New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · storing images options

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · storing images options

I will be spending two weeks in Serengeti, with 3 cameras, D4,D3 and D7000. Each "glued" to its lens. Now I will shoot a lot. I have bought some new fast CFs, and others. The fast ones are expensive. Problem: I know i will shoot a lot. But I can't keep on buying CFs...I have no idea how many Gigs I will burn through.
So I am thinking about getting a Netbook (small+light) and an external harddrive 500gigs, iTB? So I know I will not be able to shoot through...
Any of you been through al this process? and how was your solution?

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:12 PM

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · storing images options

when we went to NZ for a month, i took two passport drives and used the main drive on a netbook, with everything backed up tripple. worked fine. on way home all items got split just incase a bag was lost.

s

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:57 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · storing images options

parsons wrote:
when we went to NZ for a month, i took two passport drives and used the main drive on a netbook, with everything backed up tripple. worked fine. on way home all items got split just incase a bag was lost.

s

Thanks for the great idea. i think i will do just that.
bob

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:35 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · storing images options

You have cameras with two memory slots. Then you can buy some slow memory cards as backup cards. Slow memory cards are very cheap today. After shooting you can copy your pics from you fast cards to those slow cards in your camera. It will take no space or weight. And probably cost you less than the passport drives/netbook option.

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:00 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · storing images options

Lars Johnsson wrote:
You have cameras with two memory slots. Then you can buy some slow memory cards as backup cards. Slow memory cards are very cheap today. After shooting you can copy your pics from you fast cards to those slow cards in your camera. It will take no space or weight. And probably cost you less than the passport drives/netbook option.

That is another nice option. I just bought a Seagate Goflex a little bigger than my wallet and
virtually "unlimited" storage capacity=1TB. So I am sure I will not run out of CFs. From Costco $79.99, a price of one decent CF.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:47 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · storing images options

I like your solution. I'm not a big fan of using a ton of memory cards. I would be taking a laptop of some sort anyway for internet access and entertainment, so why not use it for storage. I just ordered a Passport drive for redundancy. A netbook is inexpensive and will work. But, there are small notebooks available now that offer more power, light weight, and great displays.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · storing images options

You can try one of the Nexto backup drives.
No need for a laptop or netbook. No need for extra hard drives.
http://www.nextodi.com/product/en_nd2730.html

If you want redundancy then you'd have to have enough memory cards to cover your needs then backup to the Nexto.
If you go the netbook + HD method, you'll need two backup drives unless your netbook has a huge drive, which they usually don't.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · storing images options

surf monkey wrote:
You can try one of the Nexto backup drives.
No need for a laptop or netbook. No need for extra hard drives.
http://www.nextodi.com/product/en_nd2730.html

If you want redundancy then you'd have to have enough memory cards to cover your needs then backup to the Nexto.
If you go the netbook + HD method, you'll need two backup drives unless your netbook has a huge drive, which they usually don't.

My strategy is to store the RAWs in the HD and the JPGs fine in the Netbook.

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:32 AM
DJP55

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · storing images options

Personally I never delete pictures. It gets expensive quickly, but every day I'm at work I see hard drives fail, including brand new drives and external drives. I would probably personally go netbook and ext. drive if I were you, so then you can delete them off the cards. Chances of both drives failing at once are astronomically low, but chances of one new drive failing arent as low as one would hope

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:17 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · storing images options

" netbook and ext. drive " that is what I have. Thanks.

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:56 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.