Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

WannaTakePix

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

Hi All,

I've recently bought a used 40D.

Looked in good condition when I got it.
Before getting it I asked the seller whether it had any visible marks on the LCD's.

He replied "none, unless you look with a magnifying glass"

There are 4 quite LARGE cleat scratches on the back !
The camera doesn't connect to my PC correctly
&
It also has over 94,000 actuations on it.

I've contacted the seller to inform him of my dissatisfaction.

As the item isn't as described, working properly and has so many actuations on it.
Is it unreasonable for me to find it strange that; someone who has had a 40D since new and now owns a 7D DOESN'T know how to fid the number of actuations?

I have also contacted ebay, the seller has listed the item as "Returns Accepted"
They have said to wait a copy of days and if he doesn't reply to raise a Case to resolve.
Somethig I don't really want to do, but will have no choice if no reply is received,

Do you think my case is reasonable?
How long can 40D shutters last for? (I've seen anywhere between 1500-120000)

Frustratedly,

WTP

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:28 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

What kind of feedback did the seller have?

Did it come from Nigeria?

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

When I buy used, I buy refurbished by Canon at a reputable dealer such as Adarama, B&H or Canons' website...I don't trust Ebay...Craigslist...or most any individual any more...not that there aren't any, I just don't care for the odds, most if not all of the refurbished gear has been hands on QC'ed and in most cases is "Like New"...just my nickels worth...

Jefferson

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

"Doesn't connect to your PC correctly" can be caused by software state on your computer, not by the camera. Uninstall your Canon software, re-install it, and update it. There is also a specific order for installation and connection that makes a difference. Around the time of the 40D, people had trouble if they didn't follow the exact order that Canon specified in the instruction sheet.

What did you pay for it?

Shutters can last a very long time. The fact that a shutter lasts 94k and didn't die in the first 10k means that has an actuarial expectation of longer life than average. Just like people who make it to sixty years of age have an actuarial expectation of longer life than person who is only at 10 years of age so far. "Life is uncertain: eat dessert first!"

You agreed to buy it with an unknown number of actuations, so you can't complain when you find that it has a lot. That's not a valid complaint and the seller did not misrepresent that point.

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

eskimochaos wrote:
What kind of feedback did the seller have?

Did it come from Nigeria?

And what’s wrong with Nigeria?

I have an automatic debit account with Nigeria Lens and Camera Supply and they promise to give me 30% rebates directly to my bank account or may be used for future purchases, and all camera supplies are 70% off retail…

I’m waiting on FedEx to bring my new 1Dx and 1200 f/5.6L kit that I only had to give $2100 for and they threw in a 5DIII for free as a promo offer for new customers …Should have been here last week…let me check my bank account and call FedEx see what the delay is…

Did I mention they have “Free World Wide Delivery”? ...I’ll post some images when I get my new toys…I’ll be the envy of the Forum

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:20 PM
WannaTakePix

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

Good feedback 100% a reason why bought tbh, from UK

The camera connects but intermittently.
The scratches when he said you couldn't see them without magnifying glass was the main reason.

But, then finding 94k shutter releases, no replies to last message & not displaying images when asked has me thinking negative now.

Let's see...

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:27 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

Clearly the seller wasn't truthful in their description. So I would certainly say you have a case to get your money back (I presume this is what you want to do).

I tend to avoid buying and selling any photographic equipment on eBay since I'm very weary of who's buyings the item or who I'm buying the item from.

But I suspect that eBay would side with you should the seller choose not to respond to your message and you file a claim.

-Nick

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:52 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

there is no reliable way to determine shutter actuations on a 40D (only with 1D series & Canon software program)
you have to trust the owner on that one

Edited on Aug 03, 2012 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

The scratches are actually on the LCD cover, not the LCD. It's a bit of a PITA to change yourself--takes 30 minutes and a suction cup--but the new cover is only $15USD. I'm guessing it's a little more expensive across the pond.

I owned a 40D and was never able to get any of the shutter count apps to work. Of course that was 3 or 4 years ago and maybe the code has improved. But then a camera from 2007/2008 is bound to have more than a few clicks...

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:08 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

How much did you pay?

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WannaTakePix

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

Sneakyracer wrote:
How much did you pay?

£232

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:19 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

Honestly these sound like concerns that you should have checked out before buying. Two people aren't going to rate the same item's condition the identically, so you should always rely on photos of the actual items. Regarding the computer connection, if you are just doing so to download photos, invest in a card reader instead.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

dfresh wrote:
Regarding the computer connection, if you are just doing so to download photos, invest in a card reader instead.

+1

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:08 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

if it wasn't as described send it back, simple as that. why even waste your time making compromises? would you have bought it if they said there were large scratches on the screen?

the actuations are inadmissable

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:26 PM
rtread
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

Do you still have records (email, messages) of the seller telling you there were no scratches on the LCD? I Honestly think you have a valid claim. I wouldn't purchase any photography equipment on ebay. I do most of my buying/trading here on FM. But, even here things can go wrong. My latest trade was for a 5d. Turns out the shutter is starting to fail. the seller is making it right, just has been extreamely slow about it!

I hope you get things worked out!

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:20 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

I've bought a lot of used manual lenses off the bay, the only times I've got a bad one is when the pictures are not that great and I don't ask for better pics or ask questions.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:35 AM
WannaTakePix

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

goosemang wrote:
if it wasn't as described send it back, simple as that. why even waste your time making compromises? would you have bought it if they said there were large scratches on the screen?

the actuations are inadmissable

No I wouldn't have...

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:43 AM
WannaTakePix

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

rtread wrote:
Do you still have records (email, messages) of the seller telling you there were no scratches on the LCD? I Honestly think you have a valid claim. I wouldn't purchase any photography equipment on ebay. I do most of my buying/trading here on FM. But, even here things can go wrong. My latest trade was for a 5d. Turns out the shutter is starting to fail. the seller is making it right, just has been extreamely slow about it!

I hope you get things worked out!

Yes, all correspondence was done through ebay, so ebay can see the conversations we've had & his failure to respond too.

I asked if there were any scratches on the LCDs and asked for actual pictures.
No pictures were posted and his response was "the camera is not mint, but there are no visible scratches on the LCDs only visible if looking through a magnifying glass"
There are 4 clear scratches on the LCD easily visible with the naked eye, no magnifying equipment needed.

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:49 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

Perhaps the seller has poor eyesight...

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:35 AM
Cinch

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Purchaesed Used 40D problem

If you get no love from the seller, open a case. I've had to do it before and it's really a simple, painless process. Had a full refund in a week or so...

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password