Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

thelebaron

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Ive been thinking about getting a superwide lens like the 10-22 or 11-16 for my 7d, but I recently realised, they are both around the same price as a used 5d classic. Would it make sense to just buy that instead? Ive kind of always wanted to make the leap to a full frame but at the same time I really love my 7d so Id never straight up get rid of it. At the moment my widest lens is an old 17-35, so my thinking is it would work well with the 5d(other lenses are the 50 1.8 amnd 70-200 f4).

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Although the 5D IQ is superb the body is shite and the lcd is the least colour accurate in the history of lcd's IMO. Coming from a 7D to a 5D would take some mental fortitude. If you love the 7D then I'd recommend a UWA crop lens and wait a few years and skip straight to the 5D III. 7D IQ can be excellent, just keep exposure to the right and use LR4 and it's capable of good things. If ultimately you don't like it it'll be easy enough to sell.

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:59 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

That's a tough call, I shoot crop bodies, 40/50Ds, as well as the EOS3 film cameras. A 24-85 was my widest lens prior to going digital, just wasn't comfortable any wider.

I choose to push my uncomfortable self and go a bit wider and picked up the EF-S 10-22 (equivalent to 16-35 on FF/Film) and love it. But, since I've used the lens these last threes years I'm noticing most of my shots are between 20 and 35mm, below twenty just gets to...difficult...for me (more practice is required.)

Given it's cost I wondered if I might have been better served with the 17-40L as I will be moving to FF in a year or so. But the pluses out weighed minuses given the 10-22 is super sharp, has less distortion then the 17-40 and it has a good resale value. I've had a blast shooting with it, 3yrs and counting and that is a huge bonus, as it was worth exploring 16-35mm and discovering I don't really need/want ultra-wide....yet

Like you I've seriously pondered the 5Dc, would love to shoot digital FF, but for me the lack of Live View, it's older AF and a few other missing features stopped me from buying one. I do envy images it produces however!

I'm guessing the 17-35 you have is the superb f2.8L? If I already had that lens and could give up Live View, give up a good/usable LCD, auto dust removal, use mostly the viewfinder, I might get the 5Dc. Do remember it's 5+ years old, if it needs repairs; like a mirror box and/or a new shutter, that could potentially be another $400 or more on top of your original cost. Get plenty of info from the seller, see when it was last serviced, what the shutter count is.

I've decided to sit FF out for a bit, save for a 5D3, keep myself informed about the new AF systems of the 7D and 5D3; if an update to the 7D comes out with better AF, FF might be even further out...

Good luck with your choice...it is a tough one.

Jerry

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:47 AM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

I faced a similar decision and went with the Tokina 11-16 for my 60D. No regrets whatsoever.

I will eventually go FF (maybe as early as Black Friday this year), and am slowly going towards all EF lenses.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:55 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Congratulations you can't lose. 5d w/17-35 good, I was glad when my 5d broke so I could go back to 11-16 although it works on ff. 5d is a weak camera mechanically iq good though.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:06 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

I would go with a Tokina 11-16. The performance would be much better across the frame I believe.

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:38 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Personally I would go the crop lens route. I npknow others will always say ff . Another body seems great but it's more bulk in the bag than another lens and you have different batteries/charger as well.
5d2 would make an easier partner but would cost a fair bit more.

As for the lens . Bear in mind that even 1 mm is a lot at the UWA end so decide how wide you really want to go. I have the 12-24/4 for my 7d and will say that a lot of times I want wider (I don't tend to use it at the longer end much)
As you have a 17mm then the 11-16 makes a great case for itself . 2.8 and very good will fit in with he 17-35 really well.
The 10-22 looks a great alround UWA as well.
Then I will through in the sigma 8-16 as something that you should look at as well. Yes it's slower which may be the sticking point but those 2 or 3 mm extra make it a super wide

The other consideration could be the fish zoom tokina 10-17 .

I will also add the question.
As you have the 17-35 do you intend to go ff at some point? If not then why not exchange that for the 17-55? And then add one of the above as it's partner.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:00 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

I find the 10-22mm on crop to be much more satisfying than the 17-40mm on FF. Depth of field characteristics mean you can use a larger aperture, thus shoot more handheld, it has less distortion and corners are better. If you don't print big i think the 10-22mm/7D is a better combo than the 17-40mm/5D.

For some other applications though (such as portraits), i think the 5D would be better.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:46 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

IMO 70-200mm is a much more useful range on full frame than on 1.6x crop - but of course, it depends on what you shoot.

There was a running change to the 5D to improve the LCD.

What would you do for a flash? Have you taken account of the cost of buying one to put on the 5D?

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:48 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Given the LCD is not very good on the 5dc I would still recommend it. Going full frame was was huge change for me. I had always had a crop, either 1.6 or 1.3. The biggest difference is how well the primes work. I don't know a way to quantify it but the images seem to have more depth, or something. Fast primes always seemed to have a compressed look to me with a crop. As an added bonus a 35mm prime shoots like a 35 mm prime, you do not have to shoot a 24 to have the same field of view, loosing the depth of field. I guess I just found too many compromises using the 1.6 cameras.
My shooting has been reinvigorated since I went full frame. I am not bashing 1.6 but I really like full frame. As an added bonus the files from the 5Dc are really nice to work with. I miss them when processing the 5d3 files which seem to take much longer.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

I made this comparison myself: I used a Sigma 10-20 lens on my APC-S cropped sensor DSLR, and later upgraded to the 17-40 lens on my full frame 5D II. I didn't expect a difference, but there is definitely one: Distortion at the wide end (10 mm or 17 mm respectively) is much more present with the cropped sensor, especially at the borders of the frame. I highly recommend switching to full frame for ultra wide photos.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:19 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

retrofocus wrote:
I used a Sigma 10-20 lens on my APC-S cropped sensor DSLR, and later upgraded to the 17-40 lens on my full frame 5D II. I didn't expect a difference, but there is definitely one: Distortion at the wide end (10 mm or 17 mm respectively) is much more present with the cropped sensor, especially at the borders of the frame.

If true, this would be an attribute of the lens, not the sensor size. In this case, it is the Sigma lens which is the problem; the OP is talking about the Canon 10-22. Referring to slrgear.com, the Canon 10-22mm has 0.5% distortion @10mm, and the 17-40mm has 1% @17mm.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:37 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

I think you could be happy either way depending on your bent and budget. Everyone has already given you the pros/cons. I had a rebel with the 10-20mm and loved it, but as another poster stated, the wider you go, the harder it will be to find a good near/far composition. It is easier for me as well to find a composition in the 30-50mm range. You don't have to shoot wide for a landscape to look nice. Right now I have a 5Dc and 20mm voigtlander prime. I am very pleased with it. I paid about $1100 for the 5Dc a couple years ago. If I were shopping for a FF body today, I would get the 5D II for around $1600. I wouldn't upgrade to it necessarily, and I am spoiled that my 5Dc (and super tele) was calibrated by Canon so photos are tack sharp. You would have a better LCD with live view. If you do a lot of action photography and need good AF, do not get the 5Dc as your all around camera. I use it for mobile children and birds but having to use center point focus limits my compositions.

Edited on Aug 02, 2012 at 12:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:54 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

The distortion in the 10-22 is certainly noticeable as is the CA. When ever you hear some one talking about the poor BQ of an EF-S lens the 10-22 really fits in that category. It truly feels like a piece of plastic and I don't mean that in a good way, especially the AF/MF switch.
If you want ultra wide for a steady diet go FF as long as you can at least go 5DII. If not then toss a coin and pick between the Canon 10-22 or the Tokina 11-16.

Dave

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Guys I think I need to point out something.

The OP is talking about his 17-35/2.8

Afew of you are assuming the 17-40/4

Just sayin

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

I found the 10-22 to be a great lens, and thats comparing it to a 1DMk2 with 17-40. I found the 17-40 with the 1D just wasn't sharp at all, compared to my old trusty 20D with the 10-22.
Not even close. I even sent in the 17-40 because I thought there was something wrong. I was told it was working fine.
You may also want to consider the 15-85 with IS as well.
I am somewhat in the same boat, and was looking at the 5D classic as well, but now I'm considering the 60D or 7D instead, more towards the 60D, after hearing about issues with noise on the 7D.

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:49 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

The 5d is a great camera for taking pictures. I got one recently and am delighted by its performance. I've heard that its autofocus is weak, but I only use center point on mostly static subjects. I have no problem with the display... I use it to verify sharpness and it works. IQ at low ISO is better than my Nikon d700. Full frame is a lot of fun.

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:53 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Never used 7d but believe 5d will have higher iq and better 1600. Also 5d has low contrast when processed in dpp .

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Get the 5D

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:52 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Buy superwide crop lens or just get a used 5d?

Tough one. I love the 10-22, but since you have the 17-35 I think the 5D is a suitable choice. If you fall in love with FF, then you can just resell it and upgrade when the time is right. I think the bottom line is what do you shoot or like to shoot?, what limitations or improvements do you want from your current gear? what other items are on your wish list? and what is your overall budget in the future beyond this purchase? Everyone's wants and budget on camera gear is different so some need to strategize more than others when purchasing a new item...

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password