Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mountain in the Clouds

Camperjim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mountain in the Clouds

This is another cloudy sunset image from Glacier national park. That evening was spectacular so I have no objectivity about how well the image works for someone else. The As Shot white balance was very warm with a slight greenish tint. I moved the colors towards magenta which is the way I remember it. I might have overdone it, but every time I try warmer more yellowish colors, I seem to prefer the magenta. Let me know if that seems too much and of course if there are any other changes that would improve the image.

Thanks, Jim

Sunset at Glacier

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mountain in the Clouds

Hi Jim. Love the scene, and the colors work ok for me. The extreme dark lower left and to a lesser degree upper left nags me a bit to think about a crop.

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:59 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mountain in the Clouds

Beyond the white balance, about all I did to this image was to use the burn tool to darken the bottom and top and very slightly on the sides to provide a vignette or border. It seems like my "enhancement" is the part that does not work for you.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mountain in the Clouds

Camperjim wrote:
Beyond the white balance, about all I did to this image was to use the burn tool to darken the bottom and top and very slightly on the sides to provide a vignette or border. It seems like my "enhancement" is the part that does not work for you.

As you say, a matter of taste. I am not a fan of vignette I work to eliminate it in the taking and never add it.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mountain in the Clouds

I recently viewed the BH event video from Moose Peterson. He typically adds lots of blacks in his images to help add some mood and interest.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mountain in the Clouds

Yep, I am going against the grain.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mountain in the Clouds

Me? I like it just as is, slight vignette and all. Colors are fine, I just wish the mountain was a teensy bit sharper.

Jo

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:23 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mountain in the Clouds

Ben, we are just a couple of old fashioned dinosaurs. I know your goal is through-the-picture-window clarity and realism. I rarely do much except very basic processing. I just looked at the current edition of Outdoor Photographer magazine. They presented the winners and mentions for the 2012 landscape competition. The winning image was actually a fairly natural looking landscape of the tetons with great spring flowers in the foreground. Almost all the other images were highly processed with colors that would only be realistic on another planet in the solar system or beyond. I don't think I aspire to reach that level of pumped up processing, but I do want to learn how to bring back the impact that I remember when viewing the scene. I think I will reprocess this image and see if I even have the skills to add a bit more pop.

Jo, I don't think I sharpened this at all. In any case there is considerable potential to bring more attention to the mountains. I was actually thinking of going the other direction; i.e., darkening the mountains and placing more emphasis on the clouds.

Edited on Aug 02, 2012 at 09:55 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mountain in the Clouds

I am posting another version of this image. I remember an impressive scene with clouds swirling around the mountain top and sunset colors. Hopefully this second version has a bit more pop and comes closer to what I remember.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mountain in the Clouds

Hi Jim, I do like this better.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:54 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mountain in the Clouds

More pop which I like, and now I dont like the vignette in the LLC. I agree many landscapes these days, especially on the landscape forum, gravitate towards super-saturation.
Like Jo, I think you need to do some sharpening of the mountain. Especially since it is dead center and the eye is brought there, framed beautifully by the soft clouds and gentle colors.
Scott

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:06 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mountain in the Clouds

Jim, I felt just like you when reading the last issue of OP. I submitted two images to that Competition, I knew I had no chance, seeing the winner confirmed why. Too much processing.

I like your second version better, but might consider cropping some of the top and some of the bottom and going to a more panoramic aspect. The clouds at the top have nice color, but not much texture, especially on the the left side. But that is just my take on it.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password