Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Campus canyon

Kenj8246
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Campus canyon

An alley between the Pavilion, a parking garage and the student library on the TAMU campus. Shot late yesterday with a Zeiss Ikonta 521/16, Arista EDU 400 film.

Too dark? Too light? Too grainy? Not grainy enough? Too much contrast? Not enough contrast? I have mixed feelings about it, personally, but would like opinions. Good, bad or otherwise.

The Pavilion by kenj8246, on Flickr

Kenny

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Campus canyon

Too grainy for me, Kenny.
Mostly though- IMO- there's so much empty concrete that it overwhelms all else.
Charlie

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:05 PM
wclavey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Campus canyon

It is a bit grainy. If you hadn't said, I would have thought it was Ilford... Arista EDU 400 was one of my standard films, but I shot it in 120 & 4x5, so the grain was not as much of an issue.

I agree with Charlie about the concrete in the foreground. If you brought the bottom of the frame up to a line just below the base of the lamp post on the left, then I think it gives the image a more balanced look.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Campus canyon

Thanks Charlie and Wes. It is very grainy. My developing leaves something to be desired. This is 120, Wes in 6X6. Arista Premium 400 in 35mm is usually a lot less grainy but then, I develop it differently: longer time and less agitation. It's also a different film, supposedly rebranded TriX and this is rebranded Foma, or some such. Here are two different crops. I honestly like the square crop better now that I've been shooting medium format for a bit.

Think I'll try to develop the next roll of 400 in a different manner...see if I can cut down on the grain.

Other crops of a crappy shot by kenj8246, on Flickr

Other crops of a crappy shot by kenj8246, on Flickr

Kenny

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:48 PM
wclavey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Campus canyon

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the Zeiss Ikonta! !

I developed all my MF & LF, even 35mm, together in single batches in a Jobo processing tank on a roller base. All speeds, all brands in the same batch. I used a technique I learned about over on the LF forum and it really worked well - - I have hundred of negatives processed this way. I hesitate to talk about it, because whenever someone would post about it, it always generated a lot of negative commentary - - most about how it couldn't possibly work. But if you are interested, let me know and I'll send it in a PM... but it requires using a roller base.

But my point of bringing it up was that it was a great way to deal with grainy films. Yes, the Arista EDU 400 was Foma, at least a few years ago when I was still shooting big batches of it. I think my favorite 400 was the reformulated Kodak Tmax 400. It really had a great look in both 4x5 and 120.

Aug 04, 2012 at 04:06 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Campus canyon

I dunno that I wanna get into it that big, Wes. Right now, small tank is serving my needs, no more than I shoot. I need to order a couple five-packs of Tmax 100.

Kenny

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password