Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The Look

Photo GeekMan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Look

C&C would be very welcome. This is a new B&W process for me and I'd love some feedback.

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Look

I am a bit torn about the processing. I like the richly detailed, textured look which gives an immediacy to portraits, and his skin and beard offer lots of interesting detail. But at some point, not sure where, it can feel too much. I think you are on the right side of the spectrum, but its a matter of taste.
Couple other things about the comp. I think you have a bit too much on the right. There is something awkward about his right arm position or its appearance, perhaps influenced by the hole in the chair behind him. I also wonder if you should preserve a bit more of the effect over the shirt and possible the chairback, which looks quite smooth. The whitish background is interesting, non-distracting, and adds depth.

Scott

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:14 AM
Photo GeekMan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Look

Thank you Scott, I appreciate the feedback. I agree about the processing of the shirt, I probably should have left it a little more "gritty" and not dialed back so much. I'll look out for that next time I do this process. I also couldn't find a crop that I liked more than the full shot, but I'm still not happy with the framing. I'm just beginning to learn how to photograph people so I can only hope to get better with more practice. And since this was a candid shot taken on the fly at a party, I didn't think to ask the guy to strike a better pose. That's another thing I'll have to remember for next time.
Thanks!

Aug 03, 2012 at 02:53 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password