Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2012 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim McCann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

So Canon didn't tell me when my 500 was shipping back to me, so I got hold of them. Turns out my lens arrived at FedEx 1:30 pm today, so I went and picked it up just a short time ago. I expected to see it glow, and maybe rainbows and butterflies to surround the lens upon opening the case, but it was just my lens. Slapped a 7D on it and scared myself to death 'cause it wouldn't focus. I went into a state of panic, and don't know what I did right or wrong, but it now focuses. Of course, looking at the LCD I thought the images looked soft, but I'll do some shooting with it later, at home, and not in a brightly lit parking lot! Some of this stuff drives me crazy.

Jim

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:03 AM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Yikes Jim!

Aug 09, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Gust
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

John--G wrote:
Same here. I used my new 400 with a MkIV in the spring for soccer and it worked fine. I have field hockey and soccer starting in two weeks and will be using the lens with a MkIV and 1D-X.

Debating whether to risk sending it in.

Doing motorsports and on my 2 MKIV's, the new 400 was/is fantastic.
with the X 2 weeks ago, its was a terrible. lots of oof, not sharp, the AF failed completely sometimes. I went to cps with my lens and X and there nothing could be found.
so, I pretty sure something is really wrong.

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:48 PM
John--G
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Gust wrote:
Doing motorsports and on my 2 MKIV's, the new 400 was/is fantastic.
with the X 2 weeks ago, its was a terrible. lots of oof, not sharp, the AF failed completely sometimes. I went to cps with my lens and X and there nothing could be found.
so, I pretty sure something is really wrong.

Ok... so this is what worries me the most. I purchased my 400 in the spring and used it all during soccer and lacrosse season with my two MkIVs. It worked flawlessly. I just purchased a 1D-X but since it's summer there isn't anything going on so I haven't had a chance to try it with the 400 on other than static objects. I did try the 1D-X at a swim meet with the 70-200/2.8IS II and the AF was scary fast and accurate.

Since this FW update wasn't released until the 1D-X started to ship in quantities it seems reasonable to assume it mostly applies to the 1D-X / 400 combo.

My concern is, if I get the FW updated will it effect the MkIV interoperability? I have soccer and field hockey starting soon and I can't afford to screw myself up.

Given that I still intend to use my MkIV's for field sports I'm almost tempted to hold off and ride out the fall season as is. If additional reports come in indicating all is well with the update I can always still send it in once the fall season has ended.

I sure wish they would have simply allowed for the lens FW to be updated via the camera body and then we wouldn't have this mess.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:57 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

As I said above its MORE than just a simple update.
From speaking directly with the tech it involves several steps including a recal.
So in camera update is out of the question.
Ps my 1Dx's worked beautifully with my 400II..
After the update I really don't see a change but I havn't been shooting particularly hard targets..

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:12 AM
Gust
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

dehowie wrote:
As I said above its MORE than just a simple update.
From speaking directly with the tech it involves several steps including a recal.
So in camera update is out of the question.
Ps my 1Dx's worked beautifully with my 400II..
After the update I really don't see a change but I havn't been shooting particularly hard targets..

worked beautiful! on moving targets?

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:13 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Sent mine in on Monday and it's on the FedEx truck now for delivery back to me, CPS gold. Will finally get to try the 1DX and 300 2.8 MKII on a HS soccer scrimmage tomorrow afternoon, can't wait.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:57 PM
fisherman_188

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

For anyone wondering, my Canon 600m Mk II (that arrived today) got to a Canadian store less than 2 weeks ago and already has the updated firmware. Well at least the 3rd digit in my serial number is a 1 so it should be updated . So for anyone getting one soon, you shouldn't need to send it it to be updated.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:52 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

My 500 arrived last Thur with the new firmware installed ~ Ron

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

There's definitely more than just software involved if the smell of mine when I opened it was any indication. It smelled VERY strongly of an adhesive - possibly from reglueing rubber after opening it up, I was told. Mine is acting like a very different lens. My only concern at the moment is that initial acquisition seemed noticeably slower this morning. It used to snap, now it seems to glide. I turned off IS and it seemed better, which makes no sense. However, conditions today weren't ideal, it was a 7 am football practice, and I am not a morning person, particularly when tired and under-caffeinated. Plan to give it an intense workout next week and if it still seems odd, I'll send it back in.

Someone asked about the 1Dx. It plays extremely well with the 400 II!

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

speedmaster20d
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

There is no calibration for the 600 at least. The CPS paperwork clearly indicates software update. I sent my lens with lens coat on and I can tell the lens coat has not been removed.

There is no difference in performance for 600 either, it was perfect and it remains so.

I think the FLASH memory used in the lens logic board requires high voltage for programming, it needs a special mount hence factory update.

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:00 AM
Jim McCann
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Ms. Kolt,

I only had my new 500 for a very short time and during a stretch of rainy days so I didn't do a lot of shooting with it before having to send it back to Canon for the firmware deal. But mine seemed to be snappier earlier on as yours did, and your description of the lens gliding into focus now is a good one. I only really noticed last evening during the last few minutes of sunlight as I photographed a field of sandhill cranes. Might have been the low light, or maybe my slow finger on the shutter button? I'm going to go back out this evening if I can and pay closer attention.

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim, it's definitely not your finger. I've used the 400 quite a bit since last fall, so I'm very used to the way it acted pre-update. I only had it out once or twice with the 1Dx, and that was baseball where I'm constantly ducking to avoid being hit, but I'm sure it was snapping into focus in the same way. This morning it was dark, raining and kind of hazy, which is why I'm willing to work with it for a while before assuming there is an issue. On the positive side, less snap probably means less wear and tear on parts.

I spoke to John at CPS who said so few people have had it done and returned, that they haven't had any issues reported. They also don't have details from the techs yet on what actually is being done to it. My paperwork does specify calibration was done as well as "lens firmware was updated," "product functions were confirmed" and "other inspection and cleaning were also carried out."

I need to leave the case open to air out and get rid of the rubber cement smell. It's giving me a buzz! If not an adhesive, maybe it is something they used to clean the rubber trim? The lens was noticeably cleaner when I pulled it out.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:11 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Deborah Kolt wrote:
Mine is acting like a very different lens. My only concern at the moment is that initial acquisition seemed noticeably slower this morning. It used to snap, now it seems to glide.

Now, that sounds promising. A few months ago I sent Canon my input on their MkII lens AF drive tuning. Perhaps someone might have read it.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:22 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

So you're responsible for the change, eh? And this is an improvement?

EDIT: Just to be clear, the "eh" was not a Canadian reference. Granddad was from Nova Scotia, and I grew up in Michigan, so my linguistic habits are a bizarre mix.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:39 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

The only one I know of who had some difficulty with the subject of MkII AF response was B.Carnathan of TDP. He apparently contacted Canon as well on it.
The rest of early MkII owners were singing praises to their lens AF response.

Be that as it may, before I have my MkII lenses updated to the new firmware, I will not know if the new firmware addresses my concerns or not.

It is also possible that Canon is now fixing something totally unrelated.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:57 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Personally, I liked the snappiness - it seemed to focus even before I was aware of having moved my finger and it was very clear that it had engaged. The new action is much more subtle and will take some getting used to. It's hard to judge in two outings, but tracking of lateral action does seem smoother. But that could also be in part function of the more sophisticated controls on the 1Dx.

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:19 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Deborah Kolt wrote:
Personally, I liked the snappiness - it seemed to focus even before I was aware of having moved my finger and it was very clear that it had engaged. The new action is much more subtle and will take some getting used to. It's hard to judge in two outings, but tracking of lateral action does seem smoother. But that could also be in part function of the more sophisticated controls on the 1Dx.

You see, "snapping into" focus is a good thing. It is "snapping out of" focus which is (was?) the problematic part. Like with any control process, if it is accelerated too much, it might become unstable.
I have never seen lenses that focus better with 1.4XTC then when bare.......that is, until the MkIIs came along.

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:27 AM
Jim McCann
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Just got back from spending an hour photographing sandhill cranes. They are arriving daily from their summer breeding grounds and using a barley field a few miles from the house. I put a 7D on the 500 MkII tonight 'cause they are staying out away quite a bit. It appears I got some nice relatively sharp images and I don't think the AF did any gliding tonight, but sometimes it wasn't at all snappy. But then perhaps it just wasn't acquiring proper focus. Afterall, these are gray and brown birds with small heads that are always moving. Perhaps not enough contrast to snap into focus. Got a couple of the birds flying as well. I'll try and do some work in LR if I get the chance, but I think the lens is doing what I need it to do. Of course, I'm easy to please!

Jim

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:10 AM
Gust
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

PetKal wrote:
The only one I know of who had some difficulty with the subject of MkII AF response was B.Carnathan of TDP. He apparently contacted Canon as well on it.
The rest of early MkII owners were singing praises to their lens AF response.

Be that as it may, before I have my MkII lenses updated to the new firmware, I will not know if the new firmware addresses my concerns or not.

It is also possible that Canon is now fixing something totally unrelated.

The first motorsportsshoot a few weeks ago with the new X and my 400MKII, was very disappointed.
after the first run, I started sweating and said to myself: oh no!
after analysing the 700 raw images the next day, having contact with cps, I went to them.
CPS tested about half a day, a special technic man came especially over [ about 30 min driving] and the conclusion was after lots of coffee: nothing wrong, but try other cases with several different presets.
so back home the testing began again, till the news of the new firmware came out.
next week I will drive again to cps.
my thoughts are with all the Canon ambassadors and testers who worked with this combo, before the lower-class people have to try: didn't you noticed this? Where are the experts?
after half a day, my experience said, something is not so how it should be.
don't understand that.

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:13 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password