Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim McCann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Well, I just got my FedEx labels via e-mail. Even though the update is problematic you gotta love CPS!

Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

surfnron wrote:
As I was reading this post, the doorbell rang. It was UPS delivering my 500. The first thing I did was check the serial number, and I'm "safe"... ~ Ron

Ron, where are the unboxing pictures, dammit ?
Congratulations.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:22 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

netexpress wrote:
Seriously? CPS says this is an "optional update?"

Upgrading from my version I superteles to the version II superteles at a cost of around $40K was an "optional update." Once Canon took my $40K I don't think fixing broken firmware on the version II should be considered optional. Do you? And aren't all these lenses still under Canon's warranty?

It is surreal that they would resort to semantic games.

+1

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:40 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

PetKal wrote:
Ron, where are the unboxing pictures, dammit ?
Congratulations.

You may have time to take pictures, but I used an axe to get the box open as quick as possible. Boy would I have been pissed if mine needed the update... I'm only an hour from the Newport News facility, but they don't have a counter. Some have been able to talk their way in, but I had no luck when I wanted to get my 7D checked out ~ Ron

Edit to add that I was planning to take the new lens for a spin this afternoon, but we are having thunderstorms, and there is no light, but the rain is heavy at the moment...

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

surfnron wrote:
You may have time to take pictures, but I used an axe to get the box open as quick as possible. :

I am sure the new case can take an axe hit without even denting.
The lens feels light, eh ?

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:03 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

PetKal wrote:

I am sure the new case can take an axe hit without even denting.
The lens feels light, eh ?

About the same as my 500 F4.5L non is - which is good.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:12 PM
Jim McCann
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Ahhh, the saga continues! So I get the FedEx labels via e-mail. Everything is working out. Then I discover we no longer have a FedEx office in Fairbanks, Alaska. So I call CPS back and a gentleman tells me CPS Gold members don't get the free shipping but...well, they'll just give it to me anyway since they had already sent the FedEx labels. And then I'm told they can't/won't send it via UPS. It would have to go by US Mail which would take a really long time to and from.

I politely told the nice man to mark me down as a unhappy customer and I won't be shipping my lens back to them...at least not until I cool off. Not a happy camper right now. No longer just grumbling.

Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:02 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim McCann wrote:
Ahhh, the saga continues! So I get the FedEx labels via e-mail. Everything is working out. Then I discover we no longer have a FedEx office in Fairbanks, Alaska. So I call CPS back and a gentleman tells me CPS Gold members don't get the free shipping but...well, they'll just give it to me anyway since they had already sent the FedEx labels. And then I'm told they can't/won't send it via UPS. It would have to go by US Mail which would take a really long time to and from.

I politely told the nice man to mark
...Show more

FedEx is closing down our FedEx station too which is in the primary hub of high tech distribution in a move they expect will save them money. Now drivers have to cover the territory from either San Jose or Oakland - many miles and hours of traffic jambs apart. And you're telling me they closed all the FedEx stations in Fairbanks? Mamma Mia!

Jim you already have the FedEx labels, correct? Do me a favor and call FedEx (800)238-5355 and tell them you have a package with a FedEx will call tag and ask them if you can schedule a pickup. Even if they don't have a station there they may do it for a nominal pickup fee like $5 or $10 max. Sometimes they'll do this even if they have to drive outrageous distances to pick something up.

No way I would ship this lens via USPS. Not going to happen.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:40 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

surfnron wrote:
About the same as my 500 F4.5L non is - which is good.

Ron welcome to the 500 club!

Oh wait - I think that name has been taken.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim, that's a bummer.

Let me give you a cheery piece of news: my 800L as well as 200 f/2 IS work perfect on 1DX, with no IS anomalies, thus the lenses do not have to be sent to Canon for the recall work.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

If by a miracle I ever get one of the affected mk II lenses, I am located approximately 200m from the main Canon Australia service centre, so at least I'll save on shipping

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:57 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
If by a miracle I ever get one of the affected mk II lenses, I am located approximately 200m from the main Canon Australia service centre, so at least I'll save on shipping

Pixie, how are the Aussie roads these days ?

Edited on Aug 03, 2012 at 09:22 AM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Jim McCann
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

I think I need a drink. Actually, just leave the bottle of bourbon on the table! Got a call from FedEx after my sending them an e-mail notifying them I would not be using the labels sent to me by Canon. Well, seems they opened a little office here in Fairbanks, at the end of the road in America, and I'll be sending the camera in to Canon tomorrow.

Wild. Crazy. No more posts by me today. I won't be able to see the keyboard in an hour anyway!

Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:08 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim McCann wrote:
I think I need a drink. Actually, just leave the bottle of bourbon on the table! Got a call from FedEx after my sending them an e-mail notifying them I would not be using the labels sent to me by Canon. Well, seems they opened a little office here in Fairbanks, at the end of the road in America, and I'll be sending the camera in to Canon tomorrow.

Wild. Crazy. No more posts by me today. I won't be able to see the keyboard in an hour anyway!

Jim

I like a happy ending - I'll drink to that!

Cheers! Skål! Salute! Budem zdorovy!

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:24 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

As I was suggesting to Roland a couple of weeks ago to check his lenses' servo AF performance, as even at that time I could smell the recall.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:32 PM
vivisha
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

netexpress wrote:
It may be time for a road trip to Irvine.

If you take that road trip, don't forget to bring your 600 so I can buy it

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:32 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

PetKal wrote:
As I was suggesting to Roland a couple of weeks ago to check his lenses' servo AF performance, as even at that time I could smell the recall.

With the 1D X did you try testing the AF set to "Mode 5" using nine points only? That seemed to be working OK for me. But 61 pts in mode 5 wasn't.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:45 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

vivisha wrote:
If you take that road trip, don't forget to bring your 600 so I can buy it

Man I've got all these people wanting to buy it from the East Coast and S. Cal. Here I am in the SF Bay Area with 7.15 million people within 20 mins of me and I can't find a local to buy it? I dunno maybe I should take a trip back to Santa Barbara and try to sell it down there. I had some good times in Santa Barbara before I moved up North. A lot of good photogs down there for sure.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:53 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

netexpress wrote:
With the 1D X did you try testing the AF set to "Mode 5" using nine points only? That seemed to be working OK for me. But 61 pts in mode 5 wasn't.

Haven't had a chance to check multiple AF point tracking beyond the Zone AF mode.
My main interest has been preselected single AF pt. with expansion. I think I have a pretty good feel for tracking sensitivity and AF pt. switching speed parameters.
However, I haven't made much progress with the accel/decel tracking parameter since my test targets for that are not readily available these days.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Too funny. I guess that is what happens to eager-beaver buyers rushing out to buy the latest el-cheapo lenses.

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password