Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

I wonder if Robert could tell us if lens firmware can be updated from a Canon body. And if so since it is extremely expensive and risky to ship these lenses why Canon can't roll out these upgrades at all Canon certified resellers. If this could be done on an "out patient" basis by your local camera store wouldn't everyone here be happier?

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:30 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Don't worry too much Roland, it's just an optional enhancement that you do not have to get done. I betcha a nickel to a doughnut that 99% users would never know the difference.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:40 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

With my Hasselblad lenses if I need the firmware updated I don't need to trouble myself with shipping them in to Hasselblad. I can take them to my local certified Hasselblad reseller and Hasselblad sends them all the latest firmware and a PDF on how to flash the lens and they stick the lens on a body and load the firmware on a compact flash card. Stick the card in a body - hold down the secret buttons and flash the lens. They do this because they know these are expensive professional products that are best not shipped back and forth to Hasselblad for routine firmware updates and they look out for their customers. These Canon version II superteles cost more than Hasselblad lenses. I would seriously doubt that the firmware upgrade requires a lens dis-assembly. I don't know but I'd imagine they just flash these lenses via a camera body like Hasselblad does. So why not send the firmware update to their certified resellers and have this done in the field?

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:49 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

PetKal wrote:
Don't worry too much Roland, it's just an optional enhancement that you do not have to get done. I betcha a nickel to a doughnut that 99% users would never know the difference.

Yes, but once a day Peter I like to find one injustice somewhere on the Internet, spit out my coffee all over my computer screen, scream bloody murder and get my diastolic pressure up to a one handle.

After that the rest of the day is pretty much downhill.

Oh, the huge-manatee!

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:56 PM
WebDog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

netexpress wrote:
After that the rest of the day is pretty much downhill.

How true!!!

Guess a number of the working pros using super-teles can get the upgrade done at venues like Olympics in London... it seems like a popular place to be for the techs at Canon

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

My experience was different, but maybe because I'm a Platinum member and they always pay shipping both ways. They sent me the usual CPS FedEx label and said the usual turn around applies. I specifically asked about that because I need it next week to shoot some pre-season football practices.

They sent a label for the 200 f2 fix at the same time.

Platinum membership is a no-brainer for anyone with super teles. It quickly pays for itself just in FedEx fees. Add in the 60% discount on repairs, and it's actually a bargain.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:04 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Deborah Kolt wrote:
My experience was different, but maybe because I'm a Platinum member and they always pay shipping both ways. They sent me the usual CPS FedEx label and said the usual turn around applies. I specifically asked about that because I need it next week to shoot some pre-season football practices.

They sent a label for the 200 f2 fix at the same time.

Platinum membership is a no-brainer for anyone with super teles. It quickly pays for itself just in FedEx fees. Add in the 60% discount on repairs, and it's actually a bargain.

Deborah what you are saying makes too much sense. Please you are interrupting my diatribe!

With Gold I think they just send UPS ground label - yuck. For Platnum what FedEx service do they pay for to send in the lens? Ground? Overnight?

This will cost more than $500 in shipping for me for all four lenses so it would pay for Platnum for the year in one shot. Hmmm...

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

netexpress wrote:
Deborah what you are saying makes too much sense. Please you are interrupting my diatribe!

With Gold I think they just send UPS ground label - yuck. For Platnum what FedEx service do they use for return shipping? Ground? Overnight?

This will cost more than $500 in shipping for me for all four lenses so it would pay for Platnum for the year in one shot. Hmmm...

Sorry to interrupt just as you were getting worked up into a good fury!
. To be clear, I did not call CPS, just the Call Center. She confirmed my CPS status and sent me the usual CPS labels. But they were clearly scrambling to catch up - she had just signed in and hadn't heard about it when she picked up my call. As a result, she was off line a bit checking on the details.

Platinum shipping both ways is FedEx Express service. And most repairs I have sent in were done and sent back the same day they received it. It's the primary reason I went Platinum: I had sent in a 400 via FedEx before. Once you add insurance and the weight of the case (the first time I shipped a 400, they said to be sure to send it in the hard case to protect it), it's a bit pricey.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:19 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Deborah Kolt wrote:
Sorry to interrupt just as you were getting worked up into a good fury!
. To be clear, I did not call CPS, just the Call Center. She confirmed my CPS status and sent me the usual CPS labels. But they were clearly scrambling to catch up - she had just signed in and hadn't heard about it when she picked up my call. As a result, she was off line a bit checking on the details.

Platinum shipping both ways is FedEx Express service. And most repairs I have sent in were done and sent back the same day
...Show more

Deborah, may I ask since you are a pro at this - how do you pack your lens in the hard case? Do you reuse the original Canon box? Just grab a box off the shelf? Use bubble wrap? Double box?

Thanks for all your advice.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:24 PM
Arun Gupta
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

I suppose these firmware updates would improve the performance of the superteles on tests like those of Roger Cicala? i.e., the series of posts whose last one is
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

I haul the case into a packaging store and buy a heavy duty box that is a good fit. If there is extra space, I stuff that with that quilted paper Canon uses to pack cameras and lenses. (i hoard that stuff.) Air bags or bubble wrap if I'm out of the paper.

I've been told NOT to use the original box; probably because it says "huge Canon lens" all over it. It's like asking someone to steal it. (BTW, I bought the 400 Version II from Samys, and noticed that they double boxed it. Probably for much the same reason.) Oh, and I usually stick a small air bag or two over the lens inside the case, to insure to doesn't move.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Jim McCann
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Roland,

I heard your hollering all the way up here in Alaska! I'm just a grumbler, so nothing really loud from me, but the radio was reporting the possibility of a small earthquake due to my grumbling! The fellow I spoke with at Canon did say all this just hit them as well, so maybe what I got ref CPS membership not making a difference is wrong? I think I'll get hold of CPS and see what they have to say. This really is getting into my busy wildlife season and I don't want to send off a brand new much needed $11,000 lens just yet.

I'm going to bet along with Peter and just sit tight on all this for a while. Either way I get either a dollar or a donut, so that's pretty good in my world. After buying that lens I don't have as many dollars laying about, and a donut would do well with my coffee.

Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:46 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Deborah Kolt wrote:
I haul the case into a packaging store and buy a heavy duty box that is a good fit. If there is extra space, I stuff that with that quilted paper Canon uses to pack cameras and lenses. (i hoard that stuff.) Air bags or bubble wrap if I'm out of the paper.

I've been told NOT to use the original box; probably because it says "huge Canon lens" all over it. It's like asking someone to steal it. (BTW, I bought the 400 Version II from Samys, and noticed that they double boxed it. Probably for much the
...Show more

OK that's much the same way I do it but I always use several layers of bubble wrap around the outside of the hard case. Good to know! I didn't think about the air big inside the case though. That is an excellent tip! Thanks so much!

Now the logical half of my brain just has to talk the cheapskate half of my brain into paying for Platnum!

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

It doesn't sound like a voluntary upgrade if you make a living shooting sports like rugby and soccer.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:49 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim McCann wrote:
Roland,

I heard your hollering all the way up here in Alaska! I'm just a grumbler, so nothing really loud from me, but the radio was reporting the possibility of a small earthquake due to my grumbling! The fellow I spoke with at Canon did say all this just hit them as well, so maybe what I got ref CPS membership not making a difference is wrong? I think I'll get hold of CPS and see what they have to say. This really is getting into my busy wildlife season and I don't want to send off a brand new
...Show more

Yeah I'm just wondering if I should do it now because my 300 and 400 are still under warranty for 29 more days. I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:51 PM
gowhow
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

netexpress wrote:
I wonder if Robert could tell us if lens firmware can be updated from a Canon body. And if so since it is extremely expensive and risky to ship these lenses why Canon can't roll out these upgrades at all Canon certified resellers. If this could be done on an "out patient" basis by your local camera store wouldn't everyone here be happier?

I was thinking this too. I've only had my 400 for a few days and haven't even gone on a shoot with it yet...I've checked the serial and third digit is 2

As Peter mentioned though, I'm likely in the 99% that wouldn't notice a difference.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:54 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

I think I have always ended up with something all around it. And remind your cheapskate half with Platinum you will get not only FedEx, but more clean and checks and pay less for repairs. Plus, didn't someone say if you upgrade, you get the new enrollee box of goodies? There has got to be a bag or two in that deal,

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:54 PM
Jim McCann
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Okay boys and girls. I just got off the phone with a wonderful lady at CPS. She says this all very new to them as well, but after a long and pleasant conversation she was going to e-mail me a FedEx label and Canon will pay to and from Irvine, in my case. She, like the rest of us, felt that after spending such a large amount of money on a new lens, and being a CPS Gold member, would justify Canon paying the way. Now, this isn't a done deal yet. Not until I actually recieve the FedEx label. If some Canon supervisor changes this, I'll let you know.

Interestingly, this lady said I was the first one to call on the matter.

Stay tuned.

Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:08 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

As I was reading this post, the doorbell rang. It was UPS delivering my 500. The first thing I did was check the serial number, and I'm "safe"... ~ Ron

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:08 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Firmware upgrade for 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II

Jim McCann wrote:
Okay boys and girls. I just got off the phone with a wonderful lady at CPS. She says this all very new to them as well, but after a long and pleasant conversation she was going to e-mail me a FedEx label and Canon will pay to and from Irvine, in my case. She, like the rest of us, felt that after spending such a large amount of money on a new lens, and being a CPS Gold member, would justify Canon paying the way. Now, this isn't a done deal yet. Not until I actually recieve the FedEx
...Show more

Jim, that makes sense. I do not think Canon will start to nickel-and-dime now their very best customers.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password