Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed is my was of saying I have a conundrum brewing... We are retired, Our home is up for sale, the RV is loaded and once we sell we are hitting the highway for one - two years, God willing... Before leaving I want to pickup the perfect landscape camera and lens... I currently have the Canon 1DsII, 7D, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS, 85 F1.8, 100 F2.8, & the 300 F2.8 IS... Also the Sigma 150 F2.8, the Sigma 120-300 F2.8, and the usual tripods, flashes, etc... There is nothing wrong with what I have, other than no live-view on the 1DsII.. What would be "Your" perfect landscape Camera & lens / lenses?? It can be manual / AF, DSLR, Med. Format, Large format... We have nothing but time to kill seeing this country... Thank you, Jim

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Red 90
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

I would choose the 24mm LII TS-E lens or the 17mm TS-E lens. With those you can correct for the vertical distortions as well as change your focal plane. You can also combine shots by shifting to get a wider panoramic if needed. I don't have one, but it would be my choice... So darn expensive :P

One thing that doesn't help in your case is you don't have live view. The TS-E lenses manual lenses that could benefit from either a different focusing screen or live view to aid in focusing for the landscapes.

The focal choice for you since you have a 7D would probably be a 17mm TS-E lens. However I'm not sure if you can put filters on that lens. Typical with landscapes, I like to use gradient filters or ND filters depending on what I shoot.

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Use your 1DsII and the 17-40 (or get a TS-E 17mm f/4L). Good luck with the home sale and enjoy retirement, just post some pictures so we can be jealous.

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:35 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

oldrattler wrote:
... I currently have the Canon 1DsII, 7D, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS, 85 F1.8, 100 F2.8, & the 300 F2.8 IS... Also the Sigma 150 F2.8, the Sigma 120-300 F2.8, and the usual tripods, flashes, etc...We have nothing but time to kill seeing this country... Thank you, Jim

Wow! How big is your motorhome? You seem well equipped right now but no doubt you'll get a great many suggestions. Safe travels, post your images and enjoy the journey...
-Cam

Edited on Aug 01, 2012 at 09:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Looks like some people are falling into the "landscape implies wide angle" trap.

The perfect landscape lens is a sharp lens. I've used sharp lenses from 10 mm to 400 mm for landscapes.

oldrattler wrote:
I currently have the Canon 1DsII, 7D, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS, 85 F1.8, 100 F2.8, & the 300 F2.8 IS.

Don't settle for "the usual tripod". Get a really good one. I recommend a carbon fiber with three section legs and no (NO) center column and a substantial ball head. I went Gitzo and RRS big ballhead and it has never let me down and I think it will serve me for decades should I live that long. You can do super-easy panos on that at any angle (including downlooking and uplooking) because it has a bubble in the legs and a bubble in the head. Think about an Omni Pivot Pro from RRS for multi-row panos.

Your weakest lens is the 17-40. The 24-105 should do you for moderately wide angles, so replace the 17-40 with the 16-35 Mark II or possibly the Nikkor 14-24 with an adapter. On the 7D, the Canon 10-22 is a great lens. People rave about the Canon 17mm TSE (as above) and I think it probably lives up to their praise, but I'm likely to get the Canon 24 TSE first, now that Canon has substantially improved it with the Mark II.

As to camera, it is hard to beat the 5D Mark III for image quality.

Many people say the Nikon D800 is a great camera for detailed landscapes, but I'm not sure the optics are as good as Canon optics except for that wide angle zoom, but you can use that on the Canon anyway.

Beyond that, investigate 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 view cameras (film or scanning backs), but that is a much more serious commitment to practice, learning, workflow, and indeed to lifestyle.

Edited on Aug 01, 2012 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:50 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Good luck Jim, can't wait to see the pictures! Oh, and I hope my husband never sees this thread, it will only give him ideas.

As to your dilemma, you've got a pretty good line-up there, but I would have to agree with Monito, swapping out your current two bodies for a 5DIII, or swapping just the 1DsII, would be a pretty good choice IMHO. I have both the 16-35 F2.8 II and the 24-105 for my 5DII and the 24-105 is my go-to lens unless I need ultra wide.

Jo

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:15 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

I have the 1ds2 as well and the ZE21 is "da bomb", for me anyway. And the ZE50 as well as the ZE100. But I print, if you only want them on the computer what you have will work fine.
Oh and have fun!

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:17 PM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

I agree with the "really good tripod" comment. Good luck and have fun!

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:25 PM
dmahar

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Another vote for the 5Diii. I would swap out the 17-40 for a 16-35ii. If the fabled 24-70 ever turns up it should be a killer general purpose landscape lens.

I am envious of your trip - have a great time.

Doug

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:29 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

I would throw an old rattle snake or two in the camper to keep thieves away. That's an awful lot of nice gear...

I'd go 5D2 or 5D3 depending on finances, and the 24 TSE II. I would not pick up the 17, by the time you add the pano-shift capability of the 24 TSE, it should be wide enough. You can look at the charts to see what the angle of view is when it's fully shifted. I have not looked at them for a while, but I remember the answer is Very Wide.

But I really like the ZE 21, too!

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Red 90 wrote:
I would choose the 24mm LII TS-E lens or the 17mm TS-E lens. With those you can correct for the vertical distortions as well as change your focal plane. You can also combine shots by shifting to get a wider panoramic if needed. I don't have one, but it would be my choice... So darn expensive :P

One thing that doesn't help in your case is you don't have live view. The TS-E lenses manual lenses that could benefit from either a different focusing screen or live view to aid in focusing for the landscapes.

The focal choice for you since
...Show more

Both the 17 mm / 24 mm TS-e are highly recommended.. My 1DsII doesn't have live-view so either I buy another camera or use the 7D, which is not my favorite for landscape... thank you

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:39 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Wobble wrote:
Use your 1DsII and the 17-40 (or get a TS-E 17mm f/4L). Good luck with the home sale and enjoy retirement, just post some pictures so we can be jealous.

Thank you... This combo is on my camera about 70% of the time but I assume there are better IQ lens available...

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

onegreatcity wrote:
Wow! How big is your motorhome? You seem well equipped right now but no doubt you'll get a great many suggestions. Safe travels, post your images and enjoy the journey...
-Cam

Rv is not that big but we do not require much... Shelter from the elements, couple meals a day and someplace to sleep... Oh ya, Great landscapes required...

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:43 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Monito wrote:
Looks like some people are falling into the "landscape implies wide angle" trap.

The perfect landscape lens is a sharp lens. I've used sharp lenses from 10 mm to 400 mm for landscapes.

Don't settle for "the usual tripod". Get a really good one. I recommend a carbon fiber with three section legs and no (NO) center column and a substantial ball head. I went Gitzo and RRS big ballhead and it has never let me down and I think it will serve me for decades should I live that long. You can do super-easy panos on that at any angle (including
...Show more

Thank you so much... I am a UWA type of guy but enjoy playing with DOF on the Sigma 120-300.. Compression can change everything... The Nikon 14-24 is one I have seriously considered, as well as the 17mm / 24mm TS-e... The 5DIII worries me with the AF luminance difficulty... Not as young as most of you so eyes are not great... Love the 1DsII points as they are big & easy to see... Sorry, I did not elaborate on the "Usual stuff" (Tripod, etc.)... I use the Gitzo 5540L with the RRS BH-55, and a couple lighter models with the BH-40... I have always wanted to get into Large format but would need a teacher, as I know nothing about them...

Edited on Aug 01, 2012 at 10:59 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:52 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Wow...nice Jim, I'd like to retire too hopefully soon .

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:55 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
Good luck Jim, can't wait to see the pictures! Oh, and I hope my husband never sees this thread, it will only give him ideas.

As to your dilemma, you've got a pretty good line-up there, but I would have to agree with Monito, swapping out your current two bodies for a 5DIII, or swapping just the 1DsII, would be a pretty good choice IMHO. I have both the 16-35 F2.8 II and the 24-105 for my 5DII and the 24-105 is my go-to lens unless I need ultra wide.

Jo

Thanks Jo... It takes a "Gypsy mentality" to travel as we plan... But this has been our goal for 45 years... 5DIII will most-likely be my camera, as the 1Dx is way too expensive for me... I could buy 3-4 lenses for that amount...

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:03 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

john_edwards wrote:
I have the 1ds2 as well and the ZE21 is "da bomb", for me anyway. And the ZE50 as well as the ZE100. But I print, if you only want them on the computer what you have will work fine.
Oh and have fun!

Thanks John... I have dreamed of the Zeiss 21mm, 35mm, 50mm & 100mm but am not sure I could focus them with the 1DsII... Old eyes... By the way we are taking our Epson 2880 with us... I love to print and give to family members...

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

zquaratella wrote:
I agree with the "really good tripod" comment. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you so much...

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

dmahar wrote:
Another vote for the 5Diii. I would swap out the 17-40 for a 16-35ii. If the fabled 24-70 ever turns up it should be a killer general purpose landscape lens.

I am envious of your trip - have a great time.

Doug

Thanks Doug... I never even thought about the 24-70 II... If it ever shows up on the market I'll give it a try... 5DIII seems to be the consensus... I plan on keeping the 1DsII as I love it... I want to get "Newer" technology / live-view for those special lenses...

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

oldrattler wrote:
The 5DIII worries me with the AF luminance difficulty... Not as young as most of you so eyes are not great...

Get the 5D3 and make it work for you. Maybe find or get a custom made baseball hat or other hat that droops down low on the sides to block light, maybe modified with a black underside. Let your eyes get accustomed to the dimmer viewfinder light for at least 10 seconds if you are in a situation where seeing the luminance is difficult. Sometimes, just trust the camera, if you don't have time when you are grabbing a quick shot.

There is no perfect camera. So, personally, given a choice, I go for image quality and then do whatever it takes to make it work and also I don't cry if I don't get every shot.

Go for the 5D3 for what it is good for (a lot) and accept that it is not perfect.

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:17 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password