Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

supermarvin76
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

I know almost nothing about monitor calibrations, except I know I need to get it done.....

I use a MacBook Pro, and would like to know how exactly does calibrating the monitor work? Not all the technicalities, but I wonder, as far as I know, all I can adjust on it is the brightness.

Also, I've been thinking about picking up a lower (sub $300) IPS monitor. I think NEC has one on B&H for $299

Any tips or recommendations, Huey vs Spyder, monitor recommendations, or any other infor would be great.

Thank you.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:37 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

I recommend the i1Display Pro. You'll be able to use that on the NEC monitor you eventually get (the Colormunki Display will not (mfgr software lockout)). The NEC P221 is a good entry level unit.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:56 AM
supermarvin76
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

What about calibrating the MacBook Pro? Will that make it a useful monitor?

I'm concerned about the brightness of he MacBook display.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:41 PM
beccaquint

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

No idea as to recommending a low-end monitor, but I do recommend a Spyder. You can pick up a used Spyder 3 fairly cheaply, and as long as it has not been used intensively (work/education, calibrating 10+ computers monthly), it will work just fine. It will walk you through adjusting the brightness of your MBP.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:10 PM
supermarvin76
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

beccaquint wrote:
No idea as to recommending a low-end monitor, but I do recommend a Spyder. You can pick up a used Spyder 3 fairly cheaply, and as long as it has not been used intensively (work/education, calibrating 10+ computers monthly), it will work just fine. It will walk you through adjusting the brightness of your MBP.

Thank you. Two more questions.

Aside from the brightness, I'm presuming it will calibrate the colors on the MBP as well? How does this happen since there are no color adjustments I know of on my MBP?

Another question I have is this.... Once it is calibrated, can I change the brightness for when I use the web, of other non-photo related programs, and then just change the brightness back to its calibrated state when I am working with photos? Or once I change the brightness, the entire calibration is ruined?

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

it does it by adjusting the internal 'lookup table' of the video chip inside the computer.

Laptops are notorious for being so-so/mediocre as a high accuracy calibrated screen due to changing viewing angles and low bit depth.

Make sure the calibrator can actually handle the LED backlight of recent Macbook Pros.

Generally, once you calibrate, you *really* do not want to go in and mess w/ brightness

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:33 PM
supermarvin76
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

Is it feasible to calibrate an second monitor that I could use for photo editing, and then I could fiidle with the MBP brightness without any concern?

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:16 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

sure

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:18 PM
supermarvin76
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Calibrate MacBook Pro monitor?

Working with a MBP.... Which would you recommend? Why?

Viewsonic VP2365-LED:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798329-REG/Viewsonic_VP2365_LED_VP2365_LED_23_Widescreen_LED.html

or,

NEC EA232WMI-BK
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750473-REG/NEC_EA232WMI_BK_EA232WMI_BK_23_Eco_Friendly_Widescreen.html

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password