Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Don't look if you upset easily.

David Kirsch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Don't look if you upset easily.

So what's the big deal? We've all been told countless times that those little scratches and cracks on the front lens element don't show up in the pictures. Just slap it on the body and go shooting.

But seriously Roger, please let us know if you are successful in getting a working 1.0 out of this and your burned out copy.

David

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:24 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Don't look if you upset easily.

wickerprints wrote:

Canon, if you're listening...PLEASE. I'm begging you. Bring this design back. Bring it back and make it even better.

I would pay up to $4,500 for a new 50mm .95/1.0L with improved optics (good as the 85L) and faster AF. Never cared for sharpness or the terrible bokeh from the current 50 1.0L.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Don't look if you upset easily.

The soft, funky edges and corners of that lens turned me off. It was a great conversation piece though.

EBH

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:08 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Don't look if you upset easily.

You still have the box?....

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Don't look if you upset easily.

I think John Power already has it by now.

EBH

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:27 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Don't look if you upset easily.

joeisayo wrote:
..... Never cared for sharpness or the terrible bokeh from the current 50 1.0L.

I am happy with mine - imo, 50L1.0 AF is faster and optical performance is the same as 85L1.2 and ofcourse only in 50mm instead of 85mm. It is all about finding a good one....1st hand experience supprise here AWESOME BOKEH TOO It's a beautiful lens...pin sharp & excellent colors....yes, no joke here.

[email protected] and 6-7 meters away sample: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8428/7614275722_435d20504c_k.jpg

Sorry for your lost, Roger. Not easy to find a good one for sure....

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:32 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Don't look if you upset easily.

ducktape it. I don't see what's the issue here.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:05 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Don't look if you upset easily.

DmitriM wrote:
ducktape it. I don't see what's the issue here.

Ducktape? come on man... You're going to need clear tape here, use some packing tape.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Curtiss Bryant
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Don't look if you upset easily.

RCicala wrote:
None. We don't do security deposits. The renter (like almost all of us) is a standup guy. We'll work out some payments when we figure out what the cost is. He'll actually be OK since we should be able to create a new one in house for the cost of the broken one.

If he had the rental insurance, would that have covered it? If so, that would mean you have to eat the cost right?

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:06 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Don't look if you upset easily.

onegreatcity wrote:
I worked with 'dang video guys' for nearly 25 years and never witnessed such carnage. Sorry for everyone's misfortune in this case...

For some reason, at the football games I've covered, if someone on the sideline is going to get plastered by a football player running/diving out of bounds, it's a video guy. I guess with those wide-range video zoom lenses (not the huge ones on mega-tripods), as one zooms wide to keep the action in the frame, it's easy to forget that 'objects are closer than they appear.'

Roger, your reconstruction would make an interesting blog post!

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:57 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Don't look if you upset easily.

Curtiss Bryant wrote:
If he had the rental insurance, would that have covered it? If so, that would mean you have to eat the cost right?

Yeah, the rental insurance would have covered him completely. But he wanted to save the $14 cause his budget was tight.

Aug 03, 2012 at 06:42 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Don't look if you upset easily.

Ouch!

Aug 03, 2012 at 07:30 AM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Don't look if you upset easily.

I guess mine just went up in value a bit more.

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:24 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Don't look if you upset easily.

There is a 50 f/1.0 within miles of me? That's probably the closest I will get to one

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:15 AM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Don't look if you upset easily.

Not any more. Moved to the north side of Dallas a couple of years ago.

Still, you're within 300 miles or so of one.

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:44 AM
jojosung
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Don't look if you upset easily.

DavidP wrote:
I guess mine just went up in value a bit more.

wow so the Canon 50mm f/1.0L is the Ferrari Enzo of the lenses.. and I thought it was the Leica Noc.

according to a news article I saw at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2133890/Limited-edition-1million-Ferrari-abandoned-British-owner-auctioned-Dubai.html

Enzos, first built in 2002, are so rare that every time one crashes the others increase in value.

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:48 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Don't look if you upset easily.

Working on a Subaru Forester commercial, I witnessed the camera pick up start driving before the camera man was ready. He had a 24mm Panavision lens on his knee. It fell off, and rolled out of the back of the truck. I'm pretty sure I saw the director holding back tears.

I feel your pain (almost). What a sick feeling. Sorry for your loss.

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:58 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Don't look if you upset easily.

rscheffler wrote:
For some reason, at the football games I've covered, if someone on the sideline is going to get plastered by a football player running/diving out of bounds, it's a video guy. I guess with those wide-range video zoom lenses (not the huge ones on mega-tripods), as one zooms wide to keep the action in the frame, it's easy to forget that 'objects are closer than they appear.'

Roger, your reconstruction would make an interesting blog post!

I remember in NASCAR, an infield photographer was shooting a car that had hit the wall and slid into the infield. It hit the photographer. He saw it coming, but through the lens, it didn't seem close enough to be a factor yet. He was planning to move but thought he had time. Nope. He got airborne. Maybe something to remember when a bear is coming after you!

Maybe with the IR focusing assist, in the future the camera can measure the camera subject distance and flash a message, "Warning: Object in lens is a hell of a lot closer than you think!"

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:05 AM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Don't look if you upset easily.

mco_970 wrote:
Awwww, bummer! I am not sure who to hug, Roger or the lens.

The lens looks too "sharp" to hug.

Glenn

Aug 04, 2012 at 11:34 AM
andyz
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Don't look if you upset easily.

You could use the lens and say it is the new kaleidoscope style. It could be a fad and you could sell this lens for a profit.

Sorry. It is a sad thing but I suppose a risk in the rental business.

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:32 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.