of her portrait. By all means take a wide shot like this, but I hope you're also taking a closer photo, such as a clean waist up one.

Also, I can almost hear you telling her: "Why
...Show more

Thanks for the well written comment. You told it just as it happened. I was trying to get more into the frame, most of what I shoot tends to be very close. I have been trying to get more enviroment into the pictures, so that is why there was alot framed. This is something I am still working on, so your comments are well taken. Thanks again for your very constructive comments.

Greg

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Delaney at the beach

Great image Greg.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:28 AM

gregSC
• • •
p.1 #9 · Delaney at the beach

Chris Fawkes wrote:
Great image Greg.

Thanks for your kind comments. She is my wonderful little girl. It is hard to get her to pose much, so I get the shots in when she will let me.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:37 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #10 · Delaney at the beach

I really, really like this. agree with others that a slightly lowe perspective might help. But the light, conversio, her pose and expression are just great.

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:38 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #11 · Delaney at the beach

benee wrote:
I really, really like this. agree with others that a slightly lowe perspective might help. But the light, conversio, her pose and expression are just great.

Thanks for your nice comments

Greg

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:08 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Delaney at the beach

This is a great mood portrait, unique treatment and style. Kudos.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:42 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Delaney at the beach

I think it is sublime as is.

The huge rustic pier contrasts her diminutive and innocent presence.

The b/w conversion and DOF is ideal.

Another shot i wished I had taken

greg

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:31 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #14 · Delaney at the beach

jfinite wrote:
This is a great mood portrait, unique treatment and style. Kudos.

Thanks for the nice comments. Love your street shots.
Greg

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:36 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #15 · Delaney at the beach

gheller wrote:
I think it is sublime as is.

The huge rustic pier contrasts her diminutive and innocent presence.

The b/w conversion and DOF is ideal.

Another shot i wished I had taken

greg

"Another shot i wished I had taken"
Thanks, made me feel good. I like the shot as you can tell, but I appreciate the comment.

I also want to say all other comments were appreciated and well taken for the next time.

Greg

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:39 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password