Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · People pics with bad lighting.

DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · People pics with bad lighting.

Just having some thoughts about this subject, and some of the posts/portraits I see here.

Caveat: I don't pretend to be the best portrait artist on the block.

That said:

I see quite a lot of posts here sharing some nice portrait work, but not great. I have this feeling that only a few people shooters can "see" light. I mean, good lighting. Shaping light, sculpting, flattering, beautiful, eye popping lighting.

What would it be like to craft as shot versus taking one?

So, I got to thinking, wouldn't it be good for lots of the posters on this forum (those who don't really know lighting too well in particular) to begin a monthly challenge. One that will help us to learn lighting.

Perhaps a more experienced portraitist here could share a shot that shows such lighting, then have the learning crowd dissect and attempt to create that look with whatever lighting they have.

…perhaps there could be another for composition as it pertains to portraiture?

Thoughts?

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:14 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · People pics with bad lighting.

David
I read this earlier and was interested in what responces you would get.
The fact you got no responces highlights what I see happening on many forums.

Pros don't really want to give away what they know, many threads go unanswered, as you said so many average photos get posted and posters ask how can I improve and none of the pros offer any advice.

Aug 04, 2012 at 03:30 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · People pics with bad lighting.

David, I'm REALLY confused as to what you're asking for. Maybe that's the reason nobody responded. Why not start us off with an example project?

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · People pics with bad lighting.

^^^I'm with jfinite...I'd be interested in participating but am not sure of what you are looking for...

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:05 PM

jwp721
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · People pics with bad lighting.

bbourizk wrote:
Pros don't really want to give away what they know...

Seriously? I think you are off on this one. I have found many people in the forums to be helpful. Today I enjoy taking portraits and it is all because of so many people willing to share as much as they do.

I bought my first slr camera in 1980 and struggled for years to figure out how to take a portait picture I would be proud of. Eventually I gave up and quit shooting for years. Seven years ago I bought my first dSLR and found the world of forums and professionals willing to share their knowlege freely. Behind the scene shots, lighting diagrams, equipment lists, etc. I have even found pictures I liked in online galleries and sent e-mails asking questions and to date every one has been answered. Most people share what they are comfortable sharing and that is fine with me. Lisa for example doesn't share her post processing recipes, but she does share her before and afters from time to time which to me is even more valuable. I truly enjoy seeing her pull back shots when she shares those!

Back to the OP... I think you have a great idea and there was another forum that I used to visit that did exactly what you suggested (I think the forum was part of a company that sold backgrounds?). They had threads for 1 light, 2 lights, 3 lights, 1 light with grid, broad lighting, short lighting, etc. The thread starter would post a lighting diagram along with a sample picture and then others would post their attempts. The critiques were somewhat subjective, but at least people were trying different things....

Hope it works out..... I know I will learn something.

John

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:25 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · People pics with bad lighting.

DavidWEGS wrote:
I see quite a lot of posts here sharing some nice portrait work, but not great. I have this feeling that only a few people shooters can "see" light. I mean, good lighting. Shaping light, sculpting, flattering, beautiful, eye popping lighting.

Can you point us to some posts that have photos illustrating what you consider good light? Are you interested in studio lighting? outdoor (environmental) lighting? Do you prefer traditional portraiture or a more casual style?

If you could give us a better idea of what you're looking for, you might get more responses and participation.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · People pics with bad lighting.

Too many egos to pull something like that off here....

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:56 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · People pics with bad lighting.

I think (not easy at times) this forum could take a hint from the Sports forum, where honest critiques are the norm. And by critiques I mean critical observations that spell out what can/should be improved. In other words, the new school of thought that you learn by making and having pointed out, your mistakes.. IMHO

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:23 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password