Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tablet help

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Tablet help

I'm thinking about using a tablet for sharing photos with family and friends. It would be a lot easier than carrying 11 x 14 prints around. I know nothing about tablets.
If I load photos on one can they be organized on the tablet or do I have to put them in different folders (bears, wolves, eagles, etc.) before they are loaded on a tablet.
Next question which tablet to buy. The ASUS Transformer Prime looks pretty good.
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Keep it simple, I'm an old guy and computer illiterate

Rod

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:45 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · Tablet help

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 which I absolutely love to use for a lot of things, picture displays included.

There are "apps" that you can use to organize photos, or any other file type for that matter, based on which tablet platform you use (Apple's ios, Android and so on). Most tablets will come with at least a photo viewer app already installed.

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Tablet help

The iPad has the best apps, period. If you're looking to only do showing off than any tablet will do. I am using an HP Touchpad that's running essentially stock Android 4.0.4, but if I could switch to an iPad I would, just for the better tablet apps, as table apps on Android are nowhere near as numerous, and not nearly as polished either. I do like my tablet a lot, but Android has a bigger learning curve than iOS, so I'd go for an iPad. If you can swing the new iPad, it's absolutely brilliant for showing photos due to its ultra-high res screen. If you want to save a little money for a lower res screen, then the iPad 2 is something to look at.

If you are used to Android, I'd honestly get the new Nexus 7. It's smaller at 7 inches, but runs stock Jelly Bean (Android 4.1), has a very high res screen and is only $199. If I were buying right now, I know I would have the Nexus 7 and new iPad as my only two choices, with the nod going to whichever is your preferred form factor or fits your budget.

Aug 03, 2012 at 05:11 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #4 · Tablet help

I have the asus (pre-prime, tf101) with dock and I love the thing. built in sd, micro sd, USB (real ones) and the battery is insane.

I've never owned an ipad, so I can't comment on that.

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:36 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Tablet help

I have an iPad 3 and had an iPad 2 previous (don't ask ) and I've just bought my daughter a xoom2 .

As far as I can see the iPad is made for photos much more than the android tablet.

As far as the iPad 3 screen being better than the iPad 2 , well yes it is but it's not a night and day thing. I gave the iPad 2 to my mum and when I was setting it up for her I had both iPads next to each other . I installed the same image from the same source. And yes you could see a slight difference the difference was not huge. If you had the pad2 on its own you defiantly would not say the image is crap.

Now I'm not saying the iPad won't annoy the heck out of you because it does annoy me . It just fails to do those little things that would make it complete when it comes to photo stuff.
The iPhoto app is an almost must. What it does well it does really well. But the fact it won't export more than one image back to the camera roll or you can't create folders withing iPhoto WILL annoy you. But it's still better than most of the other apps I've found..

The camera connection kit is a must have. Easiest way to get images onto the iPad is via the connection kit. I've found that rather than using iTunes to transfer images onto the pad the connection kit works best. It's easy to transfer images onto an SD card from the pc . But you do have to make sure you do it correctly .
1. The card must be formatted in a camera ( just about any camera will do)
2. The images have to go in the DCIM folder (anything outside won't be be seen)
3. It's best not to mess around with file names at all. The file name has to be 8 digits .

RAW . While the iPad does take raw files , they are really a pointless exercise . They just take up too much precious space. And the pad is really just seeing the baked in jpeg anyway. There is a raw converter available for the iPad but it's slooooooooooow .

iOS v android . Well I don't want to get into it but using both the iPad and the xoom2 (plus I've used other android tabs) I will say that iOS just works . I can't say the same for android. (when it works it's great , but there are too many times when you find stuff that won't function on this device or that device) .
My guess is that large tablet (ie iPad or any of the android 10" ) the iPad wins. Android seems to be better in the small tab 7" type . Probably why the kindle fire and new nexus are great.

Downsides to the ipad3 (comming from the ipad2)
Battery. Even though they put more battery in the 3 and it's noticably more heavy I find the battery drains much quicker. It's all those extra pixels. And I don't have the screen brightness up full)
Also the battery takes much longer to charge. And it really does need the higher power charger . I have an iPod dock for which I got an extension cable (so the iPad is effectively docked) . And while te ipad2 said it was not charging it would play a movie or iplayer program and also charge itself a little bit. But the iPad 3 looses charge.

It also gets hot. . Never noticed it with te 2 but some apps can make the base of the pad very warm.

Also lack of expandable storage is an issue. But I see most new android tabs don't have the SD slots that they had a while back. Yes we live in a cloud now and we are supposed to be able to get to ALL of our data from whoever we are. But as far as I can see its all a lie.
Example . My daughters xoom2 is only 16gig but comes with an app called moto cast which allows you to stream all your media from the host pc onto the tablet where ever you are . Sounds great, but it does not work . Even within our home network it can't stream a movie unless its so low res that's not worth watching anyway.
Cloud probably works in the places where you have great fast 4G (or whatever it's called) but when you data is slow and expensive it's not an option.

By the way I love my IPAD

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Tablet help

Wow Ian. Good write up and I would not have believed you had an iPad. I have the new iPad and before I had the original. If you look at the 2 and the new side by side the screen is a lot brighter and sharper on the new. Looking at them individually then the 2 is actually not bad. You can still but the 2 but wireless only and 16gb storage.

Having said that I also use Macs all the time. Having Macs then you can use the iCloud which works well. 25GB free storage. That way you can continually sync your files so that you can work on an image on your desktop and the image will show on the iPad.

I have not used it with iTunes on Windows but I assume that you can store images in iTunes and get the same with the images and the use of the Cloud. Lots of people hate iTunes but it is not bad.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #7 · Tablet help

Jman13 wrote:
The iPad has the best apps, period.

Aah, the absolutism of a fanboi... Just what we need, a religious war on Android vs. iOS. To some the flexibility of Android far outweighs the aesthetics of iOS (simplistics, as they would say). To others the simplicity of iOS is far more valuable.

To the OP - decide whether you are a tweaker or not at heart, go with whatever your heart tells you. As for a tablet being easier than carrying 11x14's around - perhaps, but not really as impactful. There is just SOMETHING about the lack of transiency of a paper print that makes it so much more pleasant to view. I am no technophobe, sitting in front of TWO 27" IPS monitors right now, with two iPads and a Nexus 7 in the house (don't ask), and I would still rather view an 11x14 print.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:18 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #8 · Tablet help

GroovyGeek wrote:
Aah, the absolutism of a fanboi... Just what we need, a religious war on Android vs. iOS. To some the flexibility of Android far outweighs the aesthetics of iOS (simplistics, as they would say). To others the simplicity of iOS is far more valuable.

More pointless drivel from "geek". He was speaking specifically about apps, NOT ease of use.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:56 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #9 · Tablet help

Regarding apps - I have both an Android tablet and iPad2 so I have experience with both market places. I think when companies create apps, they are more inclined to roll out the iOS app first. However most developers and companies see the benefit of being on both platforms. The VAST MAJORITY of apps are available on both platforms.

One thing I have noticed is that I have to pay for a lot of the apps on iOS when the exact same app from the exact same developer/company is free on the Android platform. Of even if the Android app has a cost, it is many times lower than the cost for the same iOS app.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password