Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 1DX ergonomics

VladiD
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX ergonomics

It is just me or is the 1DX a bit of a brick?

It seems significantly thicker than the 1d4, which (imo) was fantastically balanced and comfortable. The 1DX just seems like a meathead.

Technically it is quite divine tho, gotta give it that.

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:24 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX ergonomics

Hard to say without holding one,

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:26 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX ergonomics

I have both in front of me right now, it feels slightly heavier and feels more 'beefy', all in a good way

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:05 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX ergonomics

I like the 1DX better than the 1Ds3 from an ergo standpoint (well and all others, too).

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX ergonomics

Haven't even seen one, but the fact it's 180g heavier than the 1D IV and basically the same weight as the 1D II with it's osmium battery, is very disappointing.

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:43 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX ergonomics

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Haven't even seen one, but the fact it's 180g heavier than the 1D IV and basically the same weight as the 1D II with it's osmium battery, is very disappointing.

Just add the RRS L-bracket and you won't notice

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Chriswong1973

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX ergonomics

stanj wrote:
I like the 1DX better than the 1Ds3 from an ergo standpoint (well and all others, too).

+1 I like the ergonomics on it better that the 1DsII as well...

-c

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM
VladiD
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX ergonomics

stanj wrote:

Do you have freakishly large hands?

I have pretty large hands and I felt like I had a hard time getting it comfortable when fondling it at B&H today.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX ergonomics

I think the weight increase is likely the main reason it seems different. Over all I am fine with it, but have not done a lot of hand held shooting yet. And my hands are a fairly normal "medium" size. Remember that the extra weight is giving you a little more battery energy, more motors to drive the internal systems better and faster, more computing power to provide more features, and a better LCD dispaly. But yes, it is the new record holder for weight for the 1D series camera.

To me the actual shape of the main hand grip is nice, and very similar to the 1D4. The alternate hand grip of the 1DX is I think better shaped than the one on the 1D4, and almost identical to the main 1DX grip. One thing I noticed right away is that the rubberized covering on the body of the 1DX that is installed in most all the places you would hold or grip the camera seems significantly better than what is on my 1D4, and I expect it to be helpful when in damp or unusual conditons. It seems to have a better texture, and it also seems to have a rubber compound that is tackier.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX ergonomics

Pixel Perfect wrote:

watch the Olympics!!

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX ergonomics

stanj wrote:

VladiD wrote:
Do you have freakishly large hands?

I have pretty large hands and I felt like I had a hard time getting it comfortable when fondling it at B&H today.

Don't know about freakishly, but I'd say definitely above average sized. I like the size, even with the RRS plate attached.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:21 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX ergonomics

The camera weight, size and shape doesn't seem out of 1D line to me.
It is the camera controls where I am having problems.

The CF card compartment door latch is in the wrong place. So is the image zoom in button.

I still have to look for ISO, AF and drive pushbuttons.
The other day I couldn't even switch from CF1 to CF2.
Tried to zoom into an image and couldn't do it all the way either.
When holding the camera normally, my thumb is now resting on top of some buttons located in that area of the grip.

I guess it takes a while to get used to a new interface although it is a better one.

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:39 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX ergonomics

PetKal wrote:
When holding the camera normally, my thumb is now resting on top of some buttons located in that area of the grip.

I assume you mean the live view/movie and AF-ON buttons. It was the very first thing I noticed about the camera on seeing pictures of it, and it's disappointing that at least some have found it to be a real problem. Does it affect the stability of your grip with long lenses? Are you accidentally operating the buttons?

But I have to say that the old location of AF-ON, on the shoulder rather than a flat part, means I operate it with the side of my thumb, and if I do that enough the quick gets sore. Whoever designs these things must have very short thumbs.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:45 AM
satoru
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX ergonomics

Just feels more comfy to me and my smaller hands compared to my 1dsiii

Ergo wise I like it better.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:58 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX ergonomics

VladiD wrote:
It is just me or is the 1DX a bit of a brick?

It seems significantly thicker than the 1d4, which (imo) was fantastically balanced and comfortable. The 1DX just seems like a meathead.

Meathead? I prefer to call it brawny.

I don't have big hands, but the grip feels pretty darn good to me. It is taller than a 1D Mark IV partly because of the larger viewfinder, but you gotta give some to get some.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:04 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX ergonomics

melcat wrote:
I assume you mean the live view/movie and AF-ON buttons. It was the very first thing I noticed about the camera on seeing pictures of it, and it's disappointing that at least some have found it to be a real problem. Does it affect the stability of your grip with long lenses? Are you accidentally operating the buttons?

But I have to say that the old location of AF-ON, on the shoulder rather than a flat part, means I operate it with the side of my thumb, and if I do that enough the quick gets sore. Whoever designs these things
...Show more

Yes, those are the buttons. Mind you, I haven't operated inadvertently any of them yet, and I have AF left on the main shutter release button, it is just a bit disconcerting to be feeling some buttons in the grip, however, I am sure I will stop noticing it in due course, it's just a matter of getting used to some newness.

What is interesting is that with 7D I do not have any issues with the pushbutton location.
However, I suppose when picking up large form 1DX, I automatically expect the same interface as 1DMkIIN/1DsMkII which I have used for years. For example, when wanting to change ISO, I am still reaching with two fingers of my left hand to those two pushbuttons on the left top panel of the camera......well, those ain't working on 1DX that way, there is a separate ISO pushbutton on the right top panel now.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:26 AM
ragebot
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX ergonomics

I did notice the buttons on my 1dx are different than on my 1d4.

On the other hand I have been spending lots of time recently trying to upgrade my skills using my 7d in a Nauticam housing doing underwater photography.

http://nauticam.com/

The way the controls are set up I am using my thumb to move the shutter release lever on the outside of the housing that pushes down the shutter release button on the 7d.

Any Canon body I have ever seen is a piece of cake compared to using an underwater housing and its strangely placed controls. I have been taking the camera/housing into the pool at my condo and messing around just trying to do simple things like firing the camera. Sometimes I wonder if peeps don't spend too much time looking for problems where they don't exist.

Here is a shot from yesterday.

http://www.pbase.com/tommy2guns/image/145150479/original.jpg

Aug 02, 2012 at 04:55 PM
jwasacz

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX ergonomics

Feels just right to me in my bigger mitt.

Aug 04, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Exit
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX ergonomics

The camera feels good in the hand. Still getting used to the button layout and I don't really like the new button for zooming in, but I'm sure that can be changed back to the old style somehow

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:09 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX ergonomics

stanj wrote:
Just add the RRS L-bracket and you won't notice

! Or a super telephoto!

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end