Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

dsr1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

Everybody's talking about the 7D & 60D updates but didn't the 60D come out a year later than the 7D? Is the thinking that both will be updated?

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:33 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

dsr1 wrote:
Everybody's talking about the 7D & 60D updates but didn't the 60D come out a year later than the 7D? Is the thinking that both will be updated?

Not sure when they came out but I think the 7D is in their professional line so it probably doesn't get updated as often as their 60D line. I think the Rebels are about every 12 months and the 60D line is about every 18 months.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:51 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #3 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

If the 60D doesn't get a replacement in Augist, it will be the longest living xxD camera ever - at 2+ years.
The 7D is already the longest living crop camera.

So, both cameras are (over)due for updates.
I think, though, that the 60D will get a replacement early next year.
And that the 7D will be the last of its kind.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:59 AM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.1 #4 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

D. Diggler wrote:
Not sure when they came out but I think the 7D is in their professional line so it probably doesn't get updated as often as their 60D line. I think the Rebels are about every 12 months and the 60D line is about every 18 months.

Doesn't the rebel line get a new camera every 2 months??

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:33 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

7D is out 3 years come September, so must be getting close for upgrade, but given the nature of the massive 2.0 FW, I don't think it will upgraded before PMA next year around February. Maybe they are debating whether crop camera should get 5D III AF

60D might still get upgraded first as they probably sell a lot more. The Rebels get upgraded yearly so I'd expect xxD to be every two years and it must be close.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:46 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

Bullseye5d2 wrote:
Doesn't the rebel line get a new camera every 2 months??

No that's the Sony alpha's
The Nikon rebel equive's seem to be every 6months

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:16 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

Does the 60D need upgrading? Or the 7D? What do either of these cameras really lack?

I think we are now off the steep part of the development curve on DSLR's, and its natural that product cycles will get longer.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:25 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

15Bit wrote:
Does the 60D need upgrading? Or the 7D? What do either of these cameras really lack?

I think we are now off the steep part of the development curve on DSLR's, and its natural that product cycles will get longer.

True enough , but the marketing departments like a new shiny thing to sell.
Just look at the rebels . What has really changed since the t2i ?
It's the same with all of the brands.
My guess is the 70D will be along pretty soon.
Just look at the timeline of the xxD line
10D mar/03
20D Sep/04
30D Mar/06
40D Sep/07
50D sep/08
60D sep/10

So the 50D was 6 months early and the 60D put the line on a seamingly 2 yr cycle. So I can't think the 70d won't come in September.

Will it be a vast improvement ? Probably not. Maybe the hybrid AF will find its way in there . Maybe improved AF sensor array . But don't expect huge upgrades

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:40 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

15Bit wrote:

The only thing I really want is ECF so I won't have to diddle the joystick thingie for AF point selection. Methinks most other folk crave a couple more stops 'o DR and high ISO. That's okay but I don't shoot where I can't see and you can't even print the current DR (unless you compress the heck out of the DR). Maybe some want a direct upload to FB and iTunes compatibility

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:39 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

Having used a 5D, 5DII, 5DIII, 40D and a 60D, I will say of those bodies the 60D was by a far margin, my least favorite and least used digital body ever.

My 60D is gone now and I wouldn't use one like it again, unless Canon (re) re-thought how the xxD series is made. For instance, the physical UI, firmware/hardware things like the lack of manual adjust for ultra-fast lenses, and that funky mini-grip that it has.

No one thing can be all things to all people, of course. But with Canon that seems to me more of an accounting and marketing challenge, than an engineering one. Canon can do many things in the engineering arena

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

15Bit wrote:

With the 650D specs being so close to the 60D, there really isn't much point buying the 60D unless you want the bigger viewfinder and the rear control wheel, so I would think Canon would release the 70D before the 7D Mk II.

Hopefully Canon will go back to the metal bodies for the XXD line, and put in a different autofocus setup (the 9 point arrangement has been around since 2004!) if the rumors are true, the 70D will get the 7D's 19 pt autofocus while the 7D Mk II will get the 5D Mk III autofocus.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #12 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

I was just thinking of getting one too, haven't upgraded since I bought my 20D. The new 19 pt Autofocus would be great especially for BIF.
Since I tend to hang on to a camera longer than most, maybe waiting is a good idea.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:23 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

Gochugogi wrote:
The only thing I really want is ECF so I won't have to diddle the joystick thingie for AF point selection. Methinks most other folk crave a couple more stops 'o DR and high ISO. That's okay but I don't shoot where I can't see and you can't even print the current DR (unless you compress the heck out of the DR). Maybe some want a direct upload to FB and iTunes compatibility

I would love ECF also, but i can see it might not be easy coupling ECF with a sophisticated modern tracking AF like the 7d and 5DIII have.

I think i can live without Facebook and iTunes on my camera....

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:37 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #14 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

I'm hoping for the 19 pt AF the 7D has plus higher ISO. I wanted the 7D AF selection when I bought the 60D but not the 7D size and weather proofing. I was thinking Canon had to upgrade AF the next time around when I bought the 60D, my first Canon DSLR. I just hope they don't make 70D large like 7D.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:59 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

15Bit wrote:
I would love ECF also, but i can see it might not be easy coupling ECF with a sophisticated modern tracking AF like the 7d and 5DIII have.

I think i can live without Facebook and iTunes on my camera....

Perhaps, but they managed to incorporation ECF into the 45-pt array of the 1998 EOS 3 so I bet they could do it one better 14 years later.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:12 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #16 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

I was told by people, that Canon is not going to make a 7D-2. I was looking into a 7D as back-up and the guy was telling me about it.

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

broncoholic wrote:
I was told by people, that Canon is not going to make a 7D-2. I was looking into a 7D as back-up and the guy was telling me about it.

Before or after Canon publishes the new FW for the 7D?

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

broncoholic wrote:
I was told by people, that Canon is not going to make a 7D-2.

And what makes these people so knowledgeable

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

15Bit wrote:

They lack AF AI-Servo that is as good as a 1DMk4 or a 5DMk3.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:15 AM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #20 · Should the 60D be updated this year or next?

I am just saying what I was told, I am not trying to start anything!

Take it for what is worth, I guess basically nothing, just trying to make friends and be part of this community.

I guess maybe I was wrong to post it, sorry!

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password